• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I have a #1 bottle of hodgon clays lying around. Anyone reload 38 special/357 magnum with this powder? I didn't have much luck reloading this powder for 9mm (fired, no pressure issues, but didn't cycle action) so i figured this would be a good revolver plinking powder.

Hodgon site says 2.8-3.1 gr of powder range, but I've heard several accounts where squibs happened when starting off on the low side of the range. I made a couple of 38 spl rounds with 2.9 gr clays, 158 gr lead boolits, COL 1.475". I'd test them, but the ranges are closed due to quarantine.

EDIT: I meant AGC, which is my local range I go to.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have a #1 bottle of hodgon clays lying around. Anyone reload 38 special/357 magnum with this powder? I didn't have much luck reloading this powder for 9mm (fired, no pressure issues, but didn't cycle action) so i figured this would be a good revolver plinking powder.

Hodgon site says 2.8-3.1 gr of powder range, but I've heard several accounts where squibs happened when starting off on the low side of the range. I made a couple of 38 spl rounds with 2.9 gr clays, 158 gr lead boolits, COL 1.475". I'd test them, but the ranges are closed due to quarantine.

Ranges are NOT closed in Maryland. , Larry Hogan has designated gun stores and shooting ranges as “Essential” businesses that can remain open.

Yep, I've tried Clays too. Mostly in 45 LC and 45 acp. My preference is TiteGroup thou

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Ranges are NOT closed in Maryland. , Larry Hogan has designated gun stores and shooting ranges as “Essential” businesses that can remain open.

Yep, I've tried Clays too. Mostly in 45 LC and 45 acp. My preference is TiteGroup thou

I should have been more specific. I mainly shoot at AGC, which is closed due to COVID-19. I typically use titegroup for my pistol reloads as well.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    I used to run a 122-125gr lrn and 2.8gr Clay's in a .38spl case for my steel challenge load. Any lower and the first shot from a draw was lighter due to the powder being forward. 2.8 was light without issue. Just about as clean as lead can be.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've had very good success with Clays for 38spl loads. It's very accurate and easy shooting. Rather than give you my specific loads. Please go to the Hodgdon reloading data center for specifics that meet your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom