• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Who has one and what's your opinion?

Always wanted one. I love 45s. Now that I've applied for the HQL and have grown up money now may be the time.

Also thought about something a little more vintage. Maybe an AMT Hardballer or something.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    they are pretty cool... I just applied for my HQL also....finally...
    Like you, I'm looking again...

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Love my STI Eagle 6.0 in 9mm. It doesn't even feel like a gun recoiling, more like a machine running, hard to explain, just different...

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Always wanted one. I love 45s. Now that I've applied for the HQL and have grown up money now may be the time.

Also thought about something a little more vintage. Maybe an AMT Hardballer or something.

Needs the appropriate laser sighting to go with it.

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    I was in 2A today and he had two Dan Wesson Bruins, one in .45ACP and one in 10mm.
    Nice looking guns, I really like the "bullnose" muzzle configuration.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have the Springfield TRP in 10mm. So can’t speak to the 45. But the the 6” barrel ups the velocity slightly and the mass of the longer slide softens the recoil. It’s a very soft shooting and accurate pistol.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The AMTs are nice. I have the 4 inch 22 magnum version. They also made a longslide version in 30 carbine.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have the Springfield TRP in 10mm. So can’t speak to the 45. But the the 6” barrel ups the velocity slightly and the mass of the longer slide softens the recoil. It’s a very soft shooting and accurate pistol.

I can imagine one in 9mm would be a pea shooter

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Just do a quick search of amt galling issues so you can avoid that if you decide to go with an older amt.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    AVOID AMT if not at least the older ones. Had a Hardballer and what a debacle. The safety would literally back itself out to the point of falling out, during extended shooting relays. Sent it back - twice - and second time THEY LOST MY GUN! When I sent them a scan of a UPS signature sheet showing it made it to their location and “a foreman” still mouthed sh*t after I gave him time to “try and find” my gun I had had it. Called the local Police Dept the Chamber of Commerce AND the ATF. I have NO idea where that gun is now (probably wound up in the waistband of a bandido :-\ but, I got a check making me whole again. I was just in my early 20’s and so, in hindsight, it was a good lesson for me early in my gun collecting career: “Beware the Cool Factor!”

Arcadia Machine & Tool, commonly abbreviated to AMT, was a firearms manufacturer from Irwindale, California. The company produced several weapons, primarily clones of existing firearms, but made from stainless steel rather than the traditional steel[specify] used for most firearms of the time.
    The company (AMT) filed for bankruptcy after their products were marred with quality and reliability problems, and the assets and trademark were acquired by Irwindale Arms Incorporated (IAI). Later, in 1998, Galena Industries of Sturgis, South Dakota, purchased the company and produced firearms in the style of AMT's until 2001 when Crusader Gun Company (later High Standard Manufacturing Company) of Houston, Texas purchased it.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Machine_&_Tool

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    AVOID AMT if not at least the older ones. Had a Hardballer and what a debacle. The safety would literally back itself out to the point of falling out, during extended shooting relays. Sent it back - twice - and second time THEY LOST MY GUN! When I sent them a scan of a UPS signature sheet showing it made it to their location and “a foreman” still mouthed sh*t after I gave him time to “try and find” my gun I had had it. Called the local Police Dept the Chamber of Commerce AND the ATF. I have NO idea where that gun is now (probably wound up in the waistband of a bandido :-\ but, I got a check making me whole again. I was just in my early 20’s and so, in hindsight, it was a good lesson for me early in my gun collecting career: “Beware the Cool Factor!”

Arcadia Machine & Tool, commonly abbreviated to AMT, was a firearms manufacturer from Irwindale, California. The company produced several weapons, primarily clones of existing firearms, but made from stainless steel rather than the traditional steel[specify] used for most firearms of the time.
    The company (AMT) filed for bankruptcy after their products were marred with quality and reliability problems, and the assets and trademark were acquired by Irwindale Arms Incorporated (IAI). Later, in 1998, Galena Industries of Sturgis, South Dakota, purchased the company and produced firearms in the style of AMT's until 2001 when Crusader Gun Company (later High Standard Manufacturing Company) of Houston, Texas purchased it.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Machine_&_Tool

Perhaps not an AMT then.

Long slide options in todays world still seem limited. I thought Springfield made one but can't find it on their website. As mentioned earlier I know STI does but I don't think I'm loaded enough to buy something from those guys.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    AMT was one of the first to make stainless 1911 pistols. That was also during the time before most companies had stainless construction techniques perfected. I know those who like and collect AMT pistols but all admit that AMT produced two kinds of guns...either good or bad with no in-between. It all came down to who owned the company at the time (the same can be said of other gunmakers as well) and their quality control. I've spotted a couple of AMT guns I wouldn't mind owning but the asking price always seems to be too high. You also have to do some research into what you're looking at...what era it was made and who owned the company at the time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    May as well check out the 2011 offerings and get a 10mm with a 20 round capacity.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I think this is currently the sexiest gun out there. I'm looking forward to treating myself to one once I finish my Glock collection.
    7EmEyXimBJE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom