• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just get more practice and make sure you are using good ammo. 300 yards is not long range. It's an easy shot if you have practiced enough. The rifle and caliber is capable of much more than that.

Just a point of clarification...300 yards to some is a long shot to others its a walk in the park. By sanctioned shooting sports, most agree 600 yards is midrange and 1k long range. There is also extreme long rang stuff which is another animal.

However, if someone hasn't shot past 100 yards ever, shooting 300 yards is long range to them. I remember being that guy less than 10 years ago.

Another thing to mention, shooting 300 yards from a bench is easier than laying prone on a backpack. Shooting 300 yards standing and unsupported is another animal all together. I've been there too, its NOT easy. Anyone who thinks it is, hasn't done it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally I would try zeroing the rifle at say, 150- 200 yards. Would make for a "minute of deer" gun out to about 275 without too much loft or drop on either end of the zero. Past 300 with most .308 hunting loads I think you are approaching the lower end of 1000 ft lb of energy, which quickly make it less than idea for ethical kill range.

The right load can make a big difference. Pick a high BC hunting bullet for longer ranges.

Instead of a wag, use Maximum Point Blank range.

Using my .308 long range load, 175 gr Sierra Match King at 2600 fps, you would zero at 273 yards. And a center hold out to 321 yards will be no more than 5" high or low of the aim point, which is still vital area of a deer.

If you don't have a long range, you would set your sights to hit 4.1" high at 100 yards.

Use JBM Ballistics page to set up your hunting load.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just a point of clarification...300 yards to some is a long shot to others its a walk in the park. By sanctioned shooting sports, most agree 600 yards is midrange and 1k long range. There is also extreme long rang stuff which is another animal.

However, if someone hasn't shot past 100 yards ever, shooting 300 yards is long range to them. I remember being that guy less than 10 years ago.

First time I did Bang Steel, I had an issue with my scope. Once I got it set, I wanted to check my zero. So I went back to the 200 yard target. MAN did the seem CLOSE. :D

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I've hunted out west many times. I hunt with a 260 Remington for deer, mule deer and antelope. 300 Weatherby (300 win mag another great option) for Elk.

I limit myself to 300 yard shots, with my longest shot being 326 yards so far. Hunting out west is much different than hunting eastern whitetail. In my experience, most shots are under pressure. Under pressure physically due to altitude and mentally due to urgency. When a bull elk answers your call and arrives on the scene, you better be ready. It doesn't take long for the bull to realize something is wrong and he's checking out.

Regarding caliber for Elk, a guide once told me, "bring whatever caliber you want as longs as it starts with a 3 and ends with a magnum". I know the debate can go on forever regarding caliber and every guy on the internet believes 6.5 Creedmoor is the pinnacle. This is just an opinion from an experienced guide. Elk are large animals with an extreme will to live. I wouldn't take the chance on a marginal caliber.

Practice is your friend, you have to get comfortable with the longer shots and have your drop generally memorized. Hunting and bench rest are two very different activities. As for drop in hunting scenarios, you just need to know approximates. For example, 200 yards=2"low, 250 yards=4"low, 300 yards=8"low etc. You may consider reading about "maximum point blank zero" its a great tool for hunting.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Another thing to mention, shooting 300 yards from a bench is easier than laying prone on a backpack. Shooting 300 yards standing and unsupported is another animal all together. I've been there too, its NOT easy. Anyone who thinks it is, hasn't done it.

Yeah that's why I say if you've practiced enough. I also struggled at 200-300 years ago. I remember when I was proud to finally be able to hit at 200y with irons. These days, at 300 it's a guaranteed hit. It takes practice to get there.

That's why OP just needs to get on a 200 or 300 yard range and focus on lots of practice with fundamentals using accurate ammo. Heck, even using dry fire practice frequently and trying to shrink 100y groups to 1" or so will do wonders.

First time I did Bang Steel, I had an issue with my scope. Once I got it set, I wanted to check my zero. So I went back to the 200 yard target. MAN did the seem CLOSE. :D

Bang Steel is awesome. However, most of the class is learning how to calculate to make hits at long range and stuff. If OP just wants 200-300 yards, there isn't a lot of correcting. I think just practicing dry fire a lot combined with live 200-300y shooting will be a good start.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bang Steel is awesome. However, most of the class is learning how to calculate to make hits at long range and stuff. If OP just wants 200-300 yards, there isn't a lot of correcting. I think just practicing dry fire a lot combined with live 200-300y shooting will be a good start.

My point was, when you are making hits out to 1000 yards, a 200 - 300 shot seems a short range.

Then, under pressure of a trophy in your sights, you will still make the shot.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Know your bullet drop, get a range finder, PRACTICE. Then in the spring head over to the same fields and shoot some ground hogs. Shoot from the same stands as you deer hunt from using the same rig. If you can take a ground hog at range the vitals of a deer will be huge and you will have the confidence to make the shot. The farmer will be happy to get rid of the ground hogs too. One of my farthest shots on game was a ground hog at 354yds with a .308 pistol with a 15 inch barrel and a 3x9 scope. Your gun is not your limiting factor.

Good luck!
    Walt

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Practice practice practice, good range finder , good optic .308 is / should be more than capable. When field hunting were I feel ranges are / may get out past 400 I like my 300 win mag. But I am comfortable using my 308 . There is no substitute for practice. Imo

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My point was, when you are making hits out to 1000 yards, a 200 - 300 shot seems a short range.

Then, under pressure of a trophy in your sights, you will still make the shot.

Yeah that's true.

My point was mainly that a rifle upgrade is not needed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah that's true.

My point was mainly that a rifle upgrade is not needed.

Look at the Band Steel page about equipment.

Dan took a Walmart Savage in .270, with a Weaver fixed power, coin slot scope, and ran the Band Steel course of fire out to 1000 yards, developing drop tables based on X turns and Y clicks.

Bang Steel is really run anything. Only requirement is 1 MOA at 100 yards.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I've been hunting deer with a Ruger American predator in .308. It's a fine rifle, and has mainly fit my need except for one.

This past season and in the future, I've been given the chance to hunt fairly large farm fields. Some are 1000 yards across. On opening day in WV, I passed on two great deer because they were at 250-300 yards. My confidence in my ability to shoot well at that distance is not great, and is compounded by only having .308 rounds out of a short barrel rifle. Second, I'm gearing up for elk hunts in the next few years, out west. I shot one buck this season at 250-275 yards, and hit him on the first shot, but it was lower than expected. Felt like the bullet is dropping fast at that distance.

So, given that info, what would you do?

1. Get better at shooting what I've got at longer distances?
    2. Switch rifles and/or calibers for all hunts.
    3. Keep the ruger for some hunting, but add a longer range option (flatter like a .25-06, or a magnum).
    4. Other?

How long is the barrel on this rifle?

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    18 inches.

That's plenty of barrel for 400 yards. I would stick with your option #1, and throw some money at a good laser range finder. Use the RF to get your distance and coordinate that against a dope chart that you build specifically for your rifle and ammunition through a Shooters app and real world experience so you know exactly how many inches the bullet will drop at known distances.

If you're seriously looking to effectively and humanely drop game at 1,000 yards... well, I wouldn't recommend it.

Good ammunition out of a good rifle has a very consistent, repeatable, and predictable bullet drop. Happy hunting.

Dec 30, 2015
    I am in a similar boat and I just made the move 7mm RemMag. I will be shooting it for the first time this weekend. I will let you know how that goes.

I've been hunting deer with a Ruger American predator in .308. It's a fine rifle, and has mainly fit my need except for one.

This past season and in the future, I've been given the chance to hunt fairly large farm fields. Some are 1000 yards across. On opening day in WV, I passed on two great deer because they were at 250-300 yards. My confidence in my ability to shoot well at that distance is not great, and is compounded by only having .308 rounds out of a short barrel rifle. Second, I'm gearing up for elk hunts in the next few years, out west. I shot one buck this season at 250-275 yards, and hit him on the first shot, but it was lower than expected. Felt like the bullet is dropping fast at that distance.

So, given that info, what would you do?

1. Get better at shooting what I've got at longer distances?
    2. Switch rifles and/or calibers for all hunts.
    3. Keep the ruger for some hunting, but add a longer range option (flatter like a .25-06, or a magnum).
    4. Other?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing, with using Maximum Point Blank Range, you don't need accurate range info. You just need to determine if it is within the MPBR. And beyond that range, due to drop, you will mostly likely miss low anyway.

Using my .308 round for example, the MPBR is 327 yards. At that point, the bullet hits 5 inches below the point of aim. At 340 yards (13 more), it drop another 1.6 inches, for 6.6 inches low. At 350, it is down another 1.4 inches for a total of 8.0 inches.

Although, with good range info, you can hold higher, even with a MPBR zero for longer shots. From 327 to 365 yards, holding at the top of the vital area (assuming 10 inch diameter) will still hit the vital area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom