• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    OK, bear with me a bit. Cabela's and BassPro have PHYSICAL gift cards on sale for 10% off thru Nov 17. The kicker is, you can pay using existing gift cards that you might have that you may have already bought discounted. Yes, you wouldn't be able to use them until you receive them in the mail but this could be a good money saver for those of you who have gift cards available and don't plan to use them for a week or two.

Alternatively, you can purchase discounted e-gift cards from a site like raise.com (about 13% off) and use those to make the purchase. You usually receive their e-gift cards within minutes of ordering. This would work out to a 21-22% net discount.

You MIGHT be able to get some additional savings from certain rebate sites but not entirely sure they'll work with gift card purchases. I will update this post if that turns out to be the case.

Edit for an update: WHen I tried to order via basspro.com, the 10% discount disappear when I tried to use gift cards to pay. So,it appears this will on;y work on cabelas.com. YMMV.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    interesting. i have a handful of gift cards that i wouldn't mind consolidating into just one. could do this and get ~10% more. thanks.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Don't forget Cabela's charges 6% tax now too. You can also go through active junky and get 7-14% cash back (PayPal). The percentage varies over time, 2 days ago it was 10%.

Just checked and Cabela's isn't charging tax on the gift cards. They will on other online purchases.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Don't forget Cabela's charges 6% tax now too. You can also go through active junky and get 7-14% cash back (PayPal). The percentage varies over time, 2 days ago it was 10%.

Just checked and Cabela's isn't charging tax on the gift cards. They will on other online purchases.

No cashback from activejunky on gift card purchases (I tried). I'm checking on ebates/rakuten now, although they are only 3%. But, every little bit helps if it works.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster

Active Junky will not work on gift cards. I used $405 of Cabela's rewards points to buy $450 of gift cards.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

How does this work? I just signed up for active junky. Clicked on the link to cabelas, bought a $100 gift card, and under active junky i am seeing no purchases I’ve made.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    How does this work? I just signed up for active junky. Clicked on the link to cabelas, bought a $100 gift card, and under active junky i am seeing no purchases I’ve made.

Active Junky/Cabel'a does not give cashback for gift cards and gives a reduced rate on firearms/ammo. For all purchases there is a delay in posting it to active junky The gift cards will show up in the 'purchase & clicks' section under the 'order' button. They will indicate $0 under cashback. This transaction will only result in you receiving 10% reduction from Cabela's.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Active Junky/Cabel'a does not give cashback for gift cards and gives a reduced rate on firearms/ammo. For a all purchases there is a delay in posting it to active junky The gift cards will show up in the 'purchase & clicks' section under the 'order' button. They will indicate $0 under cashback

Cool thank you! So under active junky do i need to stick to the supplies catagories or will anything from that retailer (minus gift cards) give me the 10%?

I do appreciate you explaining this to me

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Cool thank you! So under active junky do i need to stick to the supplies catagories or will anything from that retailer (minus gift cards) give me the 10%?

Each store is different. When you pick a store click on the store name instead of the 'shop now' button. This will take you to a page for that particular store. the second box on the right side "CASH BACK GUIDELINES" will contain the rules for that store. If you click on the 'shop now' the restrictions go by to fast to read them.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    So I could take the 100 cabelas card I have now and use that to buy another one and get $110?

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Each store is different. When you pick a store click on the store name instead of the 'shop now' button. This will take you to a page for that particular store. the second box on the right side "CASH BACK GUIDELINES" will contain the rules for that store. If you click on the 'shop now' the restrictions go by to fast to read them.

Really appreciate the info bud!!!!

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Sort of. CAbela's is usually 6% cashback, it just so happens they've upped it to 10% temporarily. Less often, they will sometimes offer 12%.

There are some categories that have different cash back rates. You already know it's 0% for gift cards. Ammo is 2% I believe and firearms are 1%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom