• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    While backpacking out of the wild wilderness of Philmont this past week I found this knife on the ground. It’s not historic and obviously left behind by accident. It’s substantial in weight and appears a quality knife. At first it looks to be the shape of a spatula style but there was at one point a sharp edge. I’m wondering if anyone knows what it is and if it’s worth restoring. Anyone know the best place for me to take it to restore if it’s worth the time and money ?

9f73ad6c402ee15b8e0f32622c4f9e3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    cake icing

The Rangers that travel with crews for the first few days are known to bring a pound cake and icing as a surprise so this makes sense other than it is heavy and not ideal for backpacking. Our Ranger just asked to borrow a knife from our crew. I also thought maybe it was a modified knife for the Wranglers with the tip rounded for protection of the horses.

The knife was laying on top of grass and not embedded in the ground so I know it wasn't there for long. It's rusty and looks like it could be cleaned up pretty easy.

However I wouldn't know how to get the grips off and properly clean all the steel.

I think as a keepsake it would be worth having someone who knows what they are doing clean it up.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My son did Philmont this summer. Awesome trip...

Anyway, there is a gut that comes to most of the shows who could probably do it. I think his name is Glen Smit.
    WOLF'S KNIVES
    443-866-3838

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    My son did Philmont this summer. Awesome trip...

Anyway, there is a gut that comes to most of the shows who could probably do it. I think his name is Glen Smit.
    WOLF'S KNIVES
    443-866-3838

Thanks so much! My third time there. in '86 and '88 as a youth and this year as an advisor with my Son. Amazing experience.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Disney World for Boy Scouts. I went in 1978 out of the Baltimore Area Council. I still have my Philmont belt and buckle. Nothing quite like a walk in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. A life changing experience.

Were you able to stop anywhere on the way to and from DIA? We spent one night at the AF Academy eating dinner at the Flying W Ranch (burned down three years ago in a large wildfire) in Colorado Springs. Second night we spent at an Indian Kiva in Pueblo run by an Explorer Post/OA Lodge.

While living in Colorado I was able to visit the area several times. The NRA's Whittington Center is just up the road a bit closer to Raton. Very nice facility with ranges out past 1000 meters. They also have a very nice firearms museum.

I concur, it looks like a shaving knife.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    OP, Edgeworks in Frederick will get it cleaned up and taken care of for you by professionals.

I did Philmont 20+ years ago and loved it. I was with a rather ambitious crew and we hiked from the Rayado drop off, all the way west to Rayado peak, then made our way back to the Tooth of Time, then on up to Baldy, and all the way up to the northernmost point before heading back down towards Cimmaron. I think we spent 10 days total for that and did 250 miles of hiking in that time. It was one hell of an experience.
    '

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Oh no. We took a train from Wilmington, DE to Denver, CO. Then hopped a bus south to Philmont. We stopped at the Air Force Academy and took a tour.

Holy Schnikies, how long did that take. Must have been quite the adventure. My son's crew flew into Albuquerque, then spent a couple days site seeing by van to from Alb to Sante Fe then up to Cimmeron.

They ended up with 138 miles under their belt. One adult got injured. My son, another scout and one adult had to run 6 miles off their route to the nearest staffed camp to get help. One adult stayed back and rendered first aid to get the bleeding stopped. He fell and a one inch in diameter stick impaled his calf. When they got him back to the infirmary, they shoved 3 feet of gauze into the wound. 2 days later, her rejoined the crew.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh no. We took a train from Wilmington, DE to Denver, CO. Then hopped a bus south to Philmont. We stopped at the Air Force Academy and took a tour.

In 1978, we flew on United Airlines, from BWI to then Stapleton Airport. Baltimore Area Council chartered the flight and it was full of scouts going to and from Philmont. About 20 years ago, Stapleton was closed when the City and County of Denver opened the new Denver International Airport. The symbol for Denver is DEN, but everyone there calls the airport DIA. The current (new) airport occupies about 53 square miles and has lots of room for expansion. I predict that within 50 years it will be surrounded with urban sprawl and everyone buying a house within 20 miles will be complaining about the noise.

One of the nice things about working at DIA was that every summer, all summer long, there would be scouts from all over the country (and some from overseas) that would be flying into and out of the airport on their way to and from Philmont. Good times.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    The knife looks very similar to old table knives used by Civil War reenactors. I am not sure if they are period correct, but the lack of a point but with a sharpened edge fits the bill.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Holy Schnikies, how long did that take. Must have been quite the adventure. My son's crew flew into Albuquerque, then spent a couple days site seeing by van to from Alb to Sante Fe then up to Cimmeron.

They ended up with 138 miles under their belt. One adult got injured. My son, another scout and one adult had to run 6 miles off their route to the nearest staffed camp to get help. One adult stayed back and rendered first aid to get the bleeding stopped. He fell and a one inch in diameter stick impaled his calf. When they got him back to the infirmary, they shoved 3 feet of gauze into the wound. 2 days later, her rejoined the crew.

Pretty sure it took 2 days on the train and a long bus ride, each way. I remember we stopped in Chicago and walked around for awhile. In addition to stopping at the Air Force Academy we also stopped in Cimarron to buy cowboy hats.

We also had a leader go down. He contracted pneumonia and had to be extracted. Highlight was climbing Mt. Phillips 12,000+ feet. It went above the timberline and there was still snow on top in July.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Man I don't envy the soul that took that as a piece of kit. Imagine what his departing pack weight was if they carried that. Cool find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom