• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I don't have any first hand knowledge with the Surefire other than putting my paws all over one - other than to say you'll likely be happy.

As for OSS - I don't personally own one but I've seen firsthand enough that I'm not on that bandwagon.. Innovative - yes, but would I want to own one (other than at a highly discounted price), sorry but no thank you. I won't beat them up, but in the suppressor market, I think there's a number of great choices and right now and OSS wouldn't be on my top 5...

For the other readers who ponder the quick detach versus direct thread. Get a can that can do both and be done with it. I don't even consider that a discussion point any longer - with the changeable mounts, you can have cake and ice cream. Why choose one? Doesn't make sense here and it's same argument for a .30 cal can versus smaller.. On a side note though - although I have and can do both, I've never direct threaded any of my cans (other than pistol).. Haven't had the need.
    I was thinking id keep one device free to be used kind of like a direct thread. That way if i decide to suppress something i dont shoot often its there. Is there anything wrong with that logic? Would the device be ok to hand-tighten as long as i check on it loosening?

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I was thinking id keep one device free to be used kind of like a direct thread. That way if i decide to suppress something i dont shoot often its there. Is there anything wrong with that logic? Would the device be ok to hand-tighten as long as i check on it loosening?

So do you mean - take a QD muzzle device (FH or brake) and just screw that on hand tight if you wanted to use on a rifle that you don't use very often? If so - no I wouldn't do that. You want your muzzle device to be tight without any wiggle to prevent a baffle strike (read the torque and peel washer specs from most of the manufacturers). Given the time it takes to get a suppressor, most of us don't want anything stupid to happen to it. I'm sure there's someone on this forum who does this - but I wouldn't condone. Every time I install a new muzzle device, I use my Geissele suppressor alignment rods and verify.

But I get your point.. You have a rifle that you don't use much and you don't want to install a muzzle device (given the $). Your best thing there is to get a suppressor that allows you to change mounts and use a direct thread attachment when you want to. For instance, see the link below - I have for my Omega. To me, that's how you should proceed. Remember - there's nothing cheap about suppressors..

https://silencerco.com/bravo-direct-thread-mount.html

https://geissele.com/17-7-62mm-suppressor-alignment-gage.html

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's also the new SiCo Omega 35M, which is not amazing in any particular area, but is a pretty excellent choice overall. Also takes the Charlie flash hiding endcaps, IIRC.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Silencer co omega 36m

Anybody get a chance to check one out. Looks exactly what I’m looking for as far as versatility.
    Nobody seems to keep them in stock.

I’ve been saving up gift certificates to the SilencerShop so this Christmas I should have enough to order it.

Anyone ever do the single trust offered through silencer shop?

Edit:
    Sorry I meant to post this as a new topic. I’m referring to the sil co 36m

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Reviving this because YHM has updated their Turbo and Resonator to use the same universal mounting system of the Turbo K. They are also adding a flash hiding endcap to the silencer to the whole line (Turbo, Turbo K, and Resonator)

Resonator R2 https://yhm.net/yhm-2130.html
    Turbo T2 https://yhm.net/turbo-stainless-fh.html
    Turbo K https://yhm.net/turbor-k-5-56-stainless-with-1-2-28-q-d-flash-hider.html
    This is ironic i see this today and literally just got the resonator after being back ordered yesterday. Did the electronic signature and payed for the tax stamp yesterday

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Personally I don't love the trend of slapping the Omega threads on everything. The YHM products were pretty great as is, I don't see how introducing cost increasing complications for the sake of modularity really benefits the consumer. Hopefully this doesn't up the actual cost too much when the r2 versions hit the street.

I'll probably buy a Turbo K soon now that I'm settled in VA. Definitely will put it in a trust with an out of state buddy on it for when VA turns into CA come 2020.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I don't think YHM is adding any cost (MSRP) to the product. Although MAP could be higher.

YHM does offer alot of thread pitches for their flash hider but limited options for their brake and mini brake. It's alot better than say Q which offer only 1 mount (Compensator) and 2 thread pitches and they are seemingly always sold out.

IMO Griffin Armament has the best selection of muzzle device styles and thread pitches that are great without a silencer.

It is to be seen how silencer manufacturers will handle warranty claims when using other mounts.

I guess the idea of modularity is a really a result of the NFA/ATF. If there wasn't a $200 tax and a year wait I'd imagine people wouldn't care about modularity. I'd probably buy a silencer that is specific to a firearm or just buy firearms that are already setup with a silencer.

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Original MSRP for YHM Turbo was $469, R2 is $525. Original MSRP for YHM Resonator was $599, R2 is $695. Whether or not actual prices at retail go up when they are for sale is still unknown. Highly doubt you'll see the YHM Turbo R2 for $270ish like you could occasionally get the gen 1 for though. MSRP for the Turbo K hasn't changed yet.

I appreciate them including multiple mounting options but I'd personally have preferred a QD option and a separate direct thread model. I don't mind modularity in some stuff, but YHM's business model with the Turbo and Resonator series has been KISS, good quality, and low prices. That's what I like about them. But I also tend to just buy a can for a rifle and leave it on there, and don't care if all my suppressors and rifles can't play together all the time. And I don't want yet another potential place for my can to come unthreaded on YHM cans. Torque and rocksett are great, but welds are always going to be better.

Griffin does offer a lot of great mounting options. Griffin is a great company run by staunch 2A supporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom