• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    True
    I had to enter a house in wheaton. the spanish speaking owner had divided the basement up into 5 tiny jail cell size bedrooms with a ramshackle "kitchenette" setup by the exit door
    In a 2 bedroom house there were at least 5 downstairs, I don't know how many upstairs. Found out from cops this situation is normal in Moco

As I understand it, that is currently illegal. I used to own a rental house with a retired couple for tenants. They had a bed in the basement for visitors. On one county inspection, the guy said the be had to go because there was an interior door between the area with the bed and the outside, walk-up door to the back yard. So, several compartments in a basement sounds dodgy at least and dangerous at worst.

I believe there is a move afoot in the county to loosen the accessory apartment regulation that would allow more occupancy in what were single-family houses. I'm sure that's driven by the results of the county's sanctuary policies.

Montgomery County is a great place...to get away from.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    True
    I had to enter a house in wheaton. the spanish speaking owner had divided the basement up into 5 tiny jail cell size bedrooms with a ramshackle "kitchenette" setup by the exit door
    In a 2 bedroom house there were at least 5 downstairs, I don't know how many upstairs. Found out from cops this situation is normal in Moco

Had a call like that a few weeks ago. Walk into the split-level home, directed to the basement off of the lower level of the split. The door to the basement was simply a piece of painted plywood. Basement had two compartment rooms, a water closet, with a hot plate and small fridge in the common area.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    found out from cops this situation is normal in Moco
    I used to work in Silver Spring. Quite common for a section 8 tenant to have a very reduced price for a 3 bedroom apartment. They would take their subsidy and sublet it to 4 families. One family per bedroom, 4th family in the living room with a shower curtain as the door.

The section 8 tenant is paying under $100 a month for the apartment, while living with other family members, and renting out each bedroom for $400 or $500 to each family. $1600 to $2000 a month in TAX FREE INCOME, while bilking the HOC out of an additional $16-2000 a month.

What a racket!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, it is definitely difficult to get code enforcement in MoCo. I had a neighbor who was basically running a landscaping business out of his backyard, complete with dumpster and fleet of trucks, behind a closed fence, and the county was somehow powerless to open the gate and go walk into his backyard to take a peek. (The dude eventually slipped up and left the gate open, and got his hand slapped.) I am actually a lot more annoyed about people running substantial businesses out of their backyards and sucking up street parking with multiple commercial vehicles than I am about a couple extra people living in a house.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Yes, it is definitely difficult to get code enforcement in MoCo. I had a neighbor who was basically running a landscaping business out of his backyard, complete with dumpster and fleet of trucks, behind a closed fence, and the county was somehow powerless to open the gate and go walk into his backyard to take a peek. (The dude eventually slipped up and left the gate open, and got his hand slapped.) I am actually a lot more annoyed about people running substantial businesses out of their backyards and sucking up street parking with multiple commercial vehicles than I am about a couple extra people living in a house.

That would drive me nuts if I lived on the street. But as an admirer from afar, I kinda admire the chutzpah.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

Well, I, for one, don't want to give government the power to randomly open a closed access path and perform a search without a warrant.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Shoot, they could probably just pull it up on Google Earth and get enough evidence for a warrant.
    That's unneccessary, more than likely it's an illegal, hiring Illegals, running an illegal biz.
    Checks all the boxes for MoCO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom