• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I got a psa upper a couple months ago and noticed it is not black like my lower. It has a faded, purplish tinge to it. It's very noticeable where the line betwen the upper and lower are due to the color difference. It was a good deal and it's a cheap AR, so I wasnt worried enough to complain to PSA. A coworker just ordered an upper from PSA as well. He showed me the pictures and it's the same thing. Way off color from the lower. In his case it's a PSA lower as well (mine wasn't) so that makes it extra curious...

Attachments

• Resized_20161229_173615_20161230_084020.jpg
      Resized_20161229_173615_20161230_084020.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 354

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    There products tend to be slightly off color from what might be considered norm

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

yeah, but the strange part is it's just the upper. the lower looks normal.

I have another picture that shows the railed handguard. It's purple too. :crazy:

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Same here. Got my upper 2 days ago and was planning on calling about this and another issue but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
      IMG_0075.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 324

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Looks like some oversight in the anodizing process.

The bronze color is indicative of something not quite right happened.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, that anodize job is unacceptable to me. I don't work in coatings but I have experience in parts that get platings and coatings on nearly everything.

These coater/plating/anodizing companies have all been hit or miss.

Generally in the purchase order contracts these type of coating companies always say something like "We'll do our best to make it right, but we are not responsible for your part." Not only do the coatings come out crappy but we often deal with damage from handling, or even something stupid like damage from how they attach the electrode to the part.

I don't know how much these lowers are but paying to strip and reanodize is going to add cost.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yep.. I got a purple upper as well. I plan on doing a cool rattle can job soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would Brownells alumahyde, cerakote or duracoat; I have found that enamel rubs off all too easily. If you do go the enamel route, I would sand it down to the bare metal first to give it the best chance of sticking. Also, this cold weather does not help.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    I've seen purpled type 2 anodize but never type 3 hard coat. Can you check the product spec page and see if they specify hard coat?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Who knows. Might become a collector's item. Somewhat related, I've got a higher-end Henry rifle that had a bunch of blued parts turn purple. Looks a little weird but I like it and some collectors go bonkers for it. Same deal if you have a blued Ruger revolver that turned purple.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've seen purpled type 2 anodize but never type 3 hard coat. Can you check the product spec page and see if they specify hard coat?

Doesn't really matter. Black anodize that isn't black, something went wrong in the process.

The dye is what makes the color.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    Doesn't really matter. Black anodize that isn't black, something went wrong in the process.

The dye is what makes the color.

The thinner the anodize is the more susceptible the color is to looking off. I'd be more concerned that the part is spec'ed as a hard coat but only anodized to type 2. In my experience, I've never seen a black hard coat look purple. Type 2 anodize is just fine but if you've spec'ed hard coat and I've paid for a hard coated part then give me a hard coated part. If it's spec'ed as type 2 then it's probably just fine for surface protection and only a cosmetic defect.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I would Brownells alumahyde, cerakote or duracoat; I have found that enamel rubs off all too easily. If you do go the enamel route, I would sand it down to the bare metal first to give it the best chance of sticking. Also, this cold weather does not help.

Thanks! I'll be doing it soon. Can't wait to see how it turns out. It's a 20 inch upper. I think I'm going to do the scope as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Hard anodize usually isn't dyed because it's for abrasion resistance I think, would kinda cancel out what's it being used for if you added colors to absorb into it.

Sulphuric anodize is just for like protection plating.

Not sure what the dyes do to either but I really think the purple/bronze problem here is a UV exposure, dye or some other problem causing that.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Just got off the phone with customer service which was torcher. They sent me a return label to send the upper back. My other issue is when I manually cycled my 9mm pistol the ejector flew off. I looked online and on arfcom PSA is an industry partner. Apparently they where having issues with ejector around summertime which is when I got the Lower. According to their posts they want anybody who has issues with the ejector to send it back to them. They are installing shims on the ejector. Since I bought them separately at two different times I have to send it back to them separately.:facepalm:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ugh, and I just put an order in with them for ammo. Guess I can put that out if my mind and wait for a surprise. Probably won't be receiving it any time soon.

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    Got my upper back from PSA. Definitely looks better. 1 week turn around. Not bad. Still waiting on my 9mm Glock lower though.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
      IMG_0082.jpg
      135.1 KB · Views: 172

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Got my upper back from PSA. Definitely looks better. 1 week turn around. Not bad. Still waiting on my 9mm Glock lower though.

Damn, I bought mine almost 2 months ago but didn't even think to complain. Wonder if it's too late to be remedied. I'll call tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom