• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Anyone handle a new one recently? I want a new 45/70 and this one caught my eye. Any word on improvements on their line of product as of late?
    I heard vague tell a year ago that the quality was coming back around.
    If not that 45/70 then what other? I read the Henry's like to have their tube fly out after a couple shots but there's a fix.
    Looking for a full rifle as I have had a guide gun and while I liked it, want a full size rifle.
    --Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone handle a new one recently? I want a new 45/70 and this one caught my eye. Any word on improvements on their line of product as of late?
    I heard vague tell a year ago that the quality was coming back around.
    If not that 45/70 then what other? I read the Henry's like to have their tube fly out after a couple shots but there's a fix.
    Looking for a full rifle as I have had a guide gun and while I liked it, want a full size rifle.
    --Brent

You can read it about for yourself here... http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

I've been looking and reading and it seems that the quality problems are less than they were after Remington took over Marlin production, if you're looking for a new rifle. Most of the responses you'll get on that forum are to 'buy an old JM marked rifle' though. For myself, I think I would be willing to buy one of the new Marlins like this one Mar 1895cb Cowboy 4570 26"

26 inches is a lot of barrel but one might appreciate the added weight to subdue the recoil.

Last edited:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    You can read it about for yourself here... http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

I've been looking and reading and it seems that the quality problems are less than they were after Remington took over Marlin production, if you're looking for a new rifle. Most of the responses you'll get on that forum are to 'buy an old JM marked rifle' though. For myself, I think I would be willing to buy one of the new Marlins like this one Mar 1895cb Cowboy 4570 26"

26 inches is a lot of barrel but one might appreciate the added weight to subdue the recoil.

I definitely like that rifle. It's so classic as opposed to the traditional Marlin style of lever loop and grip angle. Loved my JM 1895GS but an engagement ring was in order and I was offered a good good price compared to what I paid! Now it's time to get back to it!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If you want to unload that let me know!

Thanks, but, I'm not going to sell it.

It's joining my 1895G Guide Gun, and my 1895CB Cowboy Gun w/ 26" barrel.
    The 1895G was built in 2000 and the 1895CB was built in 2001. Both JM rifles, with Ballard rifling.
    The 1895G is in the 005xxx serial number range.

Someone once said that "Three is a crowd." Nah. Three is "a start."

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

There's just "something" about that .45-70 'catridge' and the octagonal barrel, that floats my boat.

byf43

45/70 was the first centerfire rifle I bought when I was 18! First love!

I've been a fan of the .45-70 for many years.
    When I first saw the 1895CB, I HAD to buy one.

I found the 1895G first, and decided that it too, had to occupy an empty space in my safe.
    The 1895CB was found a couple of months later.

The .45-70 is just like the old Jello commercial. "There's always room for a .45-70!":party29:

Mike

MDS Supporter

byf43

"Marlin 1895G 45-70 Guide Gun Like New fired five rounds only! No orginal box or paperwork. Would like to trade for a M1911 .45 Colt, Remington or Springfield Armory of similar value and condition."

The no paperwork is worrisome, or is that normal?
    Right in Fredrick? Is there a way to be sure it's not stolen?

The "no paperwork" normally means that the seller doesn't have the factory/manufacturer's book/documentation.

To me.......... no big deal.
    I can download the manual from the manuf. site.

Mike

MDS Supporter

byf43

Thanks for the response. It seems like a decent price.

No worries.

I've got three .45-70 rifles in the stable, now, and still have a 'slot' or two, in the safe.

My wife told me (about 25 years ago) that she would 'help me' get a "Quigley Rifle" from Shiloh Sharps, in .45-70 "Gummint" for my retirement gift.

Now, nobody thinks I've let her forget about that, do ya????? :party29: :D

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Just got one!

Ordered one from Hinterland and have put 60 rounds through. I think shoots well considering has semi-buckhorn sights and I am not a good shot. It is lighter than my Henry Big Boy. Action very smooth. For the price no complaint about fit or finish. Receiver sort of Matt black and barrel shinier. Wood finish is flat.

I intend to put Soule sights on it and may take to Quigley. Easier to shoot the bucket offhand with this. My high wall is too heavy for 70 year old weakling.

So far I am very happy. Now if I can find a 25-20 Marlin, my little collection will be complete

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom