• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm about to get both. A SBR AK, and a DPMS G2 Hunter. I'm 100% grabbing the AK, but 90% sure on the Hunter. Is there any alternative you'd recommend in 308? Or just a rifle that may be banned soon that you'd suggest looking into?

I'm looking to get both of these before the election to beat the panic and madness.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    I was looking to get the G2 Hunter as well, but during the time period I was shopping, nobody had them in stock. Settled for G1 Oracle for half the price of the G2H. More money for ammo and accessories at least :) Saw the G2 down at the Timonium gun show... day late, dollar short. Having looked into the G2 myself, I'd say it looks pretty solid and the reviews on the web are pretty good. I am liking the Daniel Defense variants, but they are a bit more pricy. May eventually pick up a 223 DD, but it is down lower on my priority list.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I love my G2 and I highly recommend them. I looked at tons of other .308 semi options and the G2 always came out on top for one reason or another.

The one thing I would change is spare parts availability. Parts for warranty service (supposedly) aren't a problem but DPMS told me that all of their parts are going into making the complete rifles due to demand right now so I couldn't order spares for most of the proprietary stuff yet. With that said, most of the rifle is standard AR-15 parts so parts and accessories are easy to get.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    The G2 Hunter is a fine rifle, mine gets more and more use and I like it more each time I take it out to the range. I've been experimenting with handloads and my average groups are nothing to brag about, could be my refusal to wear my specs.

The SR-25 pattern magazines work OK, the Magpul version won't lock the bolt to the rear. It's a known problem, but Magpul won't address it. One of my 10 rounders occasionally will lock the bolt, but not always.

Another difference between the G2 and the standard AR-Heavy is that the receivers are smaller. It is one of their selling points and should not have been a surprise, but when I tried to use a standard AR-10 bore guide, it would not fit in the receiver. I don't have the smaller AR-15 bore guide so I can't say if that's the way to go or not.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    The SR-25 pattern magazines work OK, the Magpul version won't lock the bolt to the rear. It's a known problem, but Magpul won't address it. One of my 10 rounders occasionally will lock the bolt, but not always.

That's strange, I've never had a problem with mine locking the bolt back. Is this a G2 Hunter specific issue (mine is the G2 MOE)? All of my G2 mags are Magpul.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I was looking to get the G2 Hunter as well, but during the time period I was shopping, nobody had them in stock. Settled for G1 Oracle for half the price of the G2H. More money for ammo and accessories at least :) Saw the G2 down at the Timonium gun show... day late, dollar short. Having looked into the G2 myself, I'd say it looks pretty solid and the reviews on the web are pretty good. I am liking the Daniel Defense variants, but they are a bit more pricy. May eventually pick up a 223 DD, but it is down lower on my priority list.

Any regrets getting the Oracle?

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Any regrets getting the Oracle?

Other than the weird break in instructions. (I don't have a real comparison, so maybe this is norm for the lower cost AR's) , it hasn't been a bad rifle.

"To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and after every round for the first 25 rounds, and then every 10 rounds up to 100. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy."

I put on a pair of MI flip up Iron sights to start, zero'ed at 50 and was getting (1 shot at a time) quarter groupings. Probably could have done better, but it had been awhile since I had been behind an AR. I was using 165gr Federal Vital Shok Trophy Copper. No operational issues and using PMAG 10 and 20.

Was a couple of months before the Primary Arms (Holosun) patented ACSS CQB red dot was back in stock and I was able to order it, paired it with a flip to side 3x magnifier. Zero for .308 is 100yard +1. My groupings weren't that great, but I blame myself and the magnification level for that far out just wasn't that solid. Also, I was catching myself anticipating the trigger. Again, no operational issues with the rifle. More practice will improve on that as well. The only thing is the trigger could be better, I'll eventually replace it with a Geissele SSA or SSA-E for more better precision firing. If your looking for more accurate 200+ hunting range, a decent scope would be so much better.

Overall though, for a lower cost general purpose rifle that I can adapt to near vs far firing, I am not unhappy.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    That's strange, I've never had a problem with mine locking the bolt back. Is this a G2 Hunter specific issue (mine is the G2 MOE)? All of my G2 mags are Magpul.

As far as I know, all the G2's share the same upper and lower receivers, the barrels, stock and handguard are what make the G2 Hunter different from the G2 MOE. If yours locks back with the Magpul magazines, that's awesome. Mine showed this issue right away so I started researching on the net and found a bunch of shooters with the same problem.
    Basically, the Magpul follower just barely pushes up on the bolt catch in the G2, often not enough to hold the bolt. It seems that in the design and manufacture of the G2, they moved this part up a tiny bit.
    To be fair, I haven't tried my 25 round mags yet, so it could be limited to the 10 rounders.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    As far as I know, all the G2's share the same upper and lower receivers, the barrels, stock and handguard are what make the G2 Hunter different from the G2 MOE. If yours locks back with the Magpul magazines, that's awesome. Mine showed this issue right away so I started researching on the net and found a bunch of shooters with the same problem.
    Basically, the Magpul follower just barely pushes up on the bolt catch in the G2, often not enough to hold the bolt. It seems that in the design and manufacture of the G2, they moved this part up a tiny bit.
    To be fair, I haven't tried my 25 round mags yet, so it could be limited to the 10 rounders.

Sounds like I may have gotten lucky (for once) :) I have a few 10 round mags but I don't ever use them. You may be right and it is an issue with them.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm trying to find an alternative to the G2 that's under $1000 but can't. Am I SOL in that search?

It won't get played with too often so I don't need the bees knees of .308s.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I'm trying to find an alternative to the G2 that's under $1000 but can't. Am I SOL in that search?

It won't get played with too often so I don't need the bees knees of .308s.

'bees knees" I love it!
    There's lots of options in the LR308 field, find what you like. The G2 is the cat's pajamas because it is pretty lightweight for its' chambering and smaller in size than the DPMS pattern LR308.

I'm about to get both. A SBR AK, and a DPMS G2 Hunter. I'm 100% grabbing the AK, but 90% sure on the Hunter. Is there any alternative you'd recommend in 308? Or just a rifle that may be banned soon that you'd suggest looking into?

I'm looking to get both of these before the election to beat the panic and madness.

Just looked up the G2, they look sexy but I only dig guns that i can drop or drag in the dirt and not feel bad about character scratches. Speaking of dragging a rifle in the dirt, there is a forum here about an AK build party in Southern MD on Nov 5th (just before election day).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom