MD, we can all do better...than tied for 11th!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I don't believe this is accurate. How many guns are 'registered'? How many many guns have been here longer than the counting of registered?
    A bunch of questions.......

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Are these just NFA items? PA doesn't require anything "registered" other than NFA, so how could a count be done?

If there are 22,000 MDS members, each owning 4 guns, we're already over 88,000... :innocent0

And how many of us own more then 4? Oh the horror - a weapons arsenal... :D

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    From page 1-
    "Methodology
    As America reels from yet another mass shooting, inevitable questions resurface about guns laws and the nation's pervasive firearm culture. Here is a look at per capita weapons data, based on the ATF's National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, and 2013 data from the U.S. Census.

While the ATF's National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record is the only accessible list of its kind, it is not all-inclusive. NFA firearms only include the categories regulated by The National Firearms Act of 1934: machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, suppressors, destructive devices like bombs and grenades, concealable devices with the ability to discharge a shot through the energy of an explosive, and any firearm with a bore over half an inch that has not been determined to have a legitimate sporting use."

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    According to 2015 data MD ranks 21st in NFA's Ahead of Georgia just behind Kentucky. I think the last estimate I saw was that in maryland 21% of households had at least 1 gun. That was around 42nd of all states.

You are right we can do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Some articles say D.C is number 1.

2014 data suggests that DC leads the nation in FireArm related homicide per capita. 10.8 per 100k residents.

They probably need to pass some sort of law there totally banning all fire arms. /s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Notice the picture shows only pistols, and text specifies "registered". Not even close to the number of firearms in the Formerly Free State.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    "How heavily armed is your state?"

"11 (tie). Maryland
    Maryland is tied with Pennsylvania for number 11 slot. For every 1,000 residents in Maryland, there are 15 guns. That's 88,732 registered firearms among 5,928,814 people."

link=> http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mos...-america/42/?ftag=ACQ812ebde&vnid=32198068674

There have been over 50,000 HQL's issued in Maryland since the law went into effect in 2013. You can probably assume there is at least one handgun per HQL.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177968&page=4

The Maryland NICS checks for January through August of this year were over 103,000.
    2015 125,000
    2014 142,000
    2013 231,000
    2012 136,000
    2011 103,000
    2010 88,000
    From 1999 through 2009 Maryland averaged about 80,000 per year or approximately 880,000 NICS checks.
    For a total of 1,808,000 NICS checks since its inception.
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year_by_state.pdf/view

Something tells me there are more than 88,000 firearms in the state. :innocent0

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    yeah the are way off the mark. Also lets not forget those who move into the state and have firearms that do not need to be registered. I think the story is full of it.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    :smoke: realizing that every gun sold in MD is registered VOLUNTARILY i have made this an issue before but it fell on deaf ears, in order for anyone to buY a gun in maryland, you have to "volunteer" to register it. think about this, YOU HAVE TO VOLUNTEER to register it. if not, the sale connote be completed. YOU HAVE TO VOLUNTEER TO REGISTER IT. VOLUNTEER MEANS WHAT? ugh!

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    So if I sell one of my 4 guns to my buddy in PA, does that mean we drop down to #12?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    :smoke: realizing that every gun sold in MD is registered VOLUNTARILY i have made this an issue before but it fell on deaf ears, in order for anyone to buY a gun in maryland, you have to "volunteer" to register it. think about this, YOU HAVE TO VOLUNTEER to register it. if not, the sale connote be completed. YOU HAVE TO VOLUNTEER TO REGISTER IT. VOLUNTEER MEANS WHAT? ugh!

Not correct. Long guns are not registered unless you consider the Federal form 4477 and NICS check a "registration" and private face to face sales of long guns don't even have that.

I am certain the stolen and black market guns sold out of car trunks and in back alleys by criminals are not "registered".

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

This "voluntary" registration scheme in MD involves only handguns. It is an openly acknowledged registration scheme.

Rifles/shotguns, no. Yes, a Federal background check, which suspicious folks assume is being tracked and compiled, but which would be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom