• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I recently went to the range and was planning on cleaning my guns the next day but something came up and I left the guns in my safe. About a week later I remembered to clean them and found a surprise.

Both of the blued guns I shot had a thin layer of rust...it was very hot that day and I think it was from a combination of the sweat from my hands and the humidity. Fortunately, I was able to clean and oil the blued guns without any lasting damage but I learned my lesson: clean guns right away and keep dry packs in the safe.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I recently went to the range and was planning on cleaning my guns the next day but something came up and I left the guns in my safe. About a week later I remembered to clean them and found a surprise.

Both of the blued guns I shot had a thin layer of rust...it was very hot that day and I think it was from a combination of the sweat from my hands and the humidity. Fortunately, I was able to clean and oil the blued guns without any lasting damage but I learned my lesson: clean guns right away and keep dry packs in the safe.

Same thing happened to me, I can touch steel and hear it rust.

After that I started keeping a small spray bottle of Ballistol and a rag in my range bag to spray everything down with before I leave the range.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I don't clean my guns after every trip to the range, but I keep a range towel in a plastic bag with some Ballistol on it and wipe them off right after I use them, and I'll at least stick a mop or snake down the barrel with some Ballistol when I get home.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I have both. Golden rod and an Eva-Dry. Heater raises the temperature and therefore lowers the relative humidity, but the moisture is still there. Dehumidifier removes the moisture, so if the heater fails or something else goes wrong, there won't be a problem.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I clean my guns every few years or so.

But I DO wipe them down after every time I touch them. I use various things. Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade some or if I know it will be for longer term. RemOil or silicone cloth for most use.

Hand oils are VERY corrosive.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I clean my guns every few years or so.

But I DO wipe them down after every time I touch them. I use various things. Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade some or if I know it will be for longer term. RemOil or silicone cloth for most use.

Hand oils are VERY corrosive.

^^^^
    I agree I clean mine every 500 + rounds but I keep RIG on a rag and wipe them down every time.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I usually wipe the guns down before bagging them or after handling at home. I use an oil treated rag or a gun wipe sold with rust inhibitor in them. Especially after shooting on a hot humid day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom