• HK VP9 or RUGER American 9mm pistol

• Total voters

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Love the VP9.

Different size side panels seemed like a gimmick, but it fits my hand better than any other pistol I have held.

Re-visiting my thread...

My feelings exactly.:party29:

Only other pistol I own that fits me comparably well, is my G21.

No regrets in going with the majority of the vote, and getting the VP9. Been to the range 4 or 5 times with it so far, and shoot it well. Definitely like and prefer it over my G19. No comparison IMO. Still haven't gotten any spare mags, but that's strictly due to laziness. :o

Actually fondled another Ruger American a few weeks ago, at JLowe's, and thought about grabbing one (again) for about 30 seconds, but it just doesn't "feel" right after handling/shooting the HK a few times.

I like RUGERs, but do know VISUALLY, and just my opinion, the RUGER looks "cheap" compared side by side to the H&K. I think the biggest turn-off is the huge size of the replaceable panels of the Ruger. They are pretty much 2/3rds (or more) the size of the entire grip, but then the front of the grip is about as plain jane as it could possibly be...almost slippery.

Speaking of "visual"...ironically, I hated the LOOK of the H&K VP9, due to the palm swell. Now that I have experienced how comfortable and easy it is to shoot, I may either grab a PPQ, or another similarly swelled up grip equipped pistol next. ;)

Since I'm DEFINITELY an impulse buyer, lol, I still may grab a Ruger American one day, but it's not on the short list any longer. ;)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    As you know, I love my vp9 as well. Now I love it even more ;)

Attachments

• 20160611_205150.jpg
      20160611_205150.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 240

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Question for the VP9 owners. I was able to shoot the VP9 and the P320 this weekend both shot well. The issue I had with the VP9 was that my thumb would end up on the slide release and did not lock open on the last round. Would different combinations of panels help with this problem?

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Which ONE would you get, and why?

There's only a $150 price difference between the two, so price is not really a concern.

I'm hoping either one is a "keeper".

I've fondled both, but have shot neither.

Both "feel" great to me.
    Both have various sized backstraps, and HK even has different size grip side panels.
    HK has night sights out of the box.

Both get good reviews everywhere I've looked...

Was waiting to get a Ruger since it's 2 plus weeks away from being on roster, but co-worker who just got his VP9 is ecstatic.
    Doesn't mean I will be, but I do like BOTH....

The Rugers seem to be a bit harder to find, and neither is really available to rent and shoot, so not much hands on info to use...

I dont know if I'm too late but there is a great article in Recoil's Concealment magazine Issue 3 on the Ruger. to boil it down, there is no real downside to the ruger other than putting it back together after cleaning it.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Re-visiting my thread...

No regrets in going with the majority of the vote, and getting the VP9. Been to the range 4 or 5 times with it so far, and shoot it well. Definitely like and prefer it over my G19. No comparison IMO. Still haven't gotten any spare mags, but that's strictly due to laziness. :o

Actually fondled another Ruger American a few weeks ago, at JLowe's, and thought about grabbing one (again) for about 30 seconds, but it just doesn't "feel" right after handling/shooting the HK a few times.

I dont know if I'm too late but there is a great article in Recoil's Concealment magazine Issue 3 on the Ruger. to boil it down, there is no real downside to the ruger other than putting it back together after cleaning it.

Yep...Too Late, ;)
    The VP9 disassembles, and re-assembles very quick and easy.
    With my fat fingers, disassembles much easier (for ME) than a Glock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom