• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    The six instructors here at Atlantic Tactical Firearms have trained over 1000 basic pistol students and not one came from the nra website. Just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the new blended basic pistol training.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I have always used videos and power points of their charts. I'm not sure I have a problem with it as long as there is live fire. The person demonstrates safe handling and passes the test. I always cover cleaning the firearm afterwards just because you should.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have always used videos and power points of their charts. I'm not sure I have a problem with it as long as there is live fire. The person demonstrates safe handling and passes the test. I always cover cleaning the firearm afterwards just because you should.

The point I have is that they all took the class at the same time with you and then went to the range. Getting people off the net to go to the range at the same time may not prove to be time efficient.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Personally, I believe it is nothing more than the NRA's way of getting their slice of the pie. They give the excuse of making everything the same because of some instructors not doing it correctly, instead of weeding out the bad instructors or the training counselors who rubber stamp instructor creds.

The class is still an 8 hour class, but now the NRA is getting part of the money we should be getting? I will do it their way but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I can not remember the last person I taught that came from the NRA web site. They have now made an already difficult process, getting students, even more difficult I think because it will now be more time and money they have to commit to.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    if they made it so instructors could opt in to the program, i'd be fine with it, but they didn't. as well, they say computers can be found everywhere and can be provided to the student if necessary, such as a library, family member, etc. i call BS! i did the sample trainers course provided and was HIGHLY discouraged when the opening intro said, "this will take about 6 hours to complete, but don't worry, we break it up into 15 minute segments, where you can stop and come back to it if necessary.

i'll be at the TC workshop in two weeks and will listen to them, but will voice my concerns, also concerns expressed by other trainers and TC'S.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    if they made it so instructors could opt in to the program, i'd be fine with it, but they didn't. as well, they say computers can be found everywhere and can be provided to the student if necessary, such as a library, family member, etc. i call BS! i did the sample trainers course provided and was HIGHLY discouraged when the opening intro said, "this will take about 6 hours to complete, but don't worry, we break it up into 15 minute segments, where you can stop and come back to it if necessary.

i'll be at the TC workshop in two weeks and will listen to them, but will voice my concerns, also concerns expressed by other trainers and TC'S.

Please let us know that the reaction and response is from the NRA training team especially as the May deadline is coming up fast.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    As part of my instructor training, I had to take the new online portion. Without knowing exactly how things were done before, I didn't mind it and was impressed with how well laid out it was. The production level is extremely high. A lot of thought and planning went into it -- just a novice's observation.

It's very similar to the online Texas hunting license courses that are out there.
    Done at your own pace with pop quizzes and reference checks throughout. The basics of pistol shooting book is well done too.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    I think the incorporation of online training for the course's knowledge portions is the smart way to go. However, I also think the NRA blew the implementation. There was little to no apparent involvement by front line NRA instructors and training counselors, poor to no timely and meaningful information to the field by the NRA training department regarding implementation, and the NRA is charging too much - should be $20 for the online portion, not $60.

I understand that NRA Pistol Instructor candidates must also take the online $60 course and it's not part of the Pistol Instructor Course fee.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yup. $60 more dollars. The cost is a bit high. I think $40 would be more appropriate.

Instructor candidates should have the fee waived

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Really not that interested in teaching their course. Most of the experience instructors could buy the pistol book and conduct a class without their certification. Most can teach fl, utah, and other ccw without this course. Problem I have is no imput from any TC or instructors to get the program up.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

Please let us know what they are saying at the training counselor workshop. Called twice a couple of months ago and left question on the answering machine. No word back yet.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    It is a money grab by the NRA for sure. If they really wanted to help the instructor community they would have rolled out this program for the Rifle course which is too long, and left the Basic Pistol course alone. It was certainly not broken and didn't need to be "fixed" or updated.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It is a money grab by the NRA for sure. If they really wanted to help the instructor community they would have rolled out this program for the Rifle course which is too long, and left the Basic Pistol course alone. It was certainly not broken and didn't need to be "fixed" or updated.

Agreed.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland

I can't argue with this. The pistol course was right on in my opinion.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Do we have the ability to "fail" someone who comes to us after having completed the online course? That is, if they don't demonstrate competency in what is taught in the online course, am I under any obligation to take them onto the range for the live-fire portion?

As a former colleague at an online university, we were always worried about who was actually doing the coursework. Could it be possible for someone else to take this online course and show up with a lack of competent knowledge? What is my responsibility as an Instructor if someone shows up with a lack of understanding of what was taught in the online class?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    As stated it is a money grab. It's also going to drive potential students away. We have a training cadre at Sanner's Lake who teach classes and we do it at a greatly reduced rate for our members. Not anymore. We also conduct a Women on Target class almost monthly and many of them make the decision at the last minute or under a bit of cajoling from a friend. I see that segment not coming. If they already are a bit pensive about coming and now have to spend a few hours online before attending, they just won't come. I also wonder about those who don't have internet. I know most folks these days do, but we do get quite a few seniors, especially at WoT who don't do the internet.
    I see it as a loss for the shooting sports overall.
    IF NRA wants to week out crappy instructors, then do it. I know they are out there. We all hear the stories of the PPOTH and PPITH classes that don't have a qualified legal instructor or Basic rifle/pistol classes that are done in a fraction of the minimum time. This isn't the way to bring up the standards. Instead, it's how NRA is making more money.
    I can see many instructors will just decide to splinter off and go it alone.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I would be interested in signing a letter or petition letting the NRA know that they are screwing over their instructors. If anyone knows of an existing one please post. Otherwise I might draft something. I am sure the hundreds of quality NRA pistol instructors around the country, like us, are trying to figure out what to do with this BS.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i am requesting all the NRA instructors here, send me a PM, outlining your approvals or disprovals or your concerns and comments. i will print them out and make the issue known to the NRA training headmasters. thank you for your attention to the matter.

anonymity guaranteed, but with that, comes a "he said-she said" situation. :smoke:

with permission of the MODS here, i would like to print out this thread.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Your welcome to use my comments woodstock. The only constructive one is that they are charging too much. I recommend $20 instead of $60.

My other comments about how they poorly implemented blended training are not useful for your purpose and it's too late to fix these.

I hope the NRA drops the online price soon. If they don't, I think many if not most instructors and students will seek training venues other than NRA courses employing costly blended training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom