• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm getting ready to put a Green Mountain barrel on my 10/22. I watched a DIY video on Youtube and it seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone have a .22LR go / no go gauge i can barrow to check it once i'm done?

I can either meet up with you or pay shipping both ways.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    Never used go and no go gauges when replacing barrels on a 10/22. just make sure the extractor is lined up with the slot in the barrel, tighten down holder and go shoot.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, headspace on the 10/22 is set by the bolt. So if the bolt was good with one barrel, it should be fine with the next.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Its a direct blow back design with straight wall cartridge. I don't think head spacing is an issue (the bolt does not have to lock). Did the tac sol barrel on mine. Great rifles.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There is headspace with a .22 RF.

Pinecone is correct that headspace is set by the bolt in a 10/22. If the gun functions fine now, you should be ok with a barrel swap and no gauges. If I had .22 RF gauges I would loan them to you, but they are the last caliber I have not purchased gauges for. Soon.....

Headspace is VERY important on a rimfire because insufficient headspace can lead to slam fires, and too much can lead to failure to fire.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Its a direct blow back design with straight wall cartridge. I don't think head spacing is an issue (the bolt does not have to lock). Did the tac sol barrel on mine. Great rifles.

Does not lock per-se but needs to fully close and the bolt face is part of headspace as in the rim should fit in the boltface when it closes fully. Good barrel though so odds are no problem but never hurts to check and it is the best practice.

Last edited:
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    When you install the barrel, make sure there is no paint in the bore in the receiver that the barrel tenon goes into. BTW, the barrel bore of Ruger receivers are often not drilled along the center axis of the gun so don't be surprised if the barrel is cocked off to the left or right. I've done quite a bit of research on this and it seems to be a common issue.
    Here's Tony Kidd on installing a barrel. Follow his lead and you will not go wrong:

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    The 10/22 barrel is faced flat. If it's ok now with the factory barrel that means the bolt is OK, not a lot of magic to getting it right after that.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    There is headspace with a .22 RF.

Pinecone is correct that headspace is set by the bolt in a 10/22. If the gun functions fine now, you should be ok with a barrel swap and no gauges. If I had .22 RF gauges I would loan them to you, but they are the last caliber I have not purchased gauges for. Soon.....

Headspace is VERY important on a rimfire because insufficient headspace can lead to slam fires, and too much can lead to failure to fire.

Thank you, learned something new. 10/22 though are such simple designs.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have a GM barrel on my 10/22. I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a simple swap just make sure the barrel is seated correctly and the bolts are properly torqued. This target is 4, 50 yard groups trying different brands of factory ammo. The tightest groups are CCI standard.

earlybirdnj

Aug 1, 2013
    I have a GM barrel on my 10/22. I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a simple swap just make sure the barrel is seated correctly and the bolts are properly torqued. This target is 4, 50 yard groups trying different brands of factory ammo. The tightest groups are CCI standard.

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom