Did anyone else catch this Op-Ed piece in the Baltimore Sun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Does the person who penned the column want to know how much money you make, or who you voted for too?

Seems that she is a nosy busy body

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    How about we put gun free signs on her house so all the criminals steal from her house instead of coming to mine to steal my guns. Put her on a list of dumb a$$'s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I love this quote from the article: "Gun owners may feel picked on, but they are not a persecuted class. They are individuals who have chosen to keep in their homes an object whose only purpose is to injure or kill, whether in self defense or otherwise."

Well if that is true, guns are doing a terrible job and are extremely ineffective. With there being over 300 million guns in this country, only 10,000 homicides a year or even 30,000 gun deaths, the 300 million guns need to step it up at "only being used to injure or kill."

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    These words are ALL I needed to read to tell me that the writer (Trisha Bishop) is stuck in lah lah land and knows NOTHING about the subject of guns as it applies to the legitimate 2A Community.

I'm less afraid of the criminals wielding guns in Baltimore, I declared as we discussed the issue, than I am by those permitted gun owners. I know how to stay out of the line of Baltimore's illegal gunfire; I have the luxury of being white and middle class in a largely segregated city that reserves most of its shootings for poor, black neighborhoods overtaken by "the game."

Those "game players" DON'T stay in those neighborhoods. They venture out into HER neighborhood and rob folks who are just as blissfully ignorant as she is. And the ONLY protection in her neighborhood is in the hands of those gun owners that she is afraid of. What a STUPID idiot she is. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I love this quote from the article: "Gun owners may feel picked on, but they are not a persecuted class. They are individuals who have chosen to keep in their homes an object whose only purpose is to injure or kill, whether in self defense or otherwise."

Well if that is true, guns are doing a terrible job and are extremely ineffective. With there being over 300 million guns in this country, only 10,000 homicides a year or even 30,000 gun deaths, the 300 million guns need to step it up at "only being used to injure or kill."

IF gun owners were the "murderous bastards" that the anti-gunners claim they are... There would not be any anti-gunners alive. :cool:

Also... she has at her use and disposal, the equipment to be a prostitute... Should we assume or be afraid that she is a wh___?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There is so much stupid in this article it's hard to know where to even begin.

I am glad the hoplophobic liberal can always move to get away from the illegal gunfire from the poor minorities. If a Republican had written this, it would have been labeled racist, and frankly rightly so.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What a complete and total moron. Wonder if she's afraid of police officers who have holstered guns around kids all the time. The stupid on the left just amazes me everyday.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    It's inevitable when my husband and I visit family these days that the subject of violence in Baltimore comes up. Often, I'm the one who raises it.
    Of course its inevitable when you are the one constantly bringing it up. Maybe if you learned to shut your pie hole once in a while no one else would bring it up? :banghead:

and of the story my brother-in-law, who lives in Florida, told of a neighbor stopping by to shoot the breeze in his suburban driveway, a handgun holstered at the man's waist as their kids played nearby.
    So no one was harmed? The world didnt explode? I cant imagine it. Someone safely handled their firearm and we should all throw our hands up and run around screaming, got it. :omg:

I'm less afraid of the criminals wielding guns in Baltimore, I declared as we discussed the issue, than I am by those permitted gun owners. I know how to stay out of the line of Baltimore's illegal gunfire; I have the luxury of being white and middle class in a largely segregated city that reserves most of its shootings for poor, black neighborhoods overtaken by "the game." The closest I typically get to the action is feeling the chest-thumping vibrations of the Foxtrot police helicopter flying overhead in pursuit of someone who might be a few streets over, but might as well be a world away. But I don't know where the legal gun owners are or how to ensure that their children, no matter how well versed in respecting firearms, won't one day introduce that weapon to my daughter.
    Ah all that white privileged guilt seeping through thank you. Please dont fear the person who actually doesnt give a crap whether you live or die, if you see their face they would prefer you die, but instead the law abiding is who you need to fear. That and not teaching your child safety. Maybe you keep her wrapped in bubble wrap or locked in her room for the rest of her life.

but how about adding something immediately useful: a gun owner registry available to the public online — something like those for sex offenders. I'm not equating gun owners with predatory perverts, but the model is helpful here;
    No the model is only helpful in comparing the two. Right you dont mean to compare them. Maybe we should make the press get finger printed, photoed, go through an ambiguous process to obtain a license to practice their constitutional right. Then we can make them pay some random fee every year or so and make them jump through the hoops again, just to make sure we dont allow any who might feed into an insurrection. Then we can also keep a list of them with all of their pertinent information that we post online for anyone in the world to see. Maybe have the government make spontaneous visits to their home to make sure you arent keeping anything we deem illegal on a private computer or note pad at home. After all the pen is far more dangerous than the sword or firearm.

Before the 33 percent of U.S. households containing a gun (half of which don't secure them) gets too worked up, they should know that it would likely include many of my relatives and their friends.
    Im sure that statistic is perfectly accurate. Did you poll the 2 people you know who have a firearm? Maybe they take out the firing pins or remove the bolts? Hmmm lots of ways to protect from unauthorized use of a firearm. But being sooo skeeered you probably dont understand that. Its always ok so long as we keep our heads in the sand.

My folks were taught how to handle guns and use them safely. But that doesn't do much to allay my fears; it's the simple presence of the weapon in the home and the possibilities it presents that terrify me.
    Im sure those poor blacks that live a few streets over probably terrify you also. I bet you lock your doors the second you get near their neighborhood. Maybe you can talk some more about their plight and how privileged you are. It sure seems to help. Its always ok as long as they are a "world away" and you dont have to think about them being near you, unless one day you do.

I still have the paper target practice sheet taped to my cubicle to flaunt my bullseye. There was a definite rush to handling the weapon, and I could see the attraction of target practice as a hobby. But the risk to owning the gun isn't worth it to me.
    Must be nice to be all privileged and show it off to everyone around you. I see how you relate to me now and that we have the same things at heart. END SARCASM ... well maybe not yet.

Guns in the home are far more likely to be used accidentally, in suicides or family disputes than in self defense, according to studies based on anecdotal evidence. (Perhaps Mr. Obama's improved research will show for sure.) And I'm pretty certain that if I'd had a gun the one time I was the victim of a violent crime (in upstate New York), the outcome would have been a lot worse than it was, with the firearm turned against me in short order. Instead, I was able to scream and break away from a mugger with a dull knife trying to force me into a vacant lot between rowhouses.
    Ah yes. That dear old robber with a dull knife who never meant you no harm. You poor white privileged woman. You probably would have been ok if you wet yourself and laid still for him. Go hate yourself somewhere else.

(I'm willing to compromise by including the officer's name, but not address, in my database.) Much of the response, though, was made up of comments like this one: "so, should we start wearing yellow Stars of David so the general public can be aware of we are??"
    Cuz its so hard to figure out where someone lives by just their name and profession. Nope, not at all. You might as well ask us to wear that yellow star.

Gun owners may feel picked on, but they are not a persecuted class.
    Its probably because for nearly a century we have been. Every turn people like you try to take away our rights. Or post something publicly to put our lives in danger.

Tricia Bishop is The Sun's deputy editorial page editor. Her email is tricia.bishop@baltsun.com; Twitter: @triciabishop.
    This was all I needed to read to know how the stupid hurts.

THE STUPID IT BURNS!!!!:sad20:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The stupid on the left just amazes me everyday.

Not stupidity, IMO. It's mental illness in the form of elitist, golden-spoon syndrome on parade. She considers herself privileged and above most everyone else. She expects the world to conform to her delusions. Disgusting that The Sun lets her abuse her position to make thinly-veiled proclamations about being proud to keep all those Baltimore "negroes" at a safe distance from her. She's using hate for guns as a straw man to try to mask deeper beliefs. The KKK must have a warm seat waiting for her.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    That could have been written by a co-worker of mine. We just had that discussion day before yesterday, almost verbatim. She's a nice lady, we get along fine and have friendly discussions on a lot of things, but when this came up it was hard for me to take. We talked for an hour and she absolutely will not budge on the idea that evil, black things that go bang should be military and police only. Offered to take her shooting; no interest. She used the same line..."guns are only for killing" and have no other use.
    I did win a free lunch when one of her cube-area mates heard us talking and made a bet with me that I am not a registered Democrat. He was astonished when I showed him my registration card.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    "Guns in the home are far more likely to be used accidentally, in suicides or family disputes than in self defense, according to studies based on anecdotal evidence. "

Anecdotal evidence. Until Obama's research helps us out.
    This is absurd. If they were using anything other than anecdotes and emotions this would all be a 180 degree turn from where it is. We the law abiding armed don't do illegal stuff. If they used real research and unmolested statistics they would be shocked to find that firearms decrease crime.

Also glad to know she as a magic shield against all the danger in Baltimore. No wonder the sun is going out of business.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That could have been written by a co-worker of mine. We just had that discussion day before yesterday, almost verbatim. She's a nice lady, we get along fine and have friendly discussions on a lot of things, but when this came up it was hard for me to take. We talked for an hour and she absolutely will not budge on the idea that evil, black things that go bang should be military and police only. Offered to take her shooting; no interest. She used the same line..."guns are only for killing" and have no other use.

Your co-worker is trying to live in a fantasy world. Until recently, you could have been talking to my mother. For decades, my mother was rabidly anti-gun, living in a quiet blue-collar neighborhood where nothing much ever happened. Now violent crime is starting to move in. Suddenly she wants to buy a gun. Ironic how that works when reality comes calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom