Strike while the iron is hot! Welcoming new shooters!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have 5 women and 1 man in my office who want me to teach them to shoot and perhaps help them with deciding if they want a handgun or home defense shotgun. I am probably going to try and get together somehow with an IP who can help them more than I can (knowledge/options/and safety wise), not sure I'm the right guy to teach them. (yes, I'd love suggestions)

My better half told me last night that she wants to get her own handgun as well and learn how to use it.

The boss also wants to arm the office.

I think the flood gates are open.

IMO, two ways:

1) Get them to a qualified instructor.

2) Become a qualified instructor.

Well meaning people, who have not been trained to train, can cause more harm than good.

I used to think it was OK, but as I became certified to teach more and more different things, I saw the fallacy in doing it without the proper training.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    IMO, two ways:

Well meaning people, who have not been trained to train, can cause more harm than good.

I used to think it was OK, but as I became certified to teach more and more different things, I saw the fallacy in doing it without the proper training.

Amen here. After shooting on Sat/Sun I'll hang around the range to watch others being instructed, often incorrectly, by well meaning friends, spouses, family, etc. Even self taught experienced shooters give erroneous advise or don't correct the errors of the student.

Even while shooting I'll pause to step back from the line to observe those around me. I want the range to be a safe environment, but still want new shooters to have fun & realize the pistols need to be respected with safe operational practices in place.

This has been a learning experience for me as I continue to add these lessons learned to my formal training.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    IMO, two ways:

Amen here. After shooting on Sat/Sun I'll hang around the range to watch others being instructed, often incorrectly, by well meaning friends, spouses, family, etc. Even self taught experienced shooters give erroneous advise or don't correct the errors of the student.

Even while shooting I'll pause to step back from the line to observe those around me. I want the range to be a safe environment, but still want new shooters to have fun & realize the pistols need to be respected with safe operational practices in place.

This has been a learning experience for me as I continue to add these lessons learned to my formal training.

VERY GOOD POSTS...

While it is true that we want to "strike while the iron is hot"... At the same time, full speed ahead can get folks caught up in the rush and hot irons can burn if one is not careful.

T R A I N I N G and S A F E T Y... Are priceless commodities. Be careful and watch out for folks who would be better off being protected than attempting to protect themselves. We can't afford to encourage any accidents.

I've talked to many folks and assisted them in their search for the best SD. And I've met a couple who were just not cut out to be trusted with a firearm... Those folks are out there... Be vigilant...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'll take people to the range but I'm from an expert or qualified to teach so I always encourage them to take an NRA Basic Pistol to First steps class. The 12 hour one, I can't keep the names straight.
    On a positive note, I stopped in everyone's favorite Cont Arms to peruse the cases and they had a class breaking up. About 15+ people. Aged I'm guessing, 40-65. Equal mix of male and female. Looked like mostly couples. To me this is a good sign. They told me that class sign ups have been on the up tick.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    VERY GOOD POSTS...

While it is true that we want to "strike while the iron is hot"... At the same time, full speed ahead can get folks caught up in the rush and hot irons can burn if one is not careful.

T R A I N I N G and S A F E T Y... Are priceless commodities. Be careful and watch out for folks who would be better off being protected than attempting to protect themselves. We can't afford to encourage any accidents.

I've talked to many folks and assisted them in their search for the best SD. And I've met a couple who were just not cut out to be trusted with a firearm... Those folks are out there... Be vigilant...

Well said! :thumbsup:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Saw a young gentleman renting a pistol at Freestate as I was packing up last night, who was having issues with the slide release. After showing him that the slide cannot be slingshotted with an empty mag inserted, I hung around to chat a bit.

He was hitting the target high. I thought he was trying for headshots, but then he joked that he's aiming for the center. After showing him good stance and how to aim, by focusing on the front sight, he hit a bullseye and kept the rest of his group towards his point of aim. He was much happier with those results ;)

We kept chatting and I even held his phone for him for a video.

Turns out he just got his HQL and was there in preparation of getting a handgun soon.

Demographic: 22 years old, black, college grad from a local university who's going back for his masters in computer science -- not quite the media-narrative type gun buyer now, huh?

When I asked him why he wanted a handgun... "Personal protection."
    He was also aware of the difficulty in getting a MD carry permit.

---
    I told him about MSI and to check out this forum.

You never know who you'll run into out there.
    I think we're all doing something right :thumbsup:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Saw a young gentleman renting a pistol at Freestate as I was packing up last night, who was having issues with the slide release. After showing him that the slide cannot be slingshotted with an empty mag inserted, I hung around to chat a bit.

He was hitting the target high. I thought he was trying for headshots, but then he joked that he's aiming for the center. After showing him good stance and how to aim, by focusing on the front sight, he hit a bullseye and kept the rest of his group towards his point of aim. He was much happier with those results ;)

We kept chatting and I even held his phone for him for a video.

Turns out he just got his HQL and was there in preparation of getting a handgun soon.

Demographic: 22 years old, black, college grad from a local university who's going back for his masters in computer science -- not quite the media-narrative type gun buyer now, huh?

When I asked him why he wanted a handgun... "Personal protection."
    He was also aware of the difficulty in getting a MD carry permit.

---
    I told him about MSI and to check out this forum.

You never know who you'll run into out there.
    I think we're all doing something right :thumbsup:

Yesterday saw some Jewish people there which made me happy thinking they wont let what happened during WWII to happen again. In the parking lot was a Baltimore Shomrim vehicle , guess they were getting ready for the verdict

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yesterday saw some Jewish people there which made me happy thinking they wont let what happened during WWII to happen again. In the parking lot was a Baltimore Shomrim vehicle , guess they were getting ready for the verdict

I've seen them there before. Very, very nice folks :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom