Forum thoughts on Remington 1911 R1 45acp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Can't search from my phone so asking here about what the general consensus is regarding the Remington 1911 R1?

Anybody have one?

Know if they're nice or not?

Made in USA?

Was considering a Rock Island Armory 1911 but something about the Made in Pakistan doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy....

Any input on the Remington ?

Thanks in advance.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    RIA is made in the Philippines, not Pakistan. But the Remington is made in the USA, and the R1 is a milspec 1911. If you want a beavertail grip safety and better sights, go with their enhanced version.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I had an R1 Enhanced, and made a thread about it. Check it out here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=71284

Awesome. Thanks for the link!

RIA is made in the Philippines, not Pakistan. But the Remington is made in the USA, and the R1 is a milspec 1911. If you want a beavertail grip safety and better sights, go with their enhanced version.

Ooops. Well, I knew it was a P word, lol...

I have an R1 Enhanced. It's been a decent pistol to date. I probably have 2000 rounds or so through mine. No complaints. It's a decent .45 for the money spent IMO.

http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic87.html

Very nice looking pistol. I ask about the basic R1, because one of our IP's has them for what looks like a very nice price point of $549. :thumbsup:

That's about all I want to spend at this point for 1911 #2. I have an SR1911 and love it, but wanted to add another 1911 to the collection without breaking the bank. :o

I was all but settled on a "Tactical" model RIA 9mm 1911, but can't find a source for extra mags, so that pretty much ended that idea. I have several spare 45acp 7, 8 and 10rd mags, so that helps the choice to go 45 instead of 9mm. ;)

Any suggestions on another 1911 at $500 or so are more than welcome. :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You can get low use 9mm 1911 mags (single stack) for under $20. New, they will run under $30 apiece for good mags, now, Midway, blue Metalform 9 shot for $21.99. That was probably an ETM mag you priced from Wilson Combat.

I modded on R1 for a friend then shot it a good bit. Looked over two others. Barrel fit is very good. Reliable, the small frame and slide parts are nice for their price tier. For $549, you can't go wrong.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Can't search from my phone so asking here about what the general consensus is regarding the Remington 1911 R1?

Anybody have one?

Know if they're nice or not?

Made in USA?

Was considering a Rock Island Armory 1911 but something about the Made in Pakistan doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy....

Any input on the Remington ?

Thanks in advance.

As was pointed out by another... RIA is NOT made in Pakistan... It is made in the Philippines and distributed by Armscor of America. Armscor is located in Pahrump Nevada. I own one of the 1911s that were purchased in the MDS Group Buy. It functions great with any ammo. When I first bought it, I had some concerns with it and called the Armscor Company in Nevada. They connected me with their on-site gunsmith... After talking with him, I sent the pistol to him to address the issue and check the frame. I have NEVER had such good customer service as the Armscor People gave me. And I have no problem recommending the RIA as a viable low cost - VERY good value 1911. RIA is a Series 70 pistol.

That said... I have friends who have the Remingtons and like them very well also. The ONLY thing I do not really like about the Remington is that they are owned by the "Freedom Arms Group" and quality control has become questionable in most of the companies that they have acquired. Also there are a lot of tales about the R1 having proprietary parts that can not be replaced with standard 1911 parts. R1 is a Series 80 Pistol.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=113153

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I have an R1 I use for IDPA. I upgraded/replaced a lot of pieces and stoned the action. Have around 3000 rounds through it to date with no problems.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I have a Remington 1911 R1 and really like it. I use it primarily for home SD. It's very accurate and eats everything including reloads. It's one of my favorites - can't decide between it and my SP 101 3", although they are completely different guns.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have one to the Rem Enhanced with the high sites for suppressors. It has a threaded barrel and the sites are definitely high enough. I like it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have had a R1 Carry Commander for going on 2 years - excellent pistol - but with all the included upgrades and enhancements MSRP is about $1,300. If you can find one for anything close to $1,100 its a good deal.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    <<<---This guy would be in divorce court if he spent 1200-1300, or even 1000 on a pistol for plinking...lol.

The version I want, the Plain Jane R1 w/5" barrel is the ONLY version I am considering getting, due to the price, out the door, of less than $600. I'd be happy to hear of any more in that price range, but the next tier up is not in my range of what I want to pay. I'm just looking for another 5" barreled 1911, that is decent, and $600 or less. ;)

rem_1911_r1.jpg

I would prefer a series 70 though. I didn't realize that the R1 was an 80 series. My only other 1911, so far, is the SR1911 Ruger, which I really like.

The RIA at nearly the same money (since R1 is on sale), is not even in the same league, as far as looks...The reviews I found online seem to say there's a "hit or miss" factor with them out of the box (as in quality control, although I didn't dig too deeply), whereas I can't really find any bad opinions about the R1...I know I can buy "pretty" grips, but that's why I put the thread up, to get opinions and recommendations on my next 1911, $600 or less purchase.

411539079_2.jpg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    <<<---This guy would be in divorce court if he spent 1200-1300, or even 1000 on a pistol for plinking...lol.

The version I want, the Plain Jane R1 w/5" barrel is the ONLY version I am considering getting, due to the price, out the door, of less than $600. I'd be happy to hear of any more in that price range, but the next tier up is not in my range of what I want to pay. I'm just looking for another 5" barreled 1911, that is decent, and $600 or less. ;)

rem_1911_r1.jpg

I would prefer a series 70 though. I didn't realize that the R1 was an 80 series. My only other 1911, so far, is the SR1911 Ruger, which I really like.

The RIA at nearly the same money (since R1 is on sale), is not even in the same league, as far as looks...The reviews I found online seem to say there's a "hit or miss" factor with them out of the box (as in quality control, although I didn't dig too deeply), whereas I can't really find any bad opinions about the R1...I know I can buy "pretty" grips, but that's why I put the thread up, to get opinions and recommendations on my next 1911, $600 or less purchase.

411539079_2.jpg

RIA has a much better warranty... Their pistols are guaranteed for life. Even if you are the 30th + owner. And their customer service is gold line.

You may find a sub $350 to $400 gently used RIA Tactical model out there.

My cousin recently bought a compact 3.5" RIA for $350 at his LGS in NJ. He said its his "new favorite gun".

Happy hunting...
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411539799/redirect

http://ezine.m1911.org/RIATactical.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom