• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I've lived in Maryland about 5 years now but I've never spent any amount of time on the Eastern Shore. My grandfather was born and raised in Girdletree and I'd like to get down there and just check it out. From what I've learned, there's a volunteer fire department and not a whole lot else. It's right up my alley by the sounds of it. Can anyone pass on some firsthand info about the area? Know any long-term residents? My grandfather was born around 1920, not sure when he left the area... It would be cool to find a family with old time ties to the area. Thanks!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I've lived in Maryland about 5 years now but I've never spent any amount of time on the Eastern Shore. My grandfather was born and raised in Girdletree and I'd like to get down there and just check it out. From what I've learned, there's a volunteer fire department and not a whole lot else. It's right up my alley by the sounds of it. Can anyone pass on some firsthand info about the area? Know any long-term residents? My grandfather was born around 1920, not sure when he left the area... It would be cool to find a family with old time ties to the area. Thanks!

Ya think???? Best find some xplants like CinC........... to steal a line from a movie (Planet of the Apes)

Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find. :)

ziffels.jpg

On the plus side.............. excellent hunting. :cool:

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Great grand parents (passed away), and grand parents live there. They live caddy corner to the fire house. Family use to own a general store, and be post master for the town.

Eugene13

Apr 3, 2013
    I hunt there, have for the last 15 years. I really like the area but I dont spend much time there other than September - January. I do occasionaly window shop for houses there.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

TheBert googled his last name to see i there were any places in Maryland and there was. So, off the family goes, we get on 50 east and take a right in Cambridge and come the TheBert's last name place in Maryland. What did we see when we got there? A boat ramp, marshes and a whole lotta nuttin. We we then traced our path back to Cambridge and had lunch and then meandered on home.

It's just a sleepy little town nestled between Stockton and Snow Hill, MD. Watch your speed coming through in the mornings...county cops sit with radar at the fire station. We have a bike bash in June and a cash bash in November. I'm a self employed resident living in Girdletree, operating under Makuchal's Signs.
    www.makuchalsigns.com
    I shoot .22 in my backyard frequently and on occasion shot 9mm and even .223 and no one gets excited or calls the cops. Love this town.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Thanks for the replies. My dad will be visiting from Spokane in August and I plan on checking the area with him. I'm sure he would like to see where his dad was from - I don't know if he's ever been there.

jehu

May 23, 2005
    Girdletree is a fine point widdeled down to nothing! Always had great subs at the old country store in the early 70's when I was a huntin guide on Mills Island Tump.:rolleyes:

CnC

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    Well, just found this thread! Sorry, better late than never.. :D

The Greater Girdletree metro area houses two major industries, fire suppression and postal services. Aside from the post office and VFD, it's residential. There is no traffic light or stop sign. The closest town (ahem) is Stockton, which has it's own VFD but no post office. Stockton does have a stop sign, making it a highly urbanized area in relation to Girdletree. Stockton also has a bar called the Timeless Tavern on it's outskirts (They don't like droids in this bar, make sure to leave your droid in your speeder outside).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom