• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have a C&R which I have been using to purchase various C&R firearms. However, I am looking into possibly selling some but have not done this before. So I would like some clarification as to what needs to be done.

When I sell the C&R firearm should I write-up a bill of sale? And what information should be show on the bill of sale?

When I transfer the C&R firearm to another C&R holder or other type of FFL holder should a signed copy of our licenses be exchanged?

Lastly, any other useful info should I be aware of when selling my C&R acquired items?

Thanks!

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    Anytime I sell a handgun ( I'm in Michigan , remember ) I get either an FFL copy or State CPL ( concealed pistol license) or copy of the buyers Purchase Permit. We self register handguns in Michigan, with a CPL, so I fill out a 3 part form ( RI-60) and keep the sellers copy. If it's a C&R weapon, I enter the purchaser's info into the C&R bound log book. When I SHIP, I also keep a copy of the shipping label, and staple that to the other paperwork.

Federally speaking, the bound book log entry is the important part for C&R weapons.

:)
    Brent

Attachments

• Firearm Bill of Sale.jpg
      Firearm Bill of Sale.jpg
      115.2 KB · Views: 184

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    You do not need a bill of sale, but it wouldn't hurt to use something like the form posted above. The only paper work you need to do is logging the firearm out of your bound book. I only do a bill of sale when the buyer/seller requests it. It's just more paperwork and it is not required by law.

You should provide a signed copy of your FFL.

As for other useful info, just be aware of state laws when selling out of state (and in this state for that matter) and make sure you fill out your bound book correctly. You may want to check out the C&R perks and tips thread.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=931

mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    You do not need a bill of sale, but it wouldn't hurt to use something like the form posted above. The only paper work you need to do is logging the firearm out of your bound book. I only do a bill of sale when the buyer/seller requests it. It's just more paperwork and it is not required by law.

You should provide a signed copy of your FFL.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=931

You MAY provide a signed copy of your FFL, but there is no requirement to do so. You don't need a license to sell the firearm.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Just to cover all bases I do a signed bill of sale and give a copy of my C&R and if selling to another C&R holder I get a copy of theirs too and of course log the sale into my book. Maybe overkill but can't hurt.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you sell a C&R handgun in Maryland, even to another C&R holder you need to transfer through the MSP or an FFL, 7 day wait and all.
    They just wouldn't need to have an HQL.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    The C&R license does not affect selling in any way. Standard state rules apply. However you must log in sales or transfers of C&R firearms while you are licensed, so for that you will need ID of the buyer or a copy of a ffl if transferring to a licensee.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    As a Federal licensee, you have to document all transactions in your Bound Book, if the transaction occurs in Maryland you must abide by the state laws, and above all else you need to know the rules and regulations governing all FFL03's that were provide you with your license.

A bill of sale is not required but good practice for a licensee to supplement documentation, IMHO, since one is dealing with the Federal gov't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom