Beware: Wideners credit/debit cards hacked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I ran into a thread on Gun boards, and apparently ar15.com and other forums are reporting this too.

Apparently Wideners customers' credit card information has been hacked. Many people who ordered from Wideners in the last month have had fraudulent charges on their accounts and have had to cancel cards and start fraud reporting/investigation on their accounts.

This includes me. I ordered from Wideners in early march. Last week I noticed a $267 charge from a fashion store in Beijing on my account. Soon after, two random luxury hotels placed pending charges on my account from different states.

I had to cancel my card, but if you have pending charges that doesn't get you immediately out of the water. You usually have to wait until the final amounts come in. Luckily this was a secondary account I have set up just for online ordering. If this happens to your main, or only account, you can end up with no debit or credit card for up to a couple weeks (depending on your bank).

Apparently Wideners is aware but chose not to warn their customers. I'm not here to argue about that, I've had good luck with them in all my transactions. However, if they knew about this and didn't warn their customers, I will think twice about using them in the future.

This could all be a coincidence, who knows. But I want anyone who has used a credit or debit card with Wideners in the last month or two to be aware and double check their accounts.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Again, I don't feel right calling out Wideners like this. Please don't take it that way. They have always been good to me

I'm only reporting my personal experience as well as that of several people on gunboards, and apparently over 15 on ar15.com.

I hope you all check your accounts and find nothing but low balances from your C&R addictions :)

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    One guy from gunboards had 7K worth of plane tickets on his account. I'm glad I only had the hotel and fashion store charges!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Check with your bank or credit card issuer to see if they offer an online virtual card number generator. The generator generates a one-time-use virtual credit card number, expiry date and CVV code for use in online and telephone purchases. It works just like your regular credit card in that it looks/works just like a normal credit card to the merchant. However, if the same number gets used again or is double-billed for another purchase, red flags automatically go off at the bank and the charge is either auto-rejected or the user is required to phone the bank to clear the charge (which the bank is unlikely to do).

Although this won't help for in-store/face-to-face purchases with your real card, I can't tell you how many times it's saved my cookies when an online retailer's been hacked.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That's a good idea. I'll have to check into that. I wish my actual bank had that, but I live in the boonies and they just finally got mobile banking within the last year so I doubt it...

I may just start using a credit card with a 1K limit for all my online purchases. Then immediately pay off the card after each purchase. That way I'm not risking my bank account getting hacked every time I order with a debit card. Even though I was using the PayPal debit, it was still linked to my bank account...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    While I have bought from Widener's in the past, I haven't gotten anything from them in the past few months. Nevertheless, my credit card got hacked about a week ago. In my case, the card company's alert system caught the "testing" charge and sent me an e-mail about it. While I was following up on the e-mail, I got a call from the card company. They stopped that card and issued me a new one within 4-5 days. So it may not just be Wideners.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    True, it may not be... it just seems like an awful lot of people having it happen with Wideners purchases in common..some of them even claim no purchases had been made elsewhere in some time with the cards that got hacked..

Its probably not Wideners fault IF they were the origin of the breech. But if they know, a warning email to some customers would be nice. Just be aware if you order from them. Not all banks/cards will catch this stuff, nor are all of them so good about taking care of it and getting you a new card.

Paypal had one to me in a week. When I contacted my bank, they said it would take at least two if I senses up having to cancel that one, and it would have been the entire account; not just the debit card.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I'm not positive it was from Wideners, but it's the only thing that makes sense at the moment. It was a few small charges then a charge for about $70. Since they took place outside of the state, my bank flagged and declined the charges and issued me a new card. I'm really disappointed in wideners for not warning everyone. An email would have sufficed. To order from them you need an account with an email address. Just a send an email to everyone you have listed. How hard is that?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I'm not positive it was from Wideners, but it's the only thing that makes sense at the moment. It was a few small charges then a charge for about $70. Since they took place outside of the state, my bank flagged and declined the charges and issued me a new card. I'm really disappointed in wideners for not warning everyone. An email would have sufficed. To order from them you need an account with an email address. Just a send an email to everyone you have listed. How hard is that?

If they do business in CA, they, by law, have to inform people or face stiff penalties. I think a lot of states have similar laws.
    Like someone said, it might not be them. It could be the processing company.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    That's a good idea. I'll have to check into that. I wish my actual bank had that, but I live in the boonies and they just finally got mobile banking within the last year so I doubt it...

I may just start using a credit card with a 1K limit for all my online purchases. Then immediately pay off the card after each purchase. That way I'm not risking my bank account getting hacked every time I order with a debit card.

Never ever ever ever ever use a debit card online.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I feel bad for folks that got hacked. I had to put a fraud alert on a CC about 10 years ago and that was a serious PITA when I wanted to open a new money market account.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    My Visa card number got highjacked a week and a half ago. I've been wondering how they may have obtained the number. I'm sure I've ordered from Wideners in the last couple months, so maybe that's where they got it.

The crooks tried to make a number of charges, including at Ebay India, but my bank declined all but one and then called me. They reversed the fraudulent charge, cancelled my card, and sent me a new one in a few days. All in all, it was a minor inconvenience.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Got me for a 1350 charge from expedia.com uk. Wonder where I'm going?
    Card is cancelled and charges disputed.

I've recently ordered from wideners, sog and CMP so who knows where it came from

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I recently ordered from them and last Sunday had $2500 of fraudulent charges on my account from merry old England. Got my money back and issued new card.

Shit happens. Widener's has been a good source so I'll let it slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom