• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am really not sure. But I saw it, the price was great and I had the kid in the candy store syndrome once again. All it is is a H&R Handy Rifle, chambered in .35 Whelen. Single shot, compact, break open little rifle that will probably kick the snot out of me if I can ever find factory ammo for it around here. It was at Dicks in Crofton, marked $50 off. Looks like a fun gun to take to Georgia to drop a few wild piggies. Any way it is home, tucked in the snug safe waiting to be scoped and shot. Sometimes you have to yes to those urgings. Luckily this time it did not cost me an arm and a leg, really just a pinky finger.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Looks like I will be either having to get new dies for the reloader or order .35 Whelen online. Stopped by the Tackle Box on my way to the commissary, they did not have any, matter of fact seemed no one has heard of the round before. Not surprised.
    BTW, they really need to fumigate that store, it really smells of mold. if I worked there, I would be concerned with my breathing health.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Yup, the .35 Whelen is basically a 30-06 necked up to .358. Even the factory loads move a heavy .30 caliber bullet to pretty decent speeds with good long range capability. Should do real well for me out to 150 yards which is long range to my eyes. .35 Whelen brass can be bought or formed from 30-06 cases. 30-06 is the parent round to several great cartridges, 25-06, 270, and .35 Whelen are the ones I am familiar with.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I saw some 35 whelen brass on Nosler's website the other day. Problem with Nosler brass is you're going to pay a bit for it. But it seems to last longer than most of the cheaper stuff.

35 whelen is a great round. I have a lot of buddies who use them for moose and brown bear in AK, they do the job very well on large critters.

I'm looking to build one of my own one of these days. But I want to build it off the Winchester Model 70 CRF action, prefferable a stainless classic. Or get Montana Rifle Company to build one for me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yup, the .35 Whelen is basically a 30-06 necked up to .358. Even the factory loads move a heavy .30 caliber bullet to pretty decent speeds with good long range capability. Should do real well for me out to 150 yards which is long range to my eyes. .35 Whelen brass can be bought or formed from 30-06 cases. 30-06 is the parent round to several great cartridges, 25-06, 270, and .35 Whelen are the ones I am familiar with.

.270 Winchester is based on the 30-03 cartridge, not -06. :D

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I've got a 35 remington but you have a bit more punch with the 35 Whelen. I wouldn't expect a big box store to have an old wildcat chambering on the shelf. Nice find.

And we need some pics!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No longer a Wildcat. When Rem began to offer factory rifles in it , they had SAAMI specs established , and introduced factory loads. Way more factory ammo for .35Whelen , than for .338-06ASquare .( SAAMI Specs , but as far as O know only ASquare loaded factory ammo. But it does standardize chamber & die dimentions.)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Capt Skup I need to introduce you to my 6mm-06. It is dam fast and a flat shooting cartridge. I use 25-06 brass neck sized down to .243.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    ShadyDann, I had a beautiful Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for years. It was built in the early 60's, I bought it off of the best dang Navy Chief I ever worked for. He was retiring and sold it to me for $100.00 back in 1986. I loved that gun and the great .35 but sadly had to sell to help pay for a divorce lawyer. Matter of fact I have two packs of Winchester .35 Remington ammo still sitting on the shelf, just incase I find another real Marlin .35.
    I am looking forward to seeing how much kick the 7lb rifle will give me firing the hot Hornady ammo. Right now I have started the search for a good scope for it.
    I am still searching for an additional barrel for the SIG SHR970 in 25-06. I bought it chambered in 30-06 from Cabelas used rack.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Was over in Leesburg yesterday, stopped by Loudon Guns. Bought two boxes of Remington 200 grain ammo. And today the "Buck Commander" Weaver scope I ordered from MidwayUSA along with a set of Weaver Grand Slam rings came in the mail. Woot, Woot, I am a happy camper today. Secure the rail with Locktite and get the scope mounted, hopefully get out to Myrtle Grove to site it in and see how it does. I am use to hard kicking guns but curious to see how this little light gun handles the Whelen round.
    BTW, MidwayUSA has a great deal on these Weaver "Buck Commander" scope. This one was on sale for $96.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom