• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    LOWER.jpg

ESPECIALLY ON TAX STAMP BUILDS. The company name is Georgia Aerospace and Defense Manufacturing. This was the first lower I ever bought in January for $200 after the Sandy Hook mess. At the time it was the only lower I could find. I just wanted to get my paperwork in for my SBR ASAP. That was actually good thinking. Look at the exec. orders.

So thinking that since variants of the AR15 have been around since the 60s, the specs are everywhere, and they're apparently printing them now. There's no way a company could screw it up! Boy was I wrong. Saw some posts on the internet bashing their lowers as nothing fit right. And lord behold! Mine didn't either. Catastrophic fit. Luckily the ATF is helping me out and allowing me to change the serial # without losing my place in line.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Stick with the guys who have been doing it for a while!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Oh its one of those advanced lowers using a cushion of air to help reduce recoil as the upper move rearward on the lower! ;)

Yeah I never gone wrong buying quality. Yeah it costs more but is almost always worth it. Of course you had other things to consider.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sorry this happened to you.

Another moral to the story is to have a COMPLETE and functioning firearm BEFORE submitting a Form 1. Know the gun isn't junk or needs replacing before doing a Tax Stamp unless you can afford to throw away $200.00

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wow, that is really bad. The SBR Form-1 that I have in right now is based on an existing AR-15 carbine so it will be nothing but a barrel swap once approved.

When I recieve a stripped lower, one of the first things I do is slap an upper on it and check the fit. I have not run into this problem on any of the Spikes, LAI, Del-ton, and PSA lowers that I have bought over the last couple months.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Did you replace the butt plate adapter to? It looks cracked.

No that's just the picture. Cheap paint job. The other thing is because it's pretty much Oct 1. There is no remedy. Lost the receipt a long time ago so no refund and can't ask for a replacement because it's October. I let them know though. Still. I hate lessons that cost more than 10 dollars =).

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Sorry this happened to you.

Another moral to the story is to have a COMPLETE and functioning firearm BEFORE submitting a Form 1. Know the gun isn't junk or needs replacing before doing a Tax Stamp unless you can afford to throw away $200.00

So making a pistol, shooting the crap out it to test it, and then SBRing it is the best process to follow?

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes, at a minimum.

Thats my plan then. :)

So now I know to:
    Pin the gas block - looking at a DD 11.5 hammer forged barrel that comes with a pinned low pro block from the factory.

Have a pro assemble the upper - thats easy and doesnt cost much.

Use a quality lower with quality parts – Spikes and PSA, are in my line up right now and Im using Damage Industries lower parts (kind of an unknown but I have confidence in them, fit in my PSA lower perfectly).

Test fire a lot and optimize the buffer weight (repeat when I get a can for it :D)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Question. If there is no space between the carrier and buffer, is this just an aesthetic issue?

No. Recoil is tranferred though the buffer tube to the shoulder stock. W/ a gap, the two pivot/takedown pins (and the upper's 'ears' they go through) are under a lot of stress.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    This can happen with uppers as well. It's obviously not as serious given the current situation with lowers (SB281), but can potentially be more costly if purchasing a complete upper receiver. I was given a Troy Industries complete short barrel upper, and it is out of spec. It would not fit any of my registered lowers including a LMT that I know is dead-on spec. BTW- Troy's customer service is terrible...good thing they make nice sights.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks for the responses to my question. So, is there a spec for this fitment or is it to be flush and out of spec if not? Curious as I have a spikes lower that has a small gap. I built a lightweight DD upper for it and plan to use it a lot at the range as my go to rifle so, this has my interest. I built several over the last 6 mos given tomorrow so, I may just swap it out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question. If there is no space between the carrier and buffer, is this just an aesthetic issue?

No. In cases like this you can lose contact with the carrier and buffer with a gap like that. It will chew up the buffer face because instead of resting on the carrier it slams into the buffer detent. It can also cause the buffer retainer detent to snap off. In limited cases the lower itself can crack at the thin webbing in front of the detent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom