• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Two years ago I bought a 1907 Savage pistol from a MD dealer. I guess they weren't familiar with the pistol as they submitted the paperwork as No Serial Number (I didn't notice this error until later when I was filing away the paperwork). It does have a serial number in a somewhat strange place (edge of frame under barrel). I just got a call from MD State Police inquiring about this pistol and asking to confirm if in fact it doesn't have a serial number. Interesting how this would come up 2 years later.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Two years ago I bought a 1907 Savage pistol from a MD dealer. I guess they weren't familiar with the pistol as they submitted the paperwork as No Serial Number (I didn't notice this error until later when I was filing away the paperwork). It does have a serial number in a somewhat strange place (edge of frame under barrel). I just got a call from MD State Police inquiring about this pistol and asking to confirm if in fact it doesn't have a serial number. Interesting how this would come up 2 years later.
    What the hell is he doing? Tell him to get back to handling background checks!

lol

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I suspect that someone (BATF?) noticed that a pistol known to have been serial numbered was transferred and listed as not having one, it might be surmised that the number was removed, which is illegal. This would make the gun an object of interest; it would also call into question the competence of both the dealer and MSP.

If the Feds are looking into the current MSP situation, they might feel that this error was just one more piece of evidence that MSP is not qualified to be the POC for regulated firearms.

Wouldn't that be interesting?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    do not reply to fishing expeditions.
    this can result in gun confiscation. refer them to the ffl in question only.:thumbsup:

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Would the fact that a gun known to have an OEM SN, now does not have a SN be enough to allow the ATF or MSP to obtain a warrant to search out that weapon?

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    Do yourself a favor and tell them what happened and give them the serial number. Not cooperating may give them the idea that you have something to hide (committed an crime) which may lead to a SWAT executed search warrant at your residence at some ungodly hour for you regular folks for a mistake by the gun shop. If you are worried consult an attorney first. Maybe MSI can give you some advice if you don't have an attorney.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    I called and provided the serial number - she knew that based on her research it should have had a serial number. She thanked me for providing the information stating that by so doing it saved her some additional research.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Do yourself a favor and tell them what happened and give them the serial number. Not cooperating may give them the idea that you have something to hide (committed an crime) which may lead to a SWAT executed search warrant at your residence at some ungodly hour for you regular folks for a mistake by the gun shop. If you are worried consult an attorney first. Maybe MSI can give you some advice if you don't have an attorney.

This is what I thought, and why I thought not providing correct info would cause a lot more problems then not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom