Letter to House Judicial on HB1071 - Comments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Hey guys,

Drafted my letter on HB1071 for sending to the House Judicial Committee (and for giving to friend to sign and send as well), but wanted to pass it by for comment to ensure I'm not saying anything inaccurate or out of place. Please review and provide any comments you may have, thanks!

Michael

DRAFT LETTER:

Friday, February 15, 2008

RE: Support for HB1071

I am writing to express my support for HB1071, Immunity for Use of Physical Force in Defense of Dwelling, a bill recently introduced before the House Judicial Committee.

This bill would protect Maryland citizens from criminal prosecution, and civil liability, if they were compelled to use force (including deadly physical force) against someone who has unlawfully entered the citizen’s dwelling and is in the process of committing, or intends to commit, a crime against the citizen(s) or the property.

Under current law, free citizens of Maryland who defend themselves against a home intruder can face full criminal prosecution, and civil liabilities, simply for defending themselves and their families against unlawful intruders and possible assault and death. This is a failure on the part of the state to protect the freedom and welfare of its law abiding citizens; the law being proposed would help correct this egregious oversight. This form of law is already in place in most other states across the country.

By proposing and passing a bill that is intended to protect free Maryland citizens from those criminals who choose to unlawfully enter their residence, the state of Maryland is taking a big step in gaining the trust of the law-abiding residents of our state.

I strongly support this bill and urge you to give it a favorable report.

Respectfully,

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Looks great. I sent a small note to the Jud. Committee and only 2 responded with any commnet. Let us know if you hear back from anyone.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Levi...

I read the thread where Levi responded, it that was for the change to HB2, correct? It sounded like she wasn't sure (but wasn't opposed), and thought there needed to be more letters to the editor, etc?

I'll be curious to see who responds to this one, I would HOPE that most see the logic in this bill since it deals with defense in your own home, but hey, this is Maryland, can't forget that.

TheYoshi

2A Fanatic
    Feb 13, 2008
    People's Republic of MD
    I read the thread where Levi responded, it that was for the change to HB2, correct? It sounded like she wasn't sure (but wasn't opposed), and thought there needed to be more letters to the editor, etc?

I'll be curious to see who responds to this one, I would HOPE that most see the logic in this bill since it deals with defense in your own home, but hey, this is Maryland, can't forget that.

Yes, that was in response to the letter I sent out to the judiciary committee (which I had posted at the start of that thread).

No one is responding to it, I sent my letter to the committee months ago. I pretty well think the bill is going to be ignored unless we can come up with a way to force it to not be ignored.

I've emailed every news outlet I can think of but don't seem to be able to get any major traction on this thing. The ideal would be a piece on the local news television channels but I have no connections to make that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom