• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    Hey guys, I have two 9mm handguns. My first was a 9mm M&P Shield. I don't shoot it very well and want to get a larger gun. I also have a Star BM which has a steel body and a lot more weight to it. I shoot that one much better. Is weight a big factor in ease of use?

I'd like to consider a CZ 75 B or something similar that has more weight to it as I think I would handle it better. Thoughts?

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    My first handgun purchase was a CZ75B. Love it, but also have a Shield, and with a few thousand rounds through it, think it shoots pretty well too.

Recommend you hit a range that rents handguns and try them out. Take the NRA Pistol class too if you've not had any formal instruction, its not always the gun. ;)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Weight can impact in accuracy. But so can stance, physical strength, eyesight, powder, projectile, case, primer, wind, rotation, grip, etc. I love my shield. One the most accurate guns I have.

ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    My first handgun purchase was a CZ75B. Love it, but also have a Shield, and with a few thousand rounds through it, think it shoots pretty well too.

Recommend you hit a range that rents handguns and try them out. Take the NRA Pistol class too if you've not had any formal instruction, its not always the gun. ;)

That makes sense. I consider myself to be accurate the the Star BM. I can hit center mass on a target at 7-15 yards with it but can't do the same with my shield. I should take a class. My only firearms training was the HQL class.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It will definitely help (when people start to chime in with all their favorite pistols) to mention (OP) how you use and expect to use the gun. Is it for home defense? For fun at the range? Do you carry? The type of use is a huge contributor to these choices. Those steel CZs, for example, are great to shoot, but less fun to carry around all day.

ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    Weight can impact in accuracy. But so can stance, physical strength, eyesight, powder, projectile, case, primer, wind, rotation, grip, etc. I love my shield. One the most accurate guns I have.

That's good to hear. I may need more practice with it then.

ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    It will definitely help (when people start to chime in with all their favorite pistols) to mention (OP) how you use and expect to use the gun. Is it for home defense? For fun at the range? Do you carry? The type of use is a huge contributor to these choices. Those steel CZs, for example, are great to shoot, but less fun to carry around all day.

Good point. Not for home defense and I do not carry. Just for fun at the range.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Good point. Not for home defense and I do not carry. Just for fun at the range.

For that I would recommend either a Browning Hi-Power or some flavor of CZ75. Better yet, one (or more) of both.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    M&P Shield

That makes sense. I consider myself to be accurate the the Star BM. I can hit center mass on a target at 7-15 yards with it but can't do the same with my shield. I should take a class. My only firearms training was the HQL class.

That’s not really firearms training . Take an NRA beginners pistol course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    M&P Shield

51 posts and already selling in the classifieds :sad20:

I could tell by his posts that’s what he was aiming for. Wonder if he’ll get reset….
    Lmao never mind I just saw that he did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom