• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So,
    I have been using Bullseye for my 45 and had worked up a load for 38 spl for a target revolver, but boy, do I have to spend time cleaning that revolver. Would anyone care to give some opinions on working up loads and keeping the burn clean on a revolver with the cylinder gap?
    I'm wondering if powder choice affects the amount/ease of clean up. Also the burn rate? Does making sure I get enough powder burn affect it? Will lighter loads actually make things worse depending on powder?
    My powder
    Bullseye
    W231
    Clays
    International
    Power Pistol
    Unique (I prefer to save this for reduced rifle loads though)

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've had really good success with Clays for 38spl - clean, smooth and accurate.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Definitely the Unique. ;) (kidding - that's going to be dirtier than the Bullseye)

I've always heard that Clays burns cleanly, and W231 is going to be cleaner than Bullseye as well.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    I had problems with W231 leaving a lot of unburnt powder in very light target loads for .38 and .45. I stick with Bullseye and just pull a wet patch through the barrel as soon as I finish shooting.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Bullseye can be dirty. May load it hotter to get more complete burn?
    I'm not sure it matters much - Bullseye is a dirty powder. Not as bad as Unique, but definitely dirty.

For me, I think Unique is a pretty solid powder - maybe a bit dirty, but I guess I'm just not that concerned about it.

In terms of performance, it's called Bullseye for a reason - a lot of guys use it because it's accurate.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    No matter what type of powder you use there will still be some leavins on the revolver. I found Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work really well on cleaning my cylinder on my revolver.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    I'll just agree with others that use(used) Clays. It's been my powder of choice for more then a decade.
    YMMV

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'll just agree with others that use(used) Clays. It's been my powder of choice for more then a decade.
    YMMV
    There was a post on a FB reloading group about Elmer Keith. Elmer was a Bullseye/Unique/2400 pistol reloader, so a question was posited: if Elmer was alive today, what modern powders would he use.

My thought was that he might continue to use Bullseye, Unique and 2400 - they may not be as clean as some of the more modern offerings, but they PERFORM. Elmer never minded cleaning his guns - he was far more concerned with how they performed in terms of velocity and accuracy.

One of these days I'm looking to give Clays and Universal a whirl to see if I'll like them better - supposedly Universal burns cleaner and has roughly the same performance as Unique.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny. Many years ago I switched from Bullseye to Unique as it was cleaner.

Bullseye in my 1911 left the muzzle back about 1 1/2 inches COVERED in soot. Unique was just the bushing a bit sooty.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm hoping to keep my Clays for Trap loads but I'll try it.
    That plus the W231.
    Interesting comment about the 1911 muzzle getting dirty. I think I still have some W231 45 loads left, I'll have to shoot them then compare to my bullseye loads.
    I definitely won't give up my 45 bullseye loads cause they are stupid accurate in my Kimber.

I'm careful with magic erasers, they are a micro abrasive, like 3000 grit sand paper or compounding paste. I've removed paint from some walls and boat vinyl before with them from over use.
    When I have to use them on the boat from scuff marks, I have to follow up and use a polishing compound on the Makita rotary polisher then wax that area again.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Sometimes, adjusting the charge can make it burn more efficiently leaving less residue. That said, Unique is my preferred powder for .38 special. Light loads are something that I generally avoid.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sometimes, adjusting the charge can make it burn more efficiently leaving less residue. That said, Unique is my preferred powder for .38 special. Light loads are something that I generally avoid.
    There was a time where I loaded a lot of fairly light loads for .38 spc (using Bullseye or W231) because my daughter used to accompany me to the range a fair bit, and she liked shooting when there was only mild recoil.

These days I don't load heavy, but I like to take a middle ground approach - I don't want to load at the top end, but I don't want it mild either. that said, those Bullseye loads were always more accurate than me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bullseye and Unique are 2 of my favorite powders for loading. Dirt can be handled by cleaning.

This. Maybe I don’t shoot enough or don’t care enough about cleaning. I usually shot a 50 round box in an outing and I am maybe cleaning my Colt OP every 150-200 rounds whether it needs it or not.

Usually just run a nylon brush through each chamber a couple times and the barrel and done.

I’d have to double check my load. But I am pushing 825fps with a 158gr SWC. I want to say 3.4gr, but it might be more than that. It’s a 6” barrel. It isn’t nearly as clean as a stout load of CFE pistol, but it isn’t horrible.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I'm hoping to keep my Clays for Trap loads but I'll try it.
    That plus the W231.
    Interesting comment about the 1911 muzzle getting dirty. I think I still have some W231 45 loads left, I'll have to shoot them then compare to my bullseye loads.

Maybe you should load 20 - 30 each in 38 of Clays, W231 and Bulleye and go to the range. Burn off the entire load set of each type and clean the gun and save each cleaning cloth or barrel swab for comparison between different powders. The cleaning rag or barrel swabs will tell you all you need to know.

Or make it a full day and 50 of each type. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom