• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I didn't start reloading to save money. That's the same as homebrewing beer. By the time you get all the equipment you aren't "saving" anything. Sure, each batch's materials might be cheap, but I've invested tons of time and money just to get to the point where I can pull the handle. I started to make ammo that I wanted. 5.56 load with no flash suppressant. Subsonic 300 blackout for a single shot/bolt gun using pistol powder. 165gr subsonic 9mm. 357 magnum that expels fire. Mid range 357. 38 special that shoots like a 22. To me it's a lot more about creating what you want than just saving some scratch. Buy it cheap and stack it deep certainly applies to reloading. You definitely won't save any money if you had to get started right now. Collect stuff when and where you can and you'll be ready for next time. Buying everything right now would be painful, if not impossible with all of the shortages.

I don’t know. I don’t drink a ton and some of my gear was repurposed from something else I got as a hand-me-down for free from someone else. But I probably have $500 in my brewing equipment. Not sure I’d rate my beer as some $12 a 6-pack amazing beer. But it’s pretty good. I’d sure pay $8-9 a 6-pack for it at a store.

Generally my total cost of ingredients is between $13-25 for 4-5 gallons of beer. Or about 36-48 bottles once done. So my cost is maybe 50 cents a bottle and more likely closer to 25 cents a bottle for most of my brews (my RIS sure take a lot more grains and some more yeast and some more hops so that might push 60-70c a bottle).

Even fairly inexpensive beer is $1 a bottle. So I am saving roughly 75c a bottle on the average.

650 or so bottles is a lot before you break even. That’s 20 batches roughly.

I brew between 3-8 batches a year (last 2-3 years I just haven’t had much time so it’s been 3-4, I’d like to get back to 5-6). I’ve been brewing for about 10 years now and I switched to my current BiaB all grain about 9 years ago. Call it 40 batches I’ve brewed over the years and it’s probably over 60. Unless my math is badly wrong I broke even about 6-7 years ago and I’ve probably saved between $700 on the low end up to realistically more like $1200 in the last decade (and it might even be more like $1500+). That’s taking in to account my equipment costs and other consumables like bottle caps, cleaning supplies, etc.

If I do get back to brewing more often I’ll probably be at about $200-300 a year in savings. Doesn’t set the world on fire for sure. But it’s a hobby I enjoy and I know it is saving me money (and I’ve crunched my numbers several times on costs for supplies, equipment, etc. as I wanted to figure things out like if it made sense to go for an electric brewing setup and the answer was yes. But it would be like 6-8 years before the cost of propane was offset by the cost of the equipment for a 240v electric brewing setup)

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Things may have changed but I got into reloading due the frustration of inconsistency of factory loads. Went from a 5 inch spread on factory loads to a 1.5 inch spread on hand loads (30-30 Marlin at 100 yards).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Things may have changed but I got into reloading due the frustration of inconsistency of factory loads. Went from a 5 inch spread on factory loads to a 1.5 inch spread on hand loads (30-30 Marlin at 100 yards).

Not a thing has changed.
    As in your example, much depends on just what it is that one wants to do.

If one's goal is go blast away at a 14 inch center mass steel silhouette at 100 yards, that's one set of needs.

If one wants to shoot groundhogs, that's going to be another set of needs.

And if you happen to be the guy who is shooting groundhogs, and asking about shooting it in which eye?

Yeah, you're probably not shooting Wolf Gold.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    IMHO reloading doesn't save money because I end up shooting more.

However, for me, there are some significant advantages: 1) I enjoy reloading; 2) I can tailor my loads to my specific gun and application (i.e. target, SD); 3) if I'm smart and have stocked up on adequate supplies I can reload and weather any shortages; 4) etc...I'm sure there are more reasons that I will think of after I post.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I started reloading in college to save money.

Back then, CCI MiniMags were $2 for 100 rounds. So 2 cpr.

I could cast bullets and load .45 ACP using Bullseye for about 1.25 - 1.5 cpr. I was buying linotype for $35 per 100 pounds. Primers were 0.8 - 0.9 cents each.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yeah it’s sure some work to reload 223. But I can still kind of crank out rounds with my lee Classic turret. Anyway, most 55gr and 62gr factory loads, unless it’s a match or high quality hunting load range from 3-6MOA in my 16” AR and about 2.5-5MOA in my 20”.

But high quality ammo can run MOA or somewhat better. I am still dialing in loads, but I can crank out some 62gr, with cheap Armscor 62gr loads and get about 2.5MOA with my 16”. Haven’t tried them in my 20” yet. Pretty sure I can get it to group slightly better than that. If I want to switch to a match or higher quality FMJ I’d bet I can get it well under 2MOA without breaking much sweat.

When ammo was $260 for 1k I didn’t mind AS much that groups were big. But with ammo well over $500 for 1k. No sir. I don’t do mag dumps or just blast away. I’d rather the 40-80 rounds I usually shoot at the range actually go where I am aiming them.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Reloading now, will cost more, components if,
    1.) You can find them
    2.) Primers are crazy priced
    3.) Powder is up there in price
    4.) Bullets are up there also.
    With the current demand vs. supply some are getting stupid
    prices, check out some of the gun sell sites.
    Reloading equipment is pretty much Hit n Miss and if the
    equipment is there you may be paying more. I've seen
    some crazy prices used equipment. expect long waits on
    orders. Stuff is out there, so keep looking. Now with that
    said, reloading the "not" common rounds you will recoup
    you expenses more, the discontinued rounds, the wildcat
    cartridges, etc. Could give you a laundry list of what I load,
    some are hard to get, some no longer made, or you got to
    go to a custom shop for the ammo. Reload 22 Hornet / 17 Rem
    out to and including 50 BMG, plenty in the middle, reload for 8-9
    different rifles / platforms in 7.62, 5.56 about 4. The Contender pistols
    account for a large variety of cartridges. While I'm not saying you
    won't save money, it will take some effort to source the components
    and equipment. There is also "bots" that "scrape" sites for the stuff
    buy it, pay for it all automatically. Powdervalley put the screws to some
    of the "bot" action, making you buy something else..
    Suggestion would be check out some of the gun forums, estate
    sales, etc..
    Then you got "casting" your own bullets which can save some more money
    Making bullets from 22LR cases also works, or Pistol cases. But you are
    talking more money spent / investments. An advantage is you can tailor a
    load to a specific firearm, accuracy, etc.
    To some it's a hobby, relaxing, and to just get away...to be in your own little
    world ...as the other half calls me "cellar dweller"
    Here's a spreadsheet that will help with figuring costs, I've
    used it a lot have modified it some, but here's the one from the site.
    Good luck...and have fun

https://ballisticxlr.com/2019/01/06/freebie-reloadingxlr-an-excel-based-reloading-spreadsheet/

-Rock

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rock touches some on an idea .

For some people , the various facets of handloading are rewarding and challenging hobby/ intellectual pursuits in and of themselves . To the point that much , arguably most of the advances in the Ballistic Arts were pioneered by private experimenters , not corporate or military R&D ( and that corporate and government R&D used the amateur and small scale independent developments as starting points ) .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The guidance given is sound. I would only add one can load on a progressive press ammunition as accurate as can be made on a single stage. Only caveat is bench rest and perhaps long range rifle. The process will change..or I should say be added to...but the resultNt ammo will still give precision results.

At one time Tulammo 223 was about $4.25/box of 20. I was using my Dillon to punch out ‘nonmatch” ammo that was shooting under MOA.

Shotgun, progressives good progressives are expensive. But if I played shotgun sports regularly I would pop for a good progressive.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, components are pricey right now. But so are loaded rounds.

Even with primers at 20 - 30 cents each (or even higher), but factory fmj at 60 cents to $1 per round, reloading it still cheaper.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    One other benefit that I don't think has been mentioned is the ability to load for older/antique guns that you may not want to run modern factory ammo through. I can load a very mild round for a WW2 P38 that I occasionally want to use. Or maybe a very mild .38 special for a .357 snubby that you want to use as a range toy.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    It’s false economy to look at how much you save by reloading. But, if it makes you happy to create the illusion that you are spending less, then you have fun being you. :lol2:

I calculated the number of 9mm/.45acp/etc that it would take to pay for my Dillon 550, and it was paid for within the first 2 years, but during that time, I spent way more on reloading supplies than I would have spent on ammo. It was easier to convince the Minister of Finance that I was saving money by spending money than convincing her that buying ammo was a good idea. So, the false illusion comes from that trap that everyone I know who reloads falls into. They all still spend the same, or more money, but get to shoot more. More importantly, they get to spend less time in the company of others while reloading. :innocent0

One thing that everyone ignores when doing the savings calculations is how fast new calibers pay for themselves. It only takes about 2 boxes of decent quality rifle caliber reloads to pay for the new set of dies and shell holder for a single stage setup. It takes a couple more to pay for caliber conversion kits for the progressive. The more obscure the cartridge, the faster it pays off.

My entire stable of reloading equipment was probably paid for with reloads of .416 Remington Magnum ammo. At $80 a box of twenty for the cheap Remington green and white box crap that could be reloaded for less than $80 per hundred rounds at the quality of premium ammo, I’m able to abuse my shoulder, and the shoulder of anyone brave enough to give her a go, without $4 per round guilt.

But reloading has never saved me money. I couldn’t afford not to buy it with the savings. :lol2:

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    It’s false economy to look at how much you save by reloading. But, if it makes you happy to create the illusion that you are spending less, then you have fun being you. :lol2:

I calculated the number of 9mm/.45acp/etc that it would take to pay for my Dillon 550, and it was paid for within the first 2 years, but during that time, I spent way more on reloading supplies than I would have spent on ammo. It was easier to convince the Minister of Finance that I was saving money by spending money than convincing her that buying ammo was a good idea. So, the false illusion comes from that trap that everyone I know who reloads falls into. They all still spend the same, or more money, but get to shoot more. More importantly, they get to spend less time in the company of others while reloading. :innocent0

One thing that everyone ignores when doing the savings calculations is how fast new calibers pay for themselves. It only takes about 2 boxes of decent quality rifle caliber reloads to pay for the new set of dies and shell holder for a single stage setup. It takes a couple more to pay for caliber conversion kits for the progressive. The more obscure the cartridge, the faster it pays off.

My entire stable of reloading equipment was probably paid for with reloads of .416 Remington Magnum ammo. At $80 a box of twenty for the cheap Remington green and white box crap that could be reloaded for less than $80 per hundred rounds at the quality of premium ammo, I’m able to abuse my shoulder, and the shoulder of anyone brave enough to give her a go, without $4 per round guilt.

But reloading has never saved me money. I couldn’t afford not to buy it with the savings. :lol2:

My buddy’s expression. “I’m going broke saving money!”

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

My buddy’s expression. “I’m going broke saving money!”

Or my other favorite variation of the same theme:

I can't afford to save any more money.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re : GunBum above:

If you only/ primarily shoot calibers for which inexpensive generic ammo is commonly available , AND you are satisfied with said generic ammo , you have the least economic motivation to reload , and stacking deep of generic ammo is viable alternative .

Change either variable , and loading your own ia way ro go .

( Caveat - If you cast your own bullets , AND a source of Free wheel weights , you can save money on anything .)

May 25, 2021
    Wow, this generated a ton of responses and all good reads! I’m sure I’d end up shooting up any savings for sure. I don’t have much room to set up anything yet and don’t have any of the equipment. This was a general inquiry to let me know if it’s worth it ya know.

Esox

May 16, 2015
    In normal times, you can stock up on supplies.Then knowing you you can load as many bullets as you want or need......thats something you can't put a dollar value on

This.
    I have enough for components slowly acquired over the years and can shoot whatever I feel like anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom