• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yesterday's trip to the Westminster Walmart yielded a bonanza of regular and wide-mouth Ball lids. Got six packs of each, with plenty left behind. It also looked like they had a bunch of different jar sizes.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    You don't have that pickled heart recipe, do you? I got two to do and was going to try Bread and butter pickle brine on them if I can't find better. I was not terribly thrilled with the one I did before.

1 venison heart
    1 Head of garlic
    2 small onions
    2 quarts of cider vinegar
    1 cup of brown sugar
    2 tablespoons of seasoned salt or Old Bay
    1 tablespoon of pickling spices
    1 head of garlic, diced
    hot pepper flakes
    1/2 cup of water

Makes enough for 4 hearts or tongs

Trim off the fat cap and any vessels that didn’t get trimmed during field dressing. Simmer on the stove top for 45 minutes, avoid a rolling boil.

While the heart is cooking, place all the other ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil, stir, and remove from heat. Take the heart and rinse it under cold water. Or let it cool on a plate.

Cut the heart in quarter inch slices and clean out the little artery branches because they can be chewy.

Place the sliced heart in an appropriately sized jar, and cover with the pickling fluid. Heat in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

You can also use dill or sweet pickling spice

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Okay, where is everyone buying canning lids? There doesn't seem to be anything available except for the Chinese 100 packs on Amazon. Walmart never seems to have anything but lids with bands. It seems this might be as bad as reloading

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Okay, where is everyone buying canning lids? There doesn't seem to be anything available except for the Chinese 100 packs on Amazon. Walmart never seems to have anything but lids with bands. It seems this might be as bad as reloading

I scored Ball lids at Walmart a week or so ago, 6 boxes each of regulars and wides, just the lids. They had a couple cases of each on the shelf. Definitely hit or miss, but you can at least check Walmart’s web site to check your area stores for stock before you head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Do the Chicom lids suck? I just checked and most of the ratings seem OK...

Don't know, but the daughter wants to can and we are planting and i can't find them. Aliexpress, if I am getting chinese lids, I might as well order direct from China. I can get 40 for about $10. Most stuff would get used in a year but stuff like jellies and pawpaw butter might last several and don;t want to risk cheap lids. I tested their broadheads and was not terrible impressed.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today’s efforts yielded 9 pints of sweet & hot sandwich pickle chips.

cd52ced0451da439ed6205e538a28d80.jpg

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Last week I found a store selling 10lb boxes of sausage links for $3. Seemed like a deal I couldn't pass so I bought 2 boxes. All the freezers are full so I decided to can them. This was a first for me but I think they turned out well. Time will tell.
    I couldn't double stack them so I had to have both canners going. 1 old Kerr jar broke in the first batch and the last group has about 30 minutes left. I'll have 27 pint jars with 10-12 links in each jar when I'm done.

So a 6 month update to this:
    I've been pulling a jar every so often, including one this morning. I'm pretty pleased with the flavor but the consistency is NOT that of a just purchased sausage link. They just won't stay together and are generally soft and easily breakable.
    I've found they're more suited to cutting in small pieces and mixing into scrambled eggs with onions peppers mushrooms etc.
    When I did this I wasn't sure what to expect and was a little disappointed when they kept breaking apart on me but overall I'm pleased with the results.

Attachments

• 20210313_190634.jpg
      20210313_190634.jpg
      108 KB · Views: 192

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Got 9 half-pint jars of strawberry preserves from roughly 2.5 quarts (3+) lbs. of local strawberries this morning.
    2f40b375068f11b394b0f56e3038dda4.jpg

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Looks like delays are a month out.
    You would still get them in time for harvest. :innocent0
    I might give some a try.

I got 100 on order today. We shall see. My daughter found some Balls at Walmart and I'll probably use the Harvest guards for pressure cooking and non-staining stuff like stoganoff, soups and corn and veggies.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    So if a total novice wanted to get into canning can it be done with out buying specialty cookers etc. ? Want to dabble to see its for or not for me and don't want to throw hundreds of dollars. Thank You

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So if a total novice wanted to get into canning can it be done with out buying specialty cookers etc. ? Want to dabble to see its for or not for me and don't want to throw hundreds of dollars. Thank You

Depends what you are doing. If you do jellies and jams etc. Just need a large cooking pot and pint jars/lids/caps. Make some homemade apple butter, you wont be disapointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom