• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheVictor

Oct 30, 2020
    Carroll County
    Not sure this is the correct forum.

I have just come to own a 30 Cal Ammo Can about 3/4 full. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what it is worth? Not sure what year it is from, but has that old military smell about it. Trying to insert images below (My first images, so fingers crossed):

uWBYP2opJ539HVqp8

p4GVKPndgogtduS77

ZxnizuAWPSWJXioR9

TheVictor

Oct 30, 2020
    Carroll County
    Images as an attachment?

Will try it as an attachment.

Attachments

• small_side.jpg
      small_side.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 246
    • small_top.jpg
      small_top.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 238
    • small_belt.jpg
      small_belt.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 245

TheVictor

Oct 30, 2020
    Carroll County
    Don't have any use for it. So, probably going to sell. However, I have no idea what the value is. I hate being in that situation. Don't have the "cred" here to sell anything yet anyway!

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Is it .30-06 or .308, I'm not sure from the pic. Should be a year date on the bottom of each shell. If they are really old they could have corrosive primers.

TheVictor

Oct 30, 2020
    Carroll County
    Casing Info

Here are the end codes. Sill not sure about the caliber. Guess I need a micrometer to see?

Attachments

• strip_shells.jpg
      strip_shells.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 217
    • group_shells.jpg
      group_shells.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 215

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    You don't need a micrometer to distinguish .30-06 and .308, just an ordinary ruler to check the length.

The length looks like .30-06 to me. Also, I'm not an expert in linked rounds since I'm not fortunate enough to own anything that will feed them... but googled images seem to show that linked .308 rounds are joined closer to the base, while .30-06 are joined nearer the shoulder like these.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It’s Twin Cities .30/06, noncorrosive primed, M2 Ball being a regular FMJ loading. The M25 tracers have been removed and replaced with St. Louis M2 it shows up every five rounds. They’re on M1 links.

The St. Louis is late enough to be noncorrosive too.

Value is $1-1.25 a round.

You don't need a micrometer to distinguish .30-06 and .308, just an ordinary ruler to check the length.

The length looks like .30-06 to me. Also, I'm not an expert in linked rounds since I'm not fortunate enough to own anything that will feed them... but googled images seem to show that linked .308 rounds are joined closer to the base, while .30-06 are joined nearer the shoulder like these.

These are M1 links for Browning machine guns that pull the rounds out first and then feed them. Most 7.62 will be on M13 links for machine guns that just push them straight out of the link and into the chamber in one motion.

That should be 30 - 06 by the picture and 1952 head stamp. so likely corrosive. But I'd be interested

TW switched to noncorrosive in 1950.

TheVictor

Oct 30, 2020
    Carroll County
    Wow! Good info

It’s Twin Cities .30/06, noncorrosive primed, M2 Ball being a regular FMJ loading. The M25 tracers have been removed and replaced with St. Louis M2 it shows up every five rounds. They’re on M1 links.

The St. Louis is late enough to be noncorrosive too.

Value is $1-1.25 a round.

These are M1 links for Browning machine guns that pull the rounds out first and then feed them. Most 7.62 will be on M13 links for machine guns that just push them straight out of the link and into the chamber in one motion.

TW switched to noncorrosive in 1950.

That's more info than I expected. I underestimated the wisdom of the Forum! I am new. I will learn.

Thanks for the info!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's more info than I expected. I underestimated the wisdom of the Forum! I am new. I will learn.

Thanks for the info!

List it on CMP Forums. People are paying over $1 a round for delinked, loose Greek ammo.

I sold a 280rd can of M2 Ball that the DCM delinked and repacked into Garand clips for $340 on here earlier this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom