• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I had a branch from a dead tree fall in the wind this afternoon. I looked out briefly and thought this "white thing" was fungus that broke off. A few hours later, I looked out and it was moving.

I walked out to pick up the branch and see what it was. Looks like a barred owl to me. A lot lighter than I expected in coloring. I was able to walk within 10 ft, the owl could have cared less and was more worried about the crows calling in looking in the trees.

Owls molt yearly right? Could that be why this one looks funky/fuzzy? It should be able to fly during molting if that is really what is happening. Wondering if its injured, or maybe sitting on a kill?

Attachments

• 20210425_180935.jpg
      20210425_180935.jpg
      130.1 KB · Views: 576
    • 20210425_180946.jpg
      20210425_180946.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 576

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Not sure on the species, but it looks like a juvenile (of one of the "eared" species) that might have fallen out of the nest a bit early and cannot fly yet.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Sweet i had an adult a few years ago hanging around, they are impressive!

It's moved from the middle of the yard to just inside the wood line. My GSD found the spot instantly in the yard lol

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    We had what looked like a barred owl in our yard about two weeks ago. I had never seen one before and it was quite impressive (wasn't able to get any good pictures).

The owl was being harassed by a bunch of crows. I didn't realize that crows and owls are enemies.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    We had what looked like a barred owl in our yard about two weeks ago. I had never seen one before and it was quite impressive (wasn't able to get any good pictures).

The owl was being harassed by a bunch of crows. I didn't realize that crows and owls are enemies.

Crows and most raptors are not friendly. We watch the red tailed hawks and the occasional peregrine falcon around here do "battle" with them. Crows seems to be the a-holes of the avian world.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Its a fledgling Great Horned owl. Mom will still feed it. If you see the nest, you could grab welding gloves and a ladder and put it back. Otherwise it will hop around on the forest floor for a while. Cool pics

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I learn something new every day. Before I clicked on the thread, I had half a mind thinking autocorrect struck again and it was about

Attachments

• bardahl-logo-yb-4.jpg
      bardahl-logo-yb-4.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 232

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    That is a juvenile Great Horned Owl! Take a towel place it over him/her. Have leather gloves and thick jacket on....place in nearby tree off ground.......the feathers are fully to molt juvenile feathers. The Mom and Dad will take over at night....next morning by 12:00 it will have moved on....good luck and thank you!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    That is a juvenile Great Horned Owl! Take a towel place it over him/her. Have leather gloves and thick jacket on....place in nearby tree off ground.......the feathers are fully to molt juvenile feathers. The Mom and Dad will take over at night....next morning by 12:00 it will have moved on....good luck and thank you!

I assume the owl has moved in the last two days but I am curious about an update on ol hooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom