• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I did a solid for a dear friend who happens to be a Master Blade Smith and has been retired for many years. He did all his work with a coal forge he built.

He called me last week and said he fired up his forge one last time to make me something. He is 90 years young and not in the best of health.

Well today it arrived yup a knife. In his short note " the last blade I will ever make it is up to you to make the handle". He also made a brass guard and pommel

So I have 0ver 150 BF of 3 inch black walnut that I harvested from a tree in my yard that was struck by lightening. So I will make a walnut handle. Here is a pic of the knife he sent me.

Attachments

• blade.jpg
      blade.jpg
      213.2 KB · Views: 452

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I did a solid for a dear friend who happens to be a Master Blade Smith and has been retired for many years. He did all his work with a coal forge he built.

He called me last week and said he fired up his forge one last time to make me something. He is 90 years young and not in the best of health.

Well today it arrived yup a knife. In his short note " the last blade I will ever make it is up to you to make the handle". He also made a brass guard and pommel

So I have 0ver 150 BF of 3 inch black walnut that I harvested from a tree in my yard that was struck by lightening. So I will make a walnut handle. Here is a pic of the knife he sent me.
    That is awesome

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    That is incredible. I hope you cherish this gift for the rest of your life. You have a true friend.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I broke out some black walnut also have some Philippian mahogany maybe I will try some inlays. Measured the tang 5/16" x 3/16 thick. I have a mortis and tendon set with 5/16 " bit and will add 1/16" shims on each side to make it tight.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD

Doesn't get any better than that.

Jan 13, 2020
    I broke out some black walnut also have some Philippian mahogany maybe I will try some inlays. Measured the tang 5/16" x 3/16 thick. I have a mortis and tendon set with 5/16 " bit and will add 1/16" shims on each side to make it tight.

Very cool! What a great story to tell! Keep us updated with the finished product.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Handle Done

As requested I finished the handle to my gift, black walnut with oak inlay. Only one coat of oil now will need several additional coats

Attachments

• A Gift.jpg
      A Gift.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 175

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Knife Sheath

Well I have finished the last bit and made a leather sheath. It is adorned with Tobacco leaves and the snap is a real Buffalo Nickle.

Attachments

• 20210414_081723.jpg
      20210414_081723.jpg
      110.5 KB · Views: 142

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Awsome karma. I am in.

Seriously.though, great story and great gift. It will bring you many memories in the future. You are a lucky man.

Nobody

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom