• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm curious how you (anyone really..) are storing the filled cans. I have all my cans purchased and ready to be filled, but am holding off. I know I don't want to store in my attached garage, so my plan is to store them in my shed (no windows so no sun getting in), my concern is fluctuation in temp. It's 22 now, and in 120 days - it could be 99... Even in quality containers, I imagine there will be swelling and contracting.

My plan is to rotate on a routine basis (yet to be determined), add one of the numerous recommended fuel stabilizers, etc.. But I don't want my shed to burn up... Any suggestions?

Just storing fuel will not make it burn up.

If it catches fire, it will burn with or without the fuel stored in it.

If you are really worried, buy safety cans.

https://www.eagle-mfg.com/eagle-fea...zERwn3G-Si-PgiVZtcJaB3NAe0XBX0NwaAuZlEALw_wcB

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Ordered 10 of the 30 cal and 6 of the 50 cal , grade 1 US Military Ammo can's to store more ammo that I'm hording :D
    I got them from ammocanman.com , Great reputation and Veteran owned

Last edited:

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Scored today, brand new $50
    cc0d34d37436c39a0e99bb20a649655b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm curious how you (anyone really..) are storing the filled cans. I have all my cans purchased and ready to be filled, but am holding off. I know I don't want to store in my attached garage, so my plan is to store them in my shed (no windows so no sun getting in), my concern is fluctuation in temp. It's 22 now, and in 120 days - it could be 99... Even in quality containers, I imagine there will be swelling and contracting.

My plan is to rotate on a routine basis (yet to be determined), add one of the numerous recommended fuel stabilizers, etc.. But I don't want my shed to burn up... Any suggestions?

I have been storing 5 gallon plastic gas cans (a mix of blitz and midwest brands) in an outdoor shed here in MD for almost 20 years. At first it was just 1 or 2 for the mowers and chainsaw, after buying a generator a little over 10 years ago that number went up to 5.

If there is enough air space in the can (low fuel level) and the temperature drops considerably, the sides will be pushed in a bit. If it is capped when the temp is colder and it gets warm, it will swell.

The only thing to worry about is not opening the spout with the can tipped if it is swollen/pressurized a bit, because the gas will flow out, sometimes quickly. I burp it first with the can upright using the large cap (the ring holding the spout).

If the can collapses because of low temps and does't pop back on its own when you open it, after the can is empty cap it and set it in a warmer area or put it in the sun for a bit. The pressure increase will help it recover its former shape.

Keeping them near full will minimize the expansion and contraction, temperature affects gases far more than fluids in that respect.

As long as you're not doing something foolish like opening a pressurized can near an open flame, or using a grinder near an open can, none of this is a real issue. People have been storing gas cans in outdoor sheds for longer than I've been alive, and there is no epidemic of spontaneous shed combustion that I've heard of. Treat them with respect and caution and you'll be fine.

I store gas as Bullfrog has mentioned above. One other step that I do; is not completely tighten the cap down. This allows for venting of the plastic fuel cans and you don't have to worry about them swelling in the summer. Minimal loss of fuel due to venting. All 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs get half a pint of Seafoam added to them.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I store gas as Bullfrog has mentioned above. One other step that I do; is not completely tighten the cap down. This allows for venting of the plastic fuel cans and you don't have to worry about them swelling in the summer. Minimal loss of fuel due to venting. All 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs get half a pint of Seafoam added to them.

Minimal loss, but what you lose is the component that makes starting easier. Not good because there is so much less of it in current street gas made for closed loop fuel injected cars.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Good luck.

I have 6ish feet then impermeable rock. test drilled about 100 holes.

Lol yeah that may cause problems.

I’ve got soil and clay but i planted a bunch of River birch behind my house and have some large white oaks so my biggest obstacle would be roots.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    U-Line Shelving for the basement (with extra shelves).

Not so much as a prep item but more as a place to store food, toiletries and paper products that we always seem to be running out of.

My plan is to go to BJ's and fill the truck and load up on crap so we don't have to go shopping every damned week.

Briefly looked at Lowes & Home Depot shelving but was unimpressed. With Uline stuff it's buy once; cry once.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.37.56 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 12.37.56 PM.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 189

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    U-Line Shelving for the basement (with extra shelves).

Not so much as a prep item but more as a place to store food, toiletries and paper products that we always seem to be running out of.

My plan is to go to BJ's and fill the truck and load up on crap so we don't have to go shopping every damned week.

Briefly looked at Lowes & Home Depot shelving but was unimpressed. With Uline stuff it's buy once; cry once.
    I prefer the wire metal shelving. 4 to 5 shelves that you can adjust for different heights.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I prefer the wire metal shelving. 4 to 5 shelves that you can adjust for different heights.

You can adjust these anyway you like and add additional shelves for an added cost.

Mine will look like the one in the picture except I added three additional shelves so it will have six counting the base and top shelf.

Uline also makes wire shelving.

I setup my entire garage with Uline stuff. Great company and the quality is heads and shoulders above anything you will find at a big box store. Very sturdy - warehouse type stuff.

The downside is all their stuff is shipped via freight and the shipping can get expensive.

This is some of their shelving in the garage - charter boat supplies. I left them about 6” apart because there is an electrical outlet between them

Attachments

• 8643C23B-AAA0-4A90-9DED-F8B849502EB4.jpg
      8643C23B-AAA0-4A90-9DED-F8B849502EB4.jpg
      120.2 KB · Views: 171

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    You can adjust these anyway you like and add additional shelves for an added cost.

Mine will look like the one in the picture except I added three additional shelves so it will have six counting the base and top shelf.

Uline also makes wire shelving.

I setup my entire garage with Uline stuff. Great company and the quality is heads and shoulders above anything you will find at a big box store. Very sturdy - warehouse type stuff.

The downside is all their stuff is shipped via freight and the shipping can get expensive.

This is some of their shelving in the garage - charter boat supplies. I left them about 6” apart because there is an electrical outlet between them
    Looks good, freight cost is a bit to stomach. Ive found several solid wire metal racks on fb marketplace. They might only hold 300 lbs per shelf but it is sufficient for my purposes. Not needed squarebody parts, moto oil, toilet paper etc.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Looks good, freight cost is a bit to stomach. Ive found several solid wire metal racks on fb marketplace. They might only hold 300 lbs per shelf but it is sufficient for my purposes. Not needed squarebody parts, moto oil, toilet paper etc.

Thanks.

I never thought to look on FB Market place or Craigslist. Good idea.

I was just back in Southern Illinois and there was a JC Penneys going out of business - they were selling all their shelving, lights, display racks and so forth. I just didn't have the time or energy to cart all I wanted back here to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom