What's the Latest and Greatest in Home Emergency/Flash Lights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm looking for two types of emergency home lighting. We are somewhat lacking in both categories in the modern sense. I've always relied on my ability to make do with less, but now I'm getting up there in years, it's time to modernize.

I want American made.

I want stand alone lantern type(s) as well as functional handheld flashlights.

Do I want rechargeable or do I want battery dependent? Or can they be both? What's out there?

ETA: If anyone knows of an ongoing thread, please direct me to it. I had no luck with a search.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Costco has some good plug in emergency wall torches. I like the LED lanterns as well. They last for years and still crank up whenever I needed them. I think the lanterns are in Costco as well.

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    Thought about headlamps too? I won't vouch for mine because I don't like the button, but I use it so much around the house (repairs, plumbing, just looking for stuff), and think it would be essential for emergency use.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've been buying these for flashlights:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z3N9XU2

I keep one in each coat or jacket. I buy the disposable battery type because I've got a shit-ton of stuff charging now and if I find the batteries are weak I can just throw in new ones or better yet, replace them beforehand if I think I'm going to need them,

No. They are not "tactical" that is, burn your retinas from 100yards but they are plenty bright with a CREE type LED and so well built I bet I could roll over one with my truck and it would still work. They weigh more because they are steel.

I seem to recall the ones I first got were made in the US but I can't find where they're made on their website. I'll still buy them though.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    most any decently made LED with lithium rechargeable batteries, can be stupid bright and extremely efficient, they can hold a charge for years in storage, and are about the best technology has to offer. I like Olight for a decent EDC or utility light for the house or car, they use a magnetic charger lead that just snaps onto the tailcap and charges up quick, it also allows the lights to stick to anything metal to light up an area. They are decently well made, and can be a good deal with regular flash sales. Something like an S2R baton uses a 18650 battery, 1150lm(brighter than a car headlight) for a few minutes or lower brightness levels that can last for days. It's more powerful, and can last a little longer at the same brightness as the old 6D maglites, but is under 4" long and 4oz. For around the house there are a couple ways to go, cheap bulk-packs have their place, but I like to use the light modules for my Li powered tools. I have a pile of Milwaukee M12 and Ridgid 18V batteries, they last forever in a light, and can recharge in a couple minutes. The light modules are relatively cheap and built pretty well, far better than most lights. Easy enough to use my EDC light to grab a couple M12 light modules and batteries and set them around the house, at least till I get the generator running.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you want US made check Maglite and Surefire. There may be others but I'm not aware of them.

Maglite makes some great rechargeable ones which are always ready. Sign up for their email as they have sales going on a lot.

I also like the Maglite as it is larger and seems to fit my use better. Surefire makes great lights but at times are almost too small, and $$.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Thought about headlamps too? I won't vouch for mine because I don't like the button, but I use it so much around the house (repairs, plumbing, just looking for stuff), and think it would be essential for emergency use.

This. Great for power outages when you need to get the Genny started or transfer load at the panel.

I'd get one that'll take both lithium rechargeable and AA batteries. Use lithium until it runs out, then AAs for backup.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Different sized maglites and also picked up a couple of these. Three settings and works great.

Attachments

• 0C07191F-9FF4-404F-B2C3-863580A4E893.jpg
      0C07191F-9FF4-404F-B2C3-863580A4E893.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 651

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup. Have a couple of Petzls :thumbsup:
    Oops! Looks like they got away...

Different sized maglites and also picked up a couple of these. Three settings and works great.
    I grabbed a couple of those as well as a two-fer LED rechargeable hand held flash lights(probably made in Cheena:cool:). Thanks for your recommendations guys. I appreciate your thoughts.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Since I have standardized on Dewalt 20vmax tools and have a ton of batteries, I've bought a few DCLO44's LED lights. 360 pointing, belt clip, mounting stand etc. Very nice lights. YMMV

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not US made, but as noted above Milwaukee's M18 and M12 work lights are great, especially if you already have any of the batteries.

For US made flashlights, as was also noted up thread, Maglite and Surefire both make high quality stuff here still. Be warned a lot of the Surefire lights use CR123 batteries which are not as readily available.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not US made, but as noted above Milwaukee's M18 and M12 work lights are great, especially if you already have any of the batteries.

For US made flashlights, as was also noted up thread, Maglite and Surefire both make high quality stuff here still. Be warned a lot of the Surefire lights use CR123 batteries which are not as readily available.
    Yup. I use a few Surefires in the field. Great for blood trailing in the dark. The run time is what kills ya though.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I've got a couple of "high end", small flashlights. I think one's a SureFire and one's a StreamLight. They're great for lighting up something you wanna see that's more than 5' away but if you're needing to see any detail up close they're so freaking bright that the reflected light practically blinds you. :lol2:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We have carried these on our trucks for years now since the old lantern style battery hand lights began to fade away. The can be found on nearly every utility co truck in the country and fire rescue eq as well.
    They should come with a shoulder strap, charging station that can be used to wall/vehicle mount with both 12v and 110ac adapter for however you want to power or maintain it.
    They make one model that the light turns on when its in its cradle for no light/emergency building locations, different colors spot flood LED etc.
    They are not the best not the worst but are used none the less in industrial applications/safety applications every day all over the country to the point where they are like standard go-to equipment especially in the utility industry.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/e-spot-litebox

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom