• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I agree. The entire reason I got my license was mostly due to buying my first UV5R and realizing there was so much that I couldn’t legally do with it.

Same here. Without that cheap inexpensive radio, I would probably never have known anything about ham radio and the fun it is.

I have an Anytone AT-D878UV on the way and am pulling out my hair in a fun way getting a grasp on DMR. Seems I’ll need a hotspot to get the most out of it. Have had EchoLink for a few weeks and have my DMR ID set. Just need the radio to start toying around.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Does anyone in Carroll County play with DMR and/or APRS? I'm not having positive results, but it could be I'm too far from anything.

I thought for APRS for example I'd see the traffic (callsigns), but nothing. I hear the analog traffic on 144.390, but my radio won't decode it.

I can see why folks say new techs should stay away from DRM for their first radio. Thankfully, this is my 2nd. :D

Would anyone be willing to verify my setup? I can post screenshots. This is for an Anytone D878UV.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Does anyone in Carroll County play with DMR and/or APRS? I'm not having positive results, but it could be I'm too far from anything.

I thought for APRS for example I'd see the traffic (callsigns), but nothing. I hear the analog traffic on 144.390, but my radio won't decode it.

I can see why folks say new techs should stay away from DRM for their first radio. Thankfully, this is my 2nd. :D

Would anyone be willing to verify my setup? I can post screenshots. This is for an Anytone D878UV.

I wish I could help out. I was never able to program my DMR radio to make any successful contacts. In my case I brought a radio that was not very popular and I have not found much support online in developing a code plug.

I mostly use Fusion digital mode. It’s really simple. You tune to a Fusion repeater, choose your room and go.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I wish I could help out. I was never able to program my DMR radio to make any successful contacts. In my case I brought a radio that was not very popular and I have not found much support online in developing a code plug.

I mostly use Fusion digital mode. It’s really simple. You tune to a Fusion repeater, choose your room and go.

DMR seems to be the IKEA of digital radio.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Got aforementioned buddy up and running a few weeks ago, and thought maybe I'd try to improve my own antenna situation in the short term. Pulled up a 135 foot wire that promptly got torn down in the snow/ice. Got it back up yesterday, and fired up the shack.

I'm using a 7300 with the filtered RF split, and half going to an RTL-SDR to run HDSDR for watching the band and tuning. Expecting an improvement, I find I am now looking at a veritable spur factory.

Switching the old wire back to the AH-4, the problem is pretty much gone. Definitely worse with the new, longer wire. Also only happens when I'm splitting the RF output. Pull off the RTL-SDR, and its gone. The winning combination is the new wire and the RTL-SDR. Looks like a porcupine.

I have some ideas, but they are mostly theories.

Bummed!

That's crazy man! So periodic. If you haven't mentioned the differences in the antenna's, I would have blamed the software transforms. Is the new wire running basically the same path as the old? You're tapping the IF out of the 7300?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

In my case, I had to explicitly enable the APRS modem (which defaulted to off), and then also enable alerts to announced decoded transmissions.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Same here. Without that cheap inexpensive radio, I would probably never have known anything about ham radio and the fun it is.

I have an Anytone AT-D878UV on the way and am pulling out my hair in a fun way getting a grasp on DMR. Seems I’ll need a hotspot to get the most out of it. Have had EchoLink for a few weeks and have my DMR ID set. Just need the radio to start toying around.

I am not on DMR nor in Carroll County but my elmer is.

PM me your callsign and I'll forward it to him and he can help you.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Got aforementioned buddy up and running a few weeks ago, and thought maybe I'd try to improve my own antenna situation in the short term. Pulled up a 135 foot wire that promptly got torn down in the snow/ice. Got it back up yesterday, and fired up the shack.

I'm using a 7300 with the filtered RF split, and half going to an RTL-SDR to run HDSDR for watching the band and tuning. Expecting an improvement, I find I am now looking at a veritable spur factory.

Switching the old wire back to the AH-4, the problem is pretty much gone. Definitely worse with the new, longer wire. Also only happens when I'm splitting the RF output. Pull off the RTL-SDR, and its gone. The winning combination is the new wire and the RTL-SDR. Looks like a porcupine.

I have some ideas, but they are mostly theories.

Bummed!

I have an RTL-SDR tapping the IF on my 991A and I have some consistent band spikes through all bands. In my specific case I understand this is an internal ghost image specific to the IF tap. It does not occur when I connect the RTL-SDR directly to the antenna.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    In my case, I had to explicitly enable the APRS modem (which defaulted to off), and then also enable alerts to announced decoded transmissions.

I think I have everything enabled from what I've seen in a bunch of videos. I'll double-check.

I am not on DMR nor in Carroll County but my elmer is.

PM me your callsign and I'll forward it to him and he can help you.

I think I have the DMR part done. I heard some conversation today from a repeater in Woodbine on the Maryland or Mid-Atlantic TG (don't remember which), but it kept dropping. I think I'm just in a bad place for any DMR-enabled repeater. The closest repeaters are set up for Fusion.

I think once the wallet recovers from fun expenses like furnace repair, I'll get a hotspot.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    That's crazy man! So periodic. If you haven't mentioned the differences in the antenna's, I would have blamed the software transforms. Is the new wire running basically the same path as the old? You're tapping the IF out of the 7300?

Yeah its like perfect 5Khz everywhere. I'm still not sure why its so pronounced with the longer antenna, although the longer antenna does run 'through the tree' a bit where the other one doesn't (not kosher but plenty of people out there running the same way).

I'm tapping/splitting the 7300 direct RF and sending it to the RTL-SDR. The more I messed with it, the more it seems like the 7300 is overdriving the RTL-SDR. A kit of SMA pads arrived from Amazon on Monday and I put in 30 db between the radio and the RTL-SDR, which helped considerably.

The thing is, why wasn't I seeing this before? If it was that overdriven (30db), I should have seen it much more pronounced before.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So I got a call this morning from a good friend who was on eastbound 7 in Loudon County, climbing one of the big hills just before the Appalachian Trail crossing, and his new (<7k miles!) Nissan truck's clutch flamed out. Barely got over onto the shoulder and called AAA for a tow. They said they could tow, but couldn't take any passengers or their gear (including several bagged firearms, in this case). So he needed a rescue run. It's about 45 minutes from me to that spot, so off I went.

Turned on the mobile rig's APRS beacon feature set to TX every 30 seconds, and then TXTed him a link to APRS.FI and told him to search/filter for my call. That way he and his wife could track my progress to their position. Worked like a charm! Gave them some nerdy fun to distract while they sat chilling (literally) on the side of the highway. So that wasn't a life or death use of that tool, but it worked with very little coaching to get someone with no familiarity to be able to see where I was, and what vector I was on. Good practice!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    So I got a call this morning from a good friend who was on eastbound 7 in Loudon County, climbing one of the big hills just before the Appalachian Trail crossing, and his new (&lt;7k miles!) Nissan truck's clutch flamed out. Barely got over onto the shoulder and called AAA for a tow. They said they could tow, but couldn't take any passengers or their gear (including several bagged firearms, in this case). So he needed a rescue run. It's about 45 minutes from me to that spot, so off I went.

Turned on the mobile rig's APRS beacon feature set to TX every 30 seconds, and then TXTed him a link to APRS.FI and told him to search/filter for my call. That way he and his wife could track my progress to the their position. Worked like a charm! Gave them some nerdy fun to distract while they sat chilling (literally) on the side of the highway. So that wasn't a life or death use of that tool, but it worked with very little coaching to get someone with no familiarity to be able to see where I was, and what vector I was on. Good practice!

That’s a good story. I never thought to do that, but I’ll keep that in mind for some future need.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So I got a call this morning from a good friend who was on eastbound 7 in Loudon County, climbing one of the big hills just before the Appalachian Trail crossing, and his new (<7k miles!) Nissan truck's clutch flamed out. Barely got over onto the shoulder and called AAA for a tow. They said they could tow, but couldn't take any passengers or their gear (including several bagged firearms, in this case). So he needed a rescue run. It's about 45 minutes from me to that spot, so off I went.

Turned on the mobile rig's APRS beacon feature set to TX every 30 seconds, and then TXTed him a link to APRS.FI and told him to search/filter for my call. That way he and his wife could track my progress to their position. Worked like a charm! Gave them some nerdy fun to distract while they sat chilling (literally) on the side of the highway. So that wasn't a life or death use of that tool, but it worked with very little coaching to get someone with no familiarity to be able to see where I was, and what vector I was on. Good practice!

That’s a good story. I never thought to do that, but I’ll keep that in mind for some future need.

That's probably the only thing I'd actually use APRS for.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Gouge

(U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard – particularly aviation) Informal information channel; the grapevine; the straight dope; inside information. Gouge is passed on by the gouge train. 'Gouge' fits better on the web page than any of the synonyms above. You can get bad gouge, but this is good gouge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I think I have DMR figured out. I get folks recorded in teh call log, but only 2 have actually spoken today. The rest just connect (kerchunk the PTT) and that's enough for us to get their info. Digi Mon is pretty neat.

That's a good use and I'll have to think about trying it with someone. I've toyed with it enough to know it's only as good as someone with an appropriate receiver can hear the signal. From my home, I have to go upstairs for the closest guy (a few miles away) to send it to the aprs.fi gods.

That's probably the only thing I'd actually use APRS for.

That and hiking in an area with no cell service maybe.

Gouge

(U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard – particularly aviation) Informal information channel; the grapevine; the straight dope; inside information. Gouge is passed on by the gouge train. 'Gouge' fits better on the web page than any of the synonyms above. You can get bad gouge, but this is good gouge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're asking for info about the 878, anything in particular? It's what I got in my paws last Monday. Took me this long to really figure out DMR. Doesn't help that I can hit exactly 1 DMR repeater from home. But I love this radio. Well worth the money if you go the DMR route vs Fusion or D-STAR.

I'm definitely going to get a hotspot.

I'm convinced DMR was created by a masochist who likes to make snuff films.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom