• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Do tubs get much use these days? We never use our jacuzzi tub that came with the house and often thought about ripping it out to get more counter space. When redoing a master bath would lack of tub hurt resale? Up our way for recommendations... Allgood Contracting or JABS LLC.

Generally speaking, as long as you have one tub in the house you’re fine. Most of my clients ditch the tub in the Master bath and do a larger shower and/or vanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My house never had a tub in the master bath.

I did the master bath a few years ago. Contractor underbid the work and made up for it with changes and not paying materials bills that were supposed to be included.

I am looking to do the other bath. I want one of the deep soaker tubs. Possibly jetting. Walls and floors are OK, but dated. Need cabinets and new sink and toilet.

If you know of anyone that works in Harford County, let me know.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    We are refreshing, rather than totally remodeling, our master bath. Our contractor is a small (he's short) independent guy who did our kitchen and living room over the past two years, and is a total craftsman. He's also a personal friend.

His original quote to totally remodel our master bath was about $8K which included ripping out and replacing the shower enclosure, commode, vanity, sink, light fixture, floor, necessary sheetrock & re-plumbing, and painting walls and ceiling. The S.U. recoiled at that number, so we asked him for a do-over but leaving the shower enclosure in place. The new number is a mere $3K. That will not only pacify SWMBO, but allow me to buy a new electric brewing system without stressing the family budget.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    We are looking to redo our master bathroom and guest bathroom full gut. Our master bathroom we are looking for something upscale but not as nice for the guest bathroom. We got a quote from a well-known bath and tile company which was outrageous.

We live in 20904 and are looking for good quality recommendations. If you are interested, please private message me.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    We are refreshing, rather than totally remodeling, our master bath. Our contractor is a small (he's short) independent guy who did our kitchen and living room over the past two years, and is a total craftsman. He's also a personal friend.

His original quote to totally remodel our master bath was about $8K which included ripping out and replacing the shower enclosure, commode, vanity, sink, light fixture, floor, necessary sheetrock & re-plumbing, and painting walls and ceiling. The S.U. recoiled at that number, so we asked him for a do-over but leaving the shower enclosure in place. The new number is a mere $3K. That will not only pacify SWMBO, but allow me to buy a new electric brewing system without stressing the family budget.

I dont know what size your MB is, but if he is replacing everything else without taking down to studs, he aint making much on it. He might just be charging for materials. I just dropped 500 on tile materials alone for a secondary 5x7 bathroom. All I did was update the tile. I pulled everything up and put it all back in. Took me 7 days to complete.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****Wow. That is remarkably inexpensive, even at 8k. Even with cheap everything, the material costs on that project for an average sized bathroom does not leave much left over for labor and other costs. Your contractor is doing you a favor.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I dont know what size your MB is, but if he is replacing everything else without taking down to studs, he aint making much on it. He might just be charging for materials. I just dropped 500 on tile materials alone for a secondary 5x7 bathroom. All I did was update the tile. I pulled everything up and put it all back in. Took me 7 days to complete.

It's actually a pretty small bathroom, similar in size to yours. We will buy a box or two of floor tiles, and pick out and purchase matching sink and light fixtures. I think the price he quoted includes everything else. He's thinking it will be a 4-day job for him.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    We just finished a master bathroom. Room is 10'x12'. Has a double vanity with quartz countertop, toilet and walk in shower that is full tile. We did all the work ourselves, but had the cabinets and coutertop installed by the places we ordered them from. We used tongue and groove boards on the ceiling and tiled the floor. We have a good $10K invested in it. If we had to pay someone to do that, I'm sure it would been $25-30K. Prices of materials has sky rocketed in the last 9 months as well.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    Contractor here. I specialize in kitchens and bathrooms. A full on master bath reno with gutting to studs/joists, custom tiled walk in shower, tile floor, mid grade vanity, etc., starts at $15k for small footprint bathroom, and can go up to $25k depending on size, level of finish, etc.

A basic bathroom with a standard bathtub, 30" vanity, etc., is in the $10k-$12k range.

There is a whole lot of physical work involved, and a ton of know-how to build one properly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Will he work in Harford?

If so, PM me his contact info.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Contractor here. I specialize in kitchens and bathrooms. A full on master bath reno with gutting to studs/joists, custom tiled walk in shower, tile floor, mid grade vanity, etc., starts at $15k for small footprint bathroom, and can go up to $25k depending on size, level of finish, etc.

A basic bathroom with a standard bathtub, 30" vanity, etc., is in the $10k-$12k range.

There is a whole lot of physical work involved, and a ton of know-how to build one properly.

PM me your contact info.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    My house never had a tub in the master bath.

I did the master bath a few years ago. Contractor underbid the work and made up for it with changes and not paying materials bills that were supposed to be included.

I am looking to do the other bath. I want one of the deep soaker tubs. Possibly jetting. Walls and floors are OK, but dated. Need cabinets and new sink and toilet.

If you know of anyone that works in Harford County, let me know.

A couple of houses ago, I put in a nice soaker tub, and no one used it :). Last house had an oversized jetted tub in master, and one daughter used it a few times.

I’m breaking ground in 8 weeks for my new house. My master will not have a tub, but has a huge walk-in shower. I told the builder that I will do the custom shower and all floors on the house.

5931149bf23a38fca03eda51447375ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

8K is SUPER low. A full Master bath normally runs 15K and up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A couple of houses ago, I put in a nice soaker tub, and no one used it :). Last house had an oversized jetted tub in master, and one daughter used it a few times.

I’m breaking ground in 8 weeks for my new house. My master will not have a tub, but has a huge walk-in shower. I told the builder that I will do the custom shower and all floors on the house.

My master bath has a nice large walk in shower. And that is primary.

But I do like to soak in a tub every so often. And even more fun with someone to join you. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

My master bath has a nice large walk in shower. And that is primary.

But I do like to soak in a tub every so often. And even more fun with someone to join you. :D

The current tub in that bathroom is a 1960ish one that is about 4 inches deep. :D

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Hey guys I’m looking for someone to redo a bathroom in Towson. PM me if you are a contractor.

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    I had 2 small ones redone with really nice tile in stand up showers and everything torn down $10K each.
    This was our old house and 6 years ago.
    Master bath with 2 sinks and a shower that had high end tile that looked like a Roman Bath was almost $20K
    This was around Laurel so I'd hope being further out, your going to be doing better on prices.

Almost 15 years ago I redid a kids bathroom and hired everyone separately. I had a plumber install the tub, hired tile people and put in the Cabinets and mirror myself. I purchased all materials. Spend less than $1000 for the tile labor and plumber for the new tub get more info about them here. I don't recall how much materials were.
    Hello!!! I'm on the lookout for a reliable company for bathroom remodeling. What do you think is important to consider when choosing a contractor? What criteria will help me decide on a choice and avoid potential problems during the renovation process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom