• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Sounds more and more to me like a Model 59A - it was cloned and sold by Savage, Springfield, Western Field (we had two - the Springfield jammed all the time but the Western Field was pretty slick until it got really dirty.)
    and probably a couple of others.

12761748_3.jpg

western%207.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Western field could be it , the pics above have a round bolt mine was flat

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Remington Nylon 66? Black or brown plastic furnature?

It was the first real gun I shot as a kid in the mid60’s, and a few years ago I found a NIB perfect rifle dating to ~1967 that I added to my collection.

Nylon 66 mag tube is in butt stock, not under the barrel

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If Welder remembers Springfield , that is significant . Springfield was the "value line" of Savage . In the era when genuine Savage would typically have walnut ,Springfield would have " stained hardwood ",metal with matte finish instead of gloss ,etc .

Not a House Brand per se , they were primarily sold thru mass markets like Sears, Western Auto , maybe Hardware distribution networks like Service Star , when guns used to be staples at hardware stores . Sold in large lots to mass markets priced to sell for less than the actual Savage equivalent sold at LGS , and distributed by traditional gun distributors .

( For reference , my first purchased new shotgun was a Springfield purchased from Zayre's in more or less that era .)

Hopefully someone will chime in with the 1970's lineup of Savage tube fed .22lr autoloaders. If not , I'll dig in later this evening .

Lots of .22 Rimfire in that era were sold as a package deal with a cheap 4x15 fixed 4X 3/4 or 7/8 inch tube scope . Most of them were imports with random brand names .

When the combo's were on sale , they sold for about the same as the regular priced gun w /o scope . And that's about what they were worth . A significant percentage of those scopes were thrown away either before first firing , or shortly afterwards .

Some of were out and out junk , and the buyers quickly either upgraded to better scope , or decided the Iron Sights were better option . ( I'm not picking on fixed 4X per se . I'm outspoken fan and advocate of fixed power scopes generally , and 4X is a very suitable magnification for this use . I mean the optical quality was total crap and/ or the internal adjustment mechanisms were crap ) .

To purposefully recreate the experience today , Tasco ( and I think Barska ) still make 4X small dia tube " .22 scope .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Didn't sear sell JC higgins too?

Higgins was before Ted Williams I think, I owned one a pos bolt action 12 gauge that an uncle gave me. Sears, Monkeys, Western Auto all pooled from lower end Mossbergs and Savage generally.
    Williams retired circa 1960 so Sears contracted him since he was a well known big sportsman.... especially fishing.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked up a Glenfield a couple of years ago for $60. It has the squirrel stock. They pop up in gun stores every once in a while, usually for little money.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Mom bought me a springfield/stevens tube loading semi-auto in the late '60s. Would shoot shorts, longs, and Long rifle. Got it at the hardware store. I can't recall a model# for it. I have seen some listed when I would do an internet search for it so some may still be around.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    After looking at some pics , i am thinking it had a scope on it as well . Does anyone know where i could buy a Marlin 60 Glenfield or similar . I want an old model hopefully i would be able to buy the large capacity

Mag limit does not apply to tubular mag .22s

(a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; ...

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or
    8 transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Lots on GunBroker - https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Rifles/search?Keywords=marlin .22&Sort=13&PageSize=24

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    The more and more i search it is the Marlin Glenfield 60 everything about it bolt slide that is flat and curved , In one article it was a gun of choice for shooting clubs or associations to get kids to shoot . I am sure my Dad ask the salesperson what would be a good gun for a kid .

For some reason i could not open an account on GunBroker but will try again when i get home . I am 99% sure that is the gun i do believe it had the Tasco scope on it as well . I will keep trying to massage my brain for a more clear picture .

It looks like it will cost about 250.00 to 350.00 depending on seller . I am fairly sure this rifle in the 70's was maybe 60.00 at best . Not talking about huge dollars , just one of those things for me i need to get .

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I am 99% sure that is the gun i do believe it had the Tasco scope on it as well . I will keep trying to massage my brain for a more clear picture .

I received my Marlin Glenfield bolt action for Christmas sometime in the early seventies I believe. Dad got it from Montgomery Wards or Sears I'm sure. It came with a Tasco scope. The scope has long since been replaced but the rifle still has pride of place among my small collection-- It was my first "real" rifle. unlike yours...mine has a seven round magazines.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The more and more i search it is the Marlin Glenfield 60 everything about it bolt slide that is flat and curved , In one article it was a gun of choice for shooting clubs or associations to get kids to shoot . I am sure my Dad ask the salesperson what would be a good gun for a kid .

For some reason i could not open an account on GunBroker but will try again when i get home . I am 99% sure that is the gun i do believe it had the Tasco scope on it as well . I will keep trying to massage my brain for a more clear picture .

It looks like it will cost about 250.00 to 350.00 depending on seller . I am fairly sure this rifle in the 70's was maybe 60.00 at best . Not talking about huge dollars , just one of those things for me i need to get .

My Father bought me a Glenfield Model 60 from Kmart probabl around 1974-75, It came with a 4x Kmart scope and I think he paid $39 for it. Still have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom