Should I sand and refinish my 1945 lee enfield #4 mk1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Warm soap and water with a moderately stiff bristle brush for hard to move extra grimy areas. A medium scotch brite pad. Go easy, don't submerge the wood and wipe the crud off with some paper towels as it migrates off the stock.

If you could get the butt stock off that would make the whole thing easier to manage. Remove the fore stock by tapping down on with a rubber mallet or hardwood drift made form a dowel just in front of the butt stock socket. There will be a little ledge either side of the action body on the sides. Couple light raps will allow removal. Dont pull off by rotating the front of the fore stock downwards. That will/can cause damage to the bearing points.

Use penetrating oil on the butt stock bolt that is accessed through the trap at the rear of the stock. You'll need a stout common screw driver long enough to reach the bolt. Use penetrating oil at the front of the screw where it comes through the wrist socket. Sometimes there is a leather washer on top of the head of the bolt. Fish it out with a piece of thin wire and save it if you can.

Once its all clean I would flood the internal of the wood parts with boiled linseed oil to restore some lubricity to the wood fibers. It looks pretty dry and would probably drink it right up. (looks like its spent time on Africa)

Theirs a whole bunch of other things you can do to inspect, safety check clean and tidy up the appearance of your rifle if you wish.
    A no 4 is a good milsurp rifle to go over and bring back to fighting shape. A strange mix of simple and complexities that make them interesting to fiddle with.

Sounds good! I’ll start with the warm water and brush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Before you start putting stuff on and brushing it I’d try putting it in the sun or somewhere warm, or even in the oven on a low temperature and just let it sweat out naturally and wipe it off. Just a suggestion it’s worked well on mine that felt greasy.

Glad you decided not to do anything drastic it’s a nice looking rifle, I’d take one like that over a pristine looking refinished example any day

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Before you start putting stuff on and brushing it I’d try putting it in the sun or somewhere warm, or even in the oven on a low temperature and just let it sweat out naturally and wipe it off. Just a suggestion it’s worked well on mine that felt greasy.

Glad you decided not to do anything drastic it’s a nice looking rifle, I’d take one like that over a pristine looking refinished example any day

Ya and the worst looking metal in it is right at the muzzle and the brass butt plate so I’m very very happy about that

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    What I see on this rifle is the big "Ishy screw" in front of the action in the fore end. As far as I know that was only done in India or perhaps Pakistan. I believe it spent time either in India or Pakistan and I would think more likely Pakistan because the Indians usually had their own made #1MKIIIs to use although I have seen photos of both rifles in hands of India troops/police. Through Africa, maybe, but India/Pakistan I'm pretty certain of.
    As far as repairs and cleaning Mr. D. Overboard gives good advice and I would follow his ideas first.
    Still trying to research the manufacturer of the rifle as to which factory it came from originally.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    What I see on this rifle is the big "Ishy screw" in front of the action in the fore end. As far as I know that was only done in India or perhaps Pakistan. I believe it spent time either in India or Pakistan and I would think more likely Pakistan because the Indians usually had their own made #1MKIIIs to use although I have seen photos of both rifles in hands of India troops/police. Through Africa, maybe, but India/Pakistan I'm pretty certain of.
    As far as repairs and cleaning Mr. D. Overboard gives good advice and I would follow his ideas first.
    Still trying to research the manufacturer of the rifle as to which factory it came from originally.

Is that the screw on the left side of the receiver?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Is that the screw on the left side of the receiver?

The screw that goes through the wood of the fore end in front of the receiver.
    The Indians thought/believed this would strengthen the fore end and prevent splits in the fore end. They did it to all their manufactured rifles from Ishapore and any that they purchased from other nations.

If I understand what you are asking about, the screw on the left side of the receiver is the ejector screw.

Last edited:

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I haven’t clean the wood off yet but I was itching to take it to the range, so I did. Unfortunately the head space is definitely off (I didn’t have a head space gauge so I just crossed my fingers) and it looks like I need to get a new bolt head. I only fired two rounds through it.
    4723c287b4e5816887fab90ae513ce32.jpg

c451e0071d6cf08be2464b98f463c795.jpg

13908c42a6554229ed6e5421a9cc0ddb.jpg

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Couple of questions...Does the number on the back of the bolt handle match the receiver number? What number is on the bolt head (0,1,2 or 3)?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Crap...I was worried when I saw the hollow bolt handle. They were made for the #5s. As far as I know #3 is the largest bolt head for the adjustment of headspace.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    If it were mine I would take it to a gunsmith who was familiar with the lee-enfield system and hope he can find a way to make it safer. You may be able to check the size of the head with a micrometer and it may be worn and shorter than it should be, but I haven't tried to order parts for a Lee in years and have no idea what is still available out there.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    However far those primers are protruding from the case, + however less the rims are of those federal cartridges are from spec, is about much headspace you have.
    They, the (rims) could only measure from somewhere from .057-.061
    .060-.062 would be a good number for in spec cartridges.
    Carefully polish the chamber walls then try some HXP, MEN or PRVI ammo and see if the primer protrusion problem from the cases goes away.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    However far those primers are protruding from the case, + however less the rims are of those federal cartridges are from spec, is about much headspace you have.
    They, the (rims) could only measure from somewhere from .057-.061
    .060-.062 would be a good number for in spec cartridges.
    Carefully polish the chamber walls then try some HXP, MEN or PRVI ammo and see if the primer protrusion problem from the cases goes away.

If only I could find other ammo for it

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Bolt heads come in various sizes, are usually numbered but have overlapping dimensions.
    You could have a "0" bolt head that is actually longer than a 1 and so on from 0-3.
    They need to be fit to the rifle in a way that allows the bolt to not close on a .074 gauge.
    Even then a bolt that does not close on a .074 gauge, that is fit incorrectly can beat either the face of the bolt sleeve, compress the bolt head threads or at worst collapse the induction hardened surfaces of the bolt lug seats.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    If it were mine I would take it to a gunsmith who was familiar with the lee-enfield system and hope he can find a way to make it safer. You may be able to check the size of the head with a micrometer and it may be worn and shorter than it should be, but I haven't tried to order parts for a Lee in years and have no idea what is still available out there.

What is a micrometer?

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Bolt heads come in various sizes, are usually numbered but have overlapping dimensions.
    You could have a "0" bolt head that is actually longer than a 1 and so on from 0-3.
    They need to be fit to the rifle in a way that allows the bolt to not close on a .074 gauge.
    Even then a bolt that does not close on a .074 gauge, that is fit incorrectly can beat either the face of the bolt sleeve, compress the bolt head threads or at worst collapse the induction hardened surfaces of the bolt lug seats.

Is .074 the max safe limit or is that too larger to be safe?

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

I’m also now trying to get a head space gauge as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom