Should I sand and refinish my 1945 lee enfield #4 mk1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I got a #4 mk1 a couple days ago and last night I started taking it apart to do the normal surplus cleaning. The stock had a small crack on the front top hand guard where the middle barrel band goes over, which I want to repair so the crack does not get worse. The stock is all the same dark shade but I know they were originally stained with Linseed oil. There is surprisingly no rust on any of the metal but there is the normal blueing wear. The wood stock looks nice for the most part aside from the usual dings and scratches. It also has nice rifling. So should I sand and refinish the stock? (I will post more photos of it when I get home).

TLDR: Should I sand and refinish a 1945 #4 mk1 with linseed oil?
    c1200d162ebe959a7324f16df4463b2a.jpg

33f8d06da24f6f08b01be8e1904d0c1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    No to sanding.

If anything, I would repair the crack from the inside using Acraglas with surgical tubing as the mechanical clamp to create a proper set. You can color the Acraglas to match the finish to make it nearly unrecognizable.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Acraglas comes with dies that you mix in to get the color you want. No to sanding! Strip of the old finish with a solvent, tung oil finish. I did my Ishapor that way turned out great.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Unfortunately I didn’t think to take a photo of the rifle put together first. But should I use a paint stripper or what kind of solvent?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I use black dye with acra glass gel sometimes for strength.
    Irrigate the split with some acetone to get rid of oils and grease, if it’s pretty dry already tite bond wood glue will work.
    Hold the split open with some tooth picks so you can manage the adhesive better, scrape it off with a razor to Level the surface from both inside and outside to remove excess glue.
    Don’t smear it flat with your finger, let it set up some before scraping it off.
    If the splits on the radius of the HG, you need to support the guard with a piece of pipe or socket to maintain the radius without stressing it. Use grease to keep from sticking.
    Do a trial run with your rigging to make sure it does the job, you don’t want to have to figure it out and fumble over it while the glue is still wet and on the guard at the same time.
    Little bit of planning is all, you’ll have a nice repair that will be hard to detect and fun to accomplish.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Unfortunately I didn’t think to take a photo of the rifle put together first. But should I use a paint stripper or what kind of solvent?

I use acetone. Removes the dirt oils and finish without damage to the wood.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use black dye with acra glass gel sometimes for strength.
    Irrigate the split with some acetone to get rid of oils and grease, if it’s pretty dry already tite bond wood glue will work.
    Hold the split open with some tooth picks so you can manage the adhesive better, scrape it off with a razor to Level the surface from both inside and outside to remove excess glue.
    Don’t smear it flat with your finger, let it set up some before scraping it off.
    If the splits on the radius of the HG, you need to support the guard with a piece of pipe or socket to maintain the radius without stressing it. Use grease to keep from sticking.
    Do a trial run with your rigging to make sure it does the job, you don’t want to have to figure it out and fumble over it while the glue is still wet and on the guard at the same time.
    Little bit of planning is all, you’ll have a nice repair that will be hard to detect and fun to accomplish.
    Listen to this man^^^he knows his chit.

Sand and finish your floors. Leave your Enfield alone. :D

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Depends on if you want the rifle for the astetic or inherent value.

if you want to look at it and have a gleaming reflection of an old rifle knowing that it is worth less than had you not refinished it, then go for it.

If your owning this rifle as an investment, then dont

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Depends on if you want the rifle for the astetic or inherent value.

if you want to look at it and have a gleaming reflection of an old rifle knowing that it is worth less than had you not refinished it, then go for it.

If your owning this rifle as an investment, then dont

My collection is an investment I’ll never sell lol. But I’m honestly not sure, I want a original looking rifle (like it’s off the factory floor) but at the same time I like the old been through the ringer look.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have spent a lot of time and money starting an antique, historical gun collection. I'd rather have a beat-up original stock than one with refinished wood. As a matter of principal, I won't bid on a refinished old gun.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    ef6dfd0624f67cd5d811767d02eaef3a.jpg

d7729f05cedecd119092a6a46ca64dcf.jpg

3866e9812d0003599e259cb1edcee099.jpg

ac1046cd6c481de9d76e1e8232da1135.jpg

9984b7f8a9fd0a45bd6d03369fe31c50.jpg

45acdb0881b6db319226d09573a90015.jpg

91aa52468ad4d1b37f241e6b2a02627f.jpg

095ef029ea5d777d689b174d1c29b038.jpg

cfce1d16f3b5762c616f07987e1cc550.jpg

cd102f411b870648a23bd03402a451b6.jpg

4766f946b73f0dde8710bf75766e019e.jpg

56c61b6cb934e94778a0d57d719348d5.jpg

Alright guys, so I have finished cleaning all the metal, everything is oiled up, gunk free and reassembled for the time being and function checked. I have come to the conclusion I don’t want to refinish it but I do want to get rid of the grimy feeling on the stock. None of my other surplus rifles have had this tacky feeling. They have all been in wet cosmoline that I just wiped and melted off or been bone dry. What should I do to remove that? The acetone?

PS if y’all want/need better photos LMK.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Acetone will do it but will also start to remove any finish. A light application might get the gunk off. Just don’t get aggressive with it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Warm soap and water with a moderately stiff bristle brush for hard to move extra grimy areas. A medium scotch brite pad. Go easy, don't submerge the wood and wipe the crud off with some paper towels as it migrates off the stock.

If you could get the butt stock off that would make the whole thing easier to manage. Remove the fore stock by tapping down on with a rubber mallet or hardwood drift made form a dowel just in front of the butt stock socket. There will be a little ledge either side of the action body on the sides. Couple light raps will allow removal. Dont pull off by rotating the front of the fore stock downwards. That will/can cause damage to the bearing points.

Use penetrating oil on the butt stock bolt that is accessed through the trap at the rear of the stock. You'll need a stout common screw driver long enough to reach the bolt. Use penetrating oil at the front of the screw where it comes through the wrist socket. Sometimes there is a leather washer on top of the head of the bolt. Fish it out with a piece of thin wire and save it if you can.

Once its all clean I would flood the internal of the wood parts with boiled linseed oil to restore some lubricity to the wood fibers. It looks pretty dry and would probably drink it right up. (looks like its spent time on Africa)

Theirs a whole bunch of other things you can do to inspect, safety check clean and tidy up the appearance of your rifle if you wish.
    A no 4 is a good milsurp rifle to go over and bring back to fighting shape. A strange mix of simple and complexities that make them interesting to fiddle with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom