What's a Good Bolt Gun Caliber In-between 243 and 308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would just save the money and keep what you got man. A new caliber isn't going to do anything different.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    7x57 Mauser/275 Rigby some will call it if you don't mind hand loading.
    It can be loaded with 100 up to 175 gr. bullets.
    I use 139's and 4350 for a decent hunting cartridge that's so pleasant anybody can shoot.
    Maybe PPU has factory ammo available these days but I never tried it.

I have two bolt action rifles in 7 X 57 and have never had any trouble in finding ammo for them. But then I don't shoot them too much.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would just save the money and keep what you got man. A new caliber isn't going to do anything different.

I think you are right. To be honest, I am kind of looking for justification for collecting more riles. After all, if you are hunting here on the mid-Atlantic, why would you need anything more than a bow and a 20 gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel with a cantilever-mounted scope? (and maybe a black powder rifle).

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Lot's of great input - as usual. The comments here have convinced me that an in-between caliber is not going expand my horizons. Even 6.5 CM, not sure there is enough advantage even at 500 yards over a 243. I am leaning towards obtaining and becoming proficient with a longer range, bigger North American game rifle since there is a remote possibility of a hunting trip out West. Sometimes these trips are sudden, and it would be good to be prepared.

There's my rationale for collecting more rifles!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Bite your tongue.
    Lot's of great input - as usual. The comments here have convinced me that an in-between caliber is not going expand my horizons. Even 6.5 CM, not sure there is enough advantage even at 500 yards over a 243. I am leaning towards obtaining and becoming proficient with a longer range, bigger North American game rifle since there is a remote possibility of a hunting trip out West. Sometimes these trips are sudden, and it would be good to be prepared.

I think your thought processes are excellent. Look at older Safari Grade Brownings if you want collectible and functional. I’ve got some in .338 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and .375 H&H mag. All will suit your needs and are beautiful guns.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Always thought the .257 Roberts was a cool round. My maternal Grandfather used it in WV for deer, but "loved" the .25-06. I wouldn't kick either out of the gun safe. I hunt for deer at the undisclosed location mostly with .270 win and .270 wsm and never feel undergunned when I do.

I have long loved the .257 Roberts rifles I have. Loaded with light handloaded hollow points and you have a very good ground hog rifle and with the heavier loads it will take deer aplenty. I know it's older than the .243 but still works well.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Look at older Safari Grade Brownings if you want collectible and functional. I’ve got some in .338 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and .375 H&H mag. All will suit your needs and are beautiful guns.

though many do, i never got the idea of a pretty/collectible gun for hunting. i'm not throwing them down cliffs or anything but still i bushwack with them and they've hit the occasional brush, tree, rock outcrop, etc. not to mention wood being humidity/wet-sensitive. gimme a plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber stock any day over wood.

re 7stw, i have one and if you want to reach out and touch someone, it's quite the caliber. unfortunately ammo is hard(er) to find and expensive, esp if you need a box out in the middle of NW colorado.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    though many do, i never got the idea of a pretty/collectible gun for hunting. i'm not throwing them down cliffs or anything but still i bushwack with them and they've hit the occasional brush, tree, rock outcrop, etc. not to mention wood being humidity/wet-sensitive. gimme a plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber stock any day over wood.

re 7stw, i have one and if you want to reach out and touch someone, it's quite the caliber. unfortunately ammo is hard(er) to find and expensive, esp if you need a box out in the middle of NW colorado.

I take some of my high grade guns out hunting. If the gun will get beat up, I choose appropriately. I dove and duck hunt with Winchester 21s, depending on where I'm going. I also have a Browning shotgun with a synthetic stock I don't mind dropping in the bay. I don't believe in Safe Queens.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019

At 500 yards some (but not all) 6.5 Creedmoor loads will be going faster than .243. I really like 6.5 Creedmoor as a cartridge for shooting further than what most of Maryland allows for.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

When all else fails there is the 30-06, BILLIONS of different rifles chambered for it and it will fulfill all your needs.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Already have a 1994 vintage Weatherby Mark V 30-06 Sporter (at least I think it's the Sporter variant).

Only one? I may have misread but I thought you wanted to collect. 1917, Garand, 03, 03A3 and all the sniper variants plus sporting rifles. Too many calibers spoil the soup! That isn't to say 44's, 22's and some others aren't a necessity. 308, 270, 6.5 aren't enough difference IMHO.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

.338 Win Mag would certainly fit the bill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom