• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I am not sure if this has anything to do with the shipping debacle. But, the Brentwood USPS location is the one that had the issue with anthrax contamination years ago. That facility handles much (all?) of the government USPS traffic. They continue to inspect and irradiate incoming mail. Getting mail through and from that facility always takes extra time.

That facility handles nearly none of the government USPS mail.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Did MPD call you or did you call them? My handgun got picked up yesterday so I’m assuming it’ll be in the FFL’s by tomorrow.

They called me after about 10 days of actually getting my 1st item.
    5/8 MPD got it -- called me 5/19.
    I wasn't too concerned as I had something else going to them anyway.
    My second item did get the UPS "nobody home to deliver to" treatment but M. Campbell did eventually sign for it 2 days later.

I'm still not really sure if you are supposed to call them or they call you lol.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020
    Did MPD call you or did you call them? My handgun got picked up yesterday so I’m assuming it’ll be in the FFL’s by tomorrow.

He called when it got there the next day but thats only probably because I called him when he got it from usps because I had included their number instead of my personal number on the order just incase the gun store had to contact them for anything since its all new. I would call if it says they got it dont wait for them.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Thanks! I tried calling multiple times today, went to voice mail each time. The voicemail says they’ll call you but I’m going to play dumb and listen to their website which says call to schedule an appointment. Will try again Tuesday. Hopefully he’s in a better mood than normal.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    First available appointment to come into the FFL. June 24th. Yikes.

And that is just to fill out your PD-219, correct? Not even pick up your gun? Another two weeks for their new background investigation for your registration card... And then what another month for the next appointment to pick up your gun? This is ********.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    And that is just to fill out your PD-219, correct? Not even pick up your gun? Another two weeks for their new background investigation for your registration card... And then what another month for the next appointment to pick up your gun? This is ********.

Yup. It will only be the 6th time I’ve had a background investigation conducted.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

Wow. I'm dreading how long it will take them for mine I'm now going to call and check everyday just so I can make sure I have the soonest appointment they have whenever they are done.

chen t

May 20, 2020
    Wow. I'm dreading how long it will take them for mine I'm now going to call and check everyday just so I can make sure I have the soonest appointment they have whenever they are done.

Hopefully if the mayor relaxes things a bit you won’t need an appt? You can just show up for the upcoming first come first serve social distancing shitshow

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hopefully if the mayor relaxes things a bit you won’t need an appt? You can just show up for the upcoming first come first serve social distancing shitshow

The Mayor said DC is on track to begin reopening on May 29. I am not sure where gun registration falls into the plan though.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

Lol crazy thing is I just called and my registration has been completed. I'm not sure if it was today or Friday as I called early Friday morning but either or it took about a week and a half. I registered on the 14th. Have an appointment next Week to pick it up.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

Amongst the many elements of ********, the two biggest are:

1) That they require the PD-219 to be filled out in the presence of the buyer and seller and submitted to MPD in person. A non-MPD FFL is just signing and putting down the SN, no reason that should have to be done in person. When you submit it to MPD, if it isn’t you first gun (so you don’t need to submit fingerprints again), there is no reason that needs to be done in person either since they could collect the fee online and for a gun transferred through them they are checking your ID when you pick it up and any other FFL will check your ID against the registration card too.

2) This new background check that takes a few weeks. I suspect that some people who became prohibited after their first registration slipped through due to some sloppy clerical work, so now they are resubmitting fingerprints (the saved digital images, not collecting new prints) to the FBI and not just doing a name-based check. Frankly I’m surprised they don’t have every DC gun owner in the FBI RapBack system (Federal agencies are starting to use this for cleared personnel), so they get pinged if anyone gets arrested. Might be above their technical capabilities. And while this would be yet another infringement, at least they wouldn’t need to run their background check for every purchase.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Amongst the many elements of ********, the two biggest are:

1) That they require the PD-219 to be filled out in the presence of the buyer and seller and submitted to MPD in person. A non-MPD FFL is just signing and putting down the SN, no reason that should have to be done in person. When you submit it to MPD, if it isn’t you first gun (so you don’t need to submit fingerprints again), there is no reason that needs to be done in person either since they could collect the fee online and for a gun transferred through them they are checking your ID when you pick it up and any other FFL will check your ID against the registration card too.

2) This new background check that takes a few weeks. I suspect that some people who became prohibited after their first registration slipped through due to some sloppy clerical work, so now they are resubmitting fingerprints (the saved digital images, not collecting new prints) to the FBI and not just doing a name-based check. Frankly I’m surprised they don’t have every DC gun owner in the FBI RapBack system (Federal agencies are starting to use this for cleared personnel), so they get pinged if anyone gets arrested. Might be above their technical capabilities. And while this would be yet another infringement, at least they wouldn’t need to run their background check for every purchase.

Please clarify, "PD-219 to be filled out in the presence of the buyer and seller". Does that mean DC is the seller? That makes no sense.

I did ask why I would need to be re-fingerprinted. The officer at registration said, MPD throws the prints away after a time. That was also the same officer that said, "I do not need you to show the weapon is clear. If you do anything funny I would shoot you in the face. I am faster to draw that you." He might be a special dude in the MPD penalty box of registration.:rolleyes:

Ah DC I love you, but you are retarded.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Please clarify, "PD-219 to be filled out in the presence of the buyer and seller". Does that mean DC is the seller? That makes no sense.

If your using DC as the FFL then they are the “seller.” Their language not mine, it should probably say transferor.

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020

I did ask why I would need to be re-fingerprinted. The officer at registration said, MPD throws the prints away after a time. That was also the same officer that said, "I do not need you to show the weapon is clear. If you do anything funny I would shoot you in the face. I am faster to draw that you." He might be a special dude in the MPD penalty box of registration.:rolleyes:

Ah DC I love you, but you are retarded.

MPD throws the prints away? Wonderful idea, what happens if someone with a registration commits a crime and they try and run prints?

That aside, did he mention how long they keep them before tossing? Seems like a perfect justification for me to buy a new gun every so often just to keep myself in the system :D

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    MPD throws the prints away? Wonderful idea, what happens if someone with a registration commits a crime and they try and run prints?

That aside, did he mention how long they keep them before tossing? Seems like a perfect justification for me to buy a new gun every so often just to keep myself in the system :D

He said 3 years, but that was a while ago.

chen t

May 20, 2020

Mirrors my experience. If it wasn’t for the helpful info here I wouldn’t understand the sheer incompetence that is this process.

The DC FFL knows but refuses to tell people. They have to simply say “it was sent to the post office because Usps does not directly delivered to this building. We send people to pick up mail. Give at up to a week or call the post office.”

Yeah it’s a pain In the ass but at least it’d be transparent.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012

I don't think the system was ever meant to help solve crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom