Steel fabrication and off-roading mod shop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I'm strongly considering picking up a proper body-on-frame SUV/truck (probably a 4Runner) in the near future and will want to have some mods done to it. Are there any offroad shops in the greater Maryland area? Ideally within 1-2 hours of Rockville.

I'm looking to have things like sliders and/or underbelly armor fabricated, maybe a lift installed (although I'll probably do that myself). There are plenty of options I can order online, but shipping costs are brutal and lead times are very long. If there's a local guy to support, I'm happy to explore that option. Thanks!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Terry Porter in Sharpsburg is an awesome welder and has made several rock crawlers on his own. He also has been experimenting a lot in knife making and damascus steel lately. This guy can and has built most anything made with steel.

4433 Mills Rd, Sharpsburg, MD 21782
    (301) 432-4869

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Trick trucks in Lanham

There used to be a small shop in laurel too.

I can not give you reviews for either

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Appreciate the leads, gentlemen. I found Trick Trucks on my own before making this post. Spoke to the Kensington location, just around the corner from me - I could drop off the truck and walk home haha. Nice guy, but they just install factory parts. No cutting, welding, or anything else.

I'll be giving them all a call on Monday between work meetings. Thanks!

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Appalachian Offroad Inc in Westminster

Mike Bosley is the owner, been full time in business since 2004 and probably a decade before that for himself and nights/weekend clients.

He's built full custom buggies that have participated in King of the Hammers and many other races.

They do bolt on to full custom, I highly recommend.

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Exciting news. I picked up a 2019 last October and could not be happier.

There are a few shops that I would recommend in the area depending on the model year you end up purchasing. I'd also recommend checking out and becoming a member of the Overland Bound community....they have an amazing interactive map that lists off-road trail heads, state parks, trusted mechanics, group members, camp sites, etc... It's an amazing resource.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Just a word of caution when moding used vehicles. See if the shop just bolts the parts on... over existing dirt, mud, rust etc., or do they prep the surface, de-rust, and when bolting on the new parts, do they use a sealer on the faying surfaces to lock out moisture (and salt around here). Use a brushable chromate sealant, or something like PPG P/S 870 or equiv.

Rust/corrosion is a killer of modern trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom