• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Going to give it one last try in Baltimore Co tomorrow morning.Are they still gobbling?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Had a good hour and a half before it started raining,but didnt hear or see any turkeys.That makes three hunts in a row with no gobbles.This is on a farm where I have had pretty good success in the past.

Guess I will give em hell next year...lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Called this one in for my buddy this morning. Now we're working on one for me.

Attachments

• 20200523_063849.jpg
      20200523_063849.jpg
      292.6 KB · Views: 177

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The boys hunting at the farm are bitching that they haven’t seen or even hear a single bird. I figure that thunderstorm has them shut down but it’s hard to tell

I told them to run and gun calling till their tired of it or get a bird to come in

Idk if that’s the right call but at least they will have some fun lol

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Finally got one yesterday evening. 10 1/2'' beard and 1 1/4'' spurs. Had another one gobbling and coming my way this morning but I think a hen met up with him 100-150 yards from me and he went silent.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
      IMG_0196.jpg
      228 KB · Views: 151

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well done sir!!! Good luck on one for yourself!
    Thanks. No luck for me, but calling that bird in for my bro was just as good. It was only his second turkey, both being called in by me.:)
    Finally got one yesterday evening. 10 1/2'' beard and 1 1/4'' spurs. Had another one gobbling and coming my way this morning but I think a hen met up with him 100-150 yards from me and he went silent.
    That thing is a monster. Bet it goes better that 25#(nice job getting the feet in there)!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I went, I got wet then got hot then went home. I hate turkeys. Blew a hen out of a tree roost at 0930. WTF was she doing in a tree that late?

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    Congrats to all that were successful this year.It was my worst season ever.I only went a few times tho.

+1, I have never encountered as many hunters and lack of gobbling as I did this year. Seems like it was feast or famine. Several guys I know limited out early. Congrats to those who were successful! Till next year. Stay safe!

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    +1, I have never encountered as many hunters and lack of gobbling as I did this year. Seems like it was feast or famine. Several guys I know limited out early. Congrats to those who were successful! Till next year. Stay safe!

Birds were definitely not vocal most of the season. Most of the Toms that were killed by people I know came in quiet. The only bird I heard really gobble off the roost was the one I heard yesterday.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Birds were definitely not vocal most of the season. Most of the Toms that were killed by people I know came in quiet. The only bird I heard really gobble off the roost was the one I heard yesterday.
    Same here.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I went out a total of five times. I only heard one bird gobble. I did not see any birds. I'm starting to think that the predators may be eating well. I full disclosure I was hunting maryland property
    and the hunting pressure was quite high.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    One thing you have to remember

Two years ago,we had record levels of rainfall.The cold,wet Spring took a heavy toll on poult survival.Most of the toms shot every year are 2 years old.More hunting pressure this year combined with less toms equals much less gobbling going on.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This year was much more exciting up here than normal. I have high hopes for next year too. We had pretty good poult survival last year from what I saw and my cameras are catching more than ever. Hope they do well this year too. I know of at least 4 more gobblers in addition to the one i shot within a square mile.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My buddy who shot the turkey I posted heard two different gobblers today as he began to cut his hay.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some will be strutting still at the end of June. I'm not sure if the morbidity of last years hatch has as much to do with how vocal they are.
    I could probably see the increased numbers of birds of prey in a lot of different areas. Hunter density, other forms of predation or even how windy it was at the beginning of the season and some guys just not hearing a gobble.
    Could also be an increased number of hen birds or immature roosters interfering with the pecking order somehow. Who seen birds running hens all around like the whitetail rut when they were out?
    It was also pretty warm where I hunt even when the youth hunt was on. Usually you have to be prepared for cold where I go or have a little something to eat with you to keep warm till about 10:00.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seems to me here where I am in Harford, the hens broke up and started nesting really early. The Tom's were all hard up all spring. Anything that sounded remotely like a hen clucking and they were gobbling and running towards it. We had a jake last week gobbling at my chickens at noon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom