• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luigi2020

Oct 21, 2013
    Nottingham, MD
    I got a Ruger AR-556 and it's been great. Didn't cost much and works without any problems.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Clandestine and Jlowe are great. But it looks like Jlowe's entire "MD Compliant AR" section is sold out of stock, at least according to his website.

This Windham HBAR model R16A4T is currently on sale for $619.99 with free shipping, probably the cheapest complete rifle of the 4 brands listed previously, and has been recommended numerous times here. If you go this route call them and make sure they can swap the 30 rounder for a 10 rounder for you.

Best of luck!

Jlowe's says the Windham is available:
    http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...k-30rd-a2-flash-hider-a3-carry-handle-1533404

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Windham Weaponry ARs have a lifetime, transferable warranty, so you’re getting a quality rifle that they stand behind. They do include a 10-round mag for MD customers, as well as a plastic case and web sling.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    If I may make a suggestion or two

Maybe ask here if anyone here is hitting the elk neck range soon. And if they would trade a few shots on their ar platform. You buy the ammo. There’s a good chance someone may let you try it. Couldn’t hurt to ask. Seems some gun folks are willing to help newbies.

Also, I’ve been shooting for while, since the late 70’s, but never had an ar until a few years ago. When I bought my first, I went with advice go get a full gun by a bigger manufacturer. I did s&w, but Ruger and several others mentioned in this thread would be good. A local dealer would probably have a good enough selection of good brands to start with.

Later, if you like the platform you can go in different directions. You have some experience to know what you want to improve upon. For me, there is a lower and a pistol kit in the safe waiting to be built. After a few years it’s time to experiment a little. (Actually the pistol is for the wife, the full length isn’t quite to here liking so ... experimenting ! ;) )

Check the dealers that post here and have a good reputation. Looks like several folks have made specific recommendations for local shops. They sound like good places to start.

Good luck.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Go shoot one at a range that rents them. See if you like the platform before buying.

Another company worth mentioning is Maryland-based LWRC International. I’m talking about their DI (direct impingement) rifles. They are a little more expensive (approximately $1,200), but offer many upgrades. You won’t be sorry choosing LWRC.

Their piston guns are great too, but clearly not necessary for a first AR. They are north of $2k.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Beware of S&W AR's. I have 3 Uppers in front of me right now that have short headspace and won't run.

Beware of Ruger AR's. They have poor qualify BCG's.

If you have not fired an AR I can meet you at elk neck and give you an introduction. I'm not a shooting instructor but I need to go test some rifles soon.

Avoid Gas Piston AR's at all costs. No matter who makes them.

Many people say AR's are like Legos. This is a fallacy. Legos don't need to contain 50k PSI explosions 8" from your face. An AR will go together like Legos, but it you actually plan to shoot it then take caustion. Just because it goes together from parts sourced from all over, does not mean it will run, nor does it mean it's safe. It's rare that I have students in an AR build class that does not have a serious issue with components not gauging out properly and being unsafe.

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Piston hate...

Beware of S&W AR's. I have 3 Uppers in front of me right now that have short headspace and won't run.

Beware of Ruger AR's. They have poor qualify BCG's.

If you have not fired an AR I can meet you at elk neck and give you an introduction. I'm not a shooting instructor but I need to go test some rifles soon.

Avoid Gas Piston AR's at all costs. No matter who makes them.

I realize this has been discussed before but please remind me why such a destane for Piston platforms? I never had any issues with my LWRC.
    Thanks

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    As someone else said, ARs are like Legos. My builds have been put together on a rather tight budget using mil-spec parts from different vendors. They all run perfectly. Stay with anything that is mil-spec and you should be good.
    Make sure the barrel is HBAR and 5.56 marked. If your intention is to have a SHTF weapon that will run on likely available ammo, that is what you should acquire.
    You do not have to spend a fortune to get a reliable AR.
    If you intend to use it for precision shooting, a .223 Wylde chamber will still fire 5.56 rounds. My dad handloads rounds for one of his and can place three shots touching @ 100 yards consistently. Most factory ammo will not be capable of that.
    Later, you can simply replace the upper assembly, bolt carrier group and perhaps buffer and spring to change to another caliber.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Not to beat a dead horse, as no one will charge their mind, but Battlefield Las Vegas admits to never trying LWRC. LWRC ARs are known for being very reliable.

If I could only have one AR, I’d go with DI because of the universal parts. That said, my LWRC IC Enhanced has never had a hiccup. It is my favorite AR that I own.

I am not an expert by any means.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not to beat a dead horse, as no one will charge their mind, but Battlefield Las Vegas admits to never trying LWRC. If I could only have one AR, I’d go with DI because of the universal parts. That said, my LWRC IC Enhanced has never had a hiccup. It is my favorite AR that I own.

I have changed many minds away from G.P. AR's.

Even if one dismisses my claims, look at the people who offer combat carbine training and see how many pick G.P. over D.I.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Windham Weaponry ARs have a lifetime, transferable warranty, so you’re getting a quality rifle that they stand behind. They do include a 10-round mag for MD customers, as well as a plastic case and web sling.

My 2 cents...…

listen to whatever Clandestine advises.....

Good advice here. Have a Windham AR and love it. Only change I made was to put in a Geissele trigger.

I see you're in HdG. Try stopping in J&K associates on 40. Good people and very helpful. They usually have a good sampling of evil black things in stock ranging from entry to "OMG I CAN'T AFFORD THAT".

Good luck.:)

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have changed many minds away from G.P. AR's.

Even if one dismisses my claims, look at the people who offer combat carbine training and see how many pick G.P. over D.I.

I don’t dismiss your claims. I think they are valid and if I needed a SHTF rifle, I’d grab one of my DI rifles. I just think that the LWRC piston weapons are excellent. That said, I don’t have anywhere near your level of expertise with the AR platform.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    For my first one I would go with a Colt, they are only a trigger upgrade away from being a very good AR and usually hold value fairly well.

My son told me and the wife tonight that he shot an AR today at the rage with my brother. Then asked why I don't own some of them? After he went home the wife said" why don't you buy some of them" you shoot every thing else. Looks like I need help on picking out my first AR. I'm thinking something in 556. Any idea on what to get, or what to stay away from? Joe

I see you're in Havre De Grace. Jlowesguns is on the other side of the bridge and he has some of the best prices in America.
    I would reach out to him and get a Colt or a Windham Weaponry AR.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    My son told me and the wife tonight that he shot an AR today at the rage with my brother. Then asked why I don't own some of them? After he went home the wife said" why don't you buy some of them" you shoot every thing else. Looks like I need help on picking out my first AR. I'm thinking something in 556. Any idea on what to get, or what to stay away from? Joe

If you're gonna get "some", then maybe start off cheap to get into it. And then if you like it, get into the more expensive stuff like lwrc, Daniel defense, bravo company, etc.

I just helped a friend build his AR for around $400, the lower was $40 at gymratz and he got the magpul upgraded complete kit from palmetto state armory for $360'ish.

The other option if you're not comfortable with building you're own lower, gymratz was selling the ruger ar's for $499. I think that ruger is probably the best deal on the market, I've shot a few and they're accurate with a really nice trigger pull right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom