• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Lets assume:

1. You just bought a new Sp-01 for uspsa production.
    2. New sights are already on the way.
    3. Budget is limited (or you would've just ordered the shadow 2).

What are the next upgrades, in what order of preference? I don't get have the cash for full CGW treatment, but can piecemeal it over the next year or two.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I had one. I upgraded the sights first then added VZ frag grips. After a few hundred rounds I ended up with stock front sight and blacked out rear and stock grips. Just preferred the feel of the factory grips. I polished the internals also and that made it feel super slick. It was a great gun and only got rid of it get a shadow 2 which I still haven’t done!

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Buy contents of the Production Legal Kit piecemeal if you can't afford the full kit. Pretty much all the install information is over on Brian Enos forums.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The beauty of a CZ is that they usually shoot pretty darn good straight outta the box but, for the budget-minded owner who wants to upgrade, there's a lot you can DIY.

Grips: I replaced the factory rubber grips with a set of VZ Diamondbacks on my PCR and imagine they'd be even more comfortable on a full-size SP-01. If you're right-handed, you sacrifice the little 'rest' for the thumb by changing to VZ's but they made my PCR feel less 'chunky' and more concealable. Some owners have complained about the abrasiveness of the Diamondback grips but I'm not one of them. They feel great and don't make the gun any less pleasant to shoot. Look great, too.

DI041zy.jpg

Guide Rod: I replaced the polymer guide rod from CZ with a black anodized stainless steel guide rod. I don't know why. I don't entirely buy the hype about how they're supposed to reduce recoil and all that. I just did it for psychological reasons. When I got the PCR last year, I was still at the height of my polymer-anything phobia.

Trigger: Does your SP-01 come with a thumb safety or is it a de-cocker? If it's a thumb safety model, I would postpone plans for trigger work and just shoot the crap out of it. The trigger-pull gets better with use. If it's a de-cocker model, like my PCR, a trigger job would be my first priority after replacing the so-so factory sights. There's probably a difference of 1 lbs. between the SA trigger-pull on my CZ-75B (thumb) and my PCR (de-cocker). There's also less creep. The factory trigger-pull from CZ is good for service/duty work but for competition, it ain't nothing to write home about.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    On my 75B I did sights and grips, but the biggest improvement came from this kit from CGW: https://cajungunworks.com/product/production-legal-drop-in-hammer-kit/

Out of the box, the SA trigger pull has extra weight because of the way the hammer cams back. There are DIY instructions online to file those engagement surfaces to reduce the camming and lightening the pull, but I wasn't comfortable doing that myself.

This kit lightens the pull considerably, but there is still a small amount of reverse cramming, so I'm not worried that it has an unsafe engagement angle.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Its a thumb safety model. I am concerned with both DA and SA pull weight because we have to start DA on production class.

If I add up the SRS kit and hammer upgrade, its already 75% of the cost of the Production Legal Kit. Might just bite the bullet and go all in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom