• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've finally decided that I am a revolver guy. I have several guns (including pistols) but my favorite is my 3" SP101. I use it for SD on my boat and do not carry. I am looking for another SD revolver for home but would like a 6 shot vs 5 shot (SP101). I have small hands and feel like the GP100 is too large. The new S&W 66 fits my hand very well but I am open to recommendations for a 357mag/38spl.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would consider the .327 LCR from Ruger if it fits you hand. 6rds.

S&W 686 is also a great option if you want a larger frame for the house.

If you stick with S&W and Ruger I don't think you can go wrong. Colts are also fine but harder to find and often $$ these days.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Find a good used Ruger Security Six or Speed Six. They're the same frame size as the S&W 66 and have no problems with a steady diet of 125gr JHPs, unlike the Smith.

tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    sp101

I had the SP 101, but sold it because it would beat up the knuckle on my middle finger. I swapped to a Hogue grip which helped a lot, but the gun and I never "bonded".....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    K/L frame S&W, anything lesser, is well, lesser. Go with a Hogue 19012 or Bantam for a smaller grip, it's about as good as a mid sized new production revolver can get. If the primary purpose is home defense, might also look into the scandium 327/R8 platform, 8 rounds, option to use moonclips, small rail for flashlights, and actually lighter than the smaller 686, they are expensive, but epic.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I know you said you wanted something with a smaller grip than the GP100. I love my GP100, perhaps get an after market grip???

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Find a good used Ruger Security Six or Speed Six. They're the same frame size as the S&W 66 and have no problems with a steady diet of 125gr JHPs, unlike the Smith.

+1 this is knowledge being dropped:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you think a GP100 is larger than you care for, an L Frame will be similar. Any K frame (reading first post as meaning .38 OR .357, which is a reasonable opinion, and opens up selection).

I really like Security/ Service/ Speed Sixes. If you accidentally stumble upon a lonely and unapricated one, great. But the situation isn't what it was say 10yrs ago . They were discontinued over 30yrs ago. I know I sm outspoken fan of classic guns, but there's more.

Ruger had discontinued factory support, and had exhausted their supply of spare parts. The guns are in demand by Ruger collectors, and their prices are increasing compared to S-&W of similar vintage ( S&W generally supports all K frames back to introduction of Model numbers.)

Of course, I am jelously hoarding my Ruger dash Sixes

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    Lots of good recommendations. I think I'm going to shop for an older used revolver. I don't care if it had a few dings. I prefer 38spl+p over 357mag so that might save me some $.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Find a good, used Smith & Wesson Model 19. That was one of my Dad's favorite revolvers, and that was a man who knew his guns.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Lots of good recommendations. I think I'm going to shop for an older used revolver. I don't care if it had a few dings. I prefer 38spl+p over 357mag so that might save me some $.

These might fit your description ...

Model 10, $350 (not incl shipping)
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/hand...d-wesson-model-10-heavy-barrel-revolvers.html
    Might look really nice with some wood grips

Model 64, $390 (not incl shipping)
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/smith-wesson/smith-and-wesson-64-revolver.html

Model 640 (357, but you can of course use 38 Special in it), $470 (not incl shipping) - DA as hammer isn't exposed
    https://www.recoilgunworks.com/smith-wesson-snub-nose-very-good-condition-p-29673.html

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I really like Security/ Service/ Speed Sixes. If you accidentally stumble upon a lonely and unapricated one, great. But the situation isn't what it was say 10yrs ago . They were discontinued over 30yrs ago. I know I sm outspoken fan of classic guns, but there's more.

Ruger had discontinued factory support, and had exhausted their supply of spare parts. The guns are in demand by Ruger collectors, and their prices are increasing compared to S-&W of similar vintage ( S&W generally supports all K frames back to introduction of Model numbers.)

Of course, I am jelously hoarding my Ruger dash Sixes

Nice blued ones are frequently going for $600 or higher on GB. Lots of bidding on these (as long as they don't initially price them high).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So you want a HD revolver huh???

I love the TRR8 recommendation but my wallet and bank account want to punch you in the face :)

Lets keep these real and simple. There are a million options out there and to be honest most are just as good as the next. For HD you could easily buy a Charter Arms, throw it in the night stand and be perfectly secure in your home but what fun would that be???

I'll back the S&W Model 10 idea. It's a great 6 shot 38 that's nickname should have been Old Trusty! I have 4 of them and always bring my snub nose version to the range. They can be had from 250-300 (used police trade in 4 inch barrel) to 500 (2 inch barrel). It's heavier then the Model 36 (which is a 5 shot) and has been used in policing for ever. It's such a popular pistol there have been MILLIONS of them made, literally millions. It's actually one of those pistols that even with the market being flooded it's not really losing it's value either. This gun is so freaking awesome it's still in production almost 70 years after and MSRP on a new one is $700!!!!!!!!!

My love for the model 10's aside the 19 is also a wonderful suggestion should you choose the 357 cartridge but your going to pony up a little bit more for that one. My buddy snagged a 19 combat for 400 bucks but that pretty much seemed like it came with a side bar tug job to get him down to 400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom