• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm looking for a muzzle break for my build. It'll be pinned/welded on a 14.5 Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel.
    My concern is I won't be buying a suppressor until next year so I need to get the break now but it needs to fit whatever suppressor I end up going with. Are the breaks with the external threads universal to accept any suppressor, or do they only accept the same brand?

Example: a YHM break with a Silencerco suppressor

I know jack squat about muzzle breaks hence the stupid question.
    Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No universal one that I know of.

Usually the mount goes hand in hand with the suppressor (ie: same manufacturer).

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    No universal one that I know of.

Usually the mount goes hand in hand with the suppressor (ie: same manufacturer).

That's what I was afraid of. I can't finish the build until I get the muzzle break and welded on the barrel. But I can't get the muzzle break til I have a suppressor. But I can't get the suppressor until next year. Hence my predicament

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    That's what I was afraid of. I can't finish the build until I get the muzzle break and welded on the barrel. But I can't get the muzzle break til I have a suppressor. But I can't get the suppressor until next year. Hence my predicament

The good thing is you won't have to break the muzzle. Instead you can brake it. ;)
    kind of a clip vs magazine thing to me but different.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Do you have any idea which suppressor you want? If you do, just buy the brake separately, then pin/weld it.

You really do need to decide now which manufacturer you want. Mounts are usually the same for each manufacturers lineup. Usually but not always.

Good luck

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    No idea. I was also worried if I bought the mount now and waited a year or so to buy the suppressor that it may not be available or discontinued where the company goes out of business or something weird like that

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I lean towards the YHM offerings, the 30 cal can fits on the 5.56 mount. And it's not too pricey.

Versatility and cost appeal to me.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    No idea. I was also worried if I bought the mount now and waited a year or so to buy the suppressor that it may not be available or discontinued where the company goes out of business or something weird like that

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Reputable companies like Silencerco, AAC and YHM are here to stay.

I have a Silencerco 5.56 Specwar and it uses the same mount as the Omega I just bought.

Of course there are many chooces. If you only have one rifle the modular approach will not mean as much to you.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I wouldn't be too worried about that. Reputable companies like Silencerco, AAC and YHM are here to stay.

I have a Silencerco 5.56 Specwar and it uses the same mount as the Omega I just bought.

Of course there are many chooces. If you only have one rifle the modular approach will not mean as much to you.

I thought I saw somewhere on here that AAC was in trouble and wasn't looking like it would be around for much longer?
    Regardless. You have a good point.

Last edited:
    I actually made a post asking about several different suppressors and brakes that accept suppressors. Thunderbeast claims to have no change in POI with their suppressors. I threw the question on here and a few members stated that they have Thunderbeast brakes and suppressors and they have no change in POI. That's the route I'm gonna go. I'll be getting the .30cal suppressor so that I can also use it on my M1A.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer Thunder Beast.

They also have a flash suppressor mount.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/cb-flash-hider

And .223 brake/flash suppressor will fit a .30 can.

Thunder Beast has the least POI shift of the cans out there.

And they have had this mounting system for at least one upgrade in their cans. And the previous mount lasted for several iterations. Also, they offer an adapter for the older cans to the newer mount (not the other way around). So lots of compatibility

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I just went through the same thing on my last 2 builds. Ended up putting AAC devices on both my builds, looks like I know what can I will be purchasing.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Buying into a certain brand or type of mount is like buying a camera. You are really purchasing into a lens mounting system. So decide carefully. Mounts can get expensive. All of my centerfire cans are SiCo ASR mount so I can swap cans (caliber appropriate of course). You can get ASR mounts for most if not all QD SiCO cans that include the Specwars, Sakers, Omegas and Hybrid....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom