• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruarkkustomz

Dec 24, 2015
    Salisbury,md
    I purchased a glock 43 and I"m looking at putting talon grips on it and was wondering which one everyone is going with? the rubber or granulated ones?

ruarkkustomz

Dec 24, 2015
    Salisbury,md
    Got the rubber style on my shield. Looks and feels good, but probably won't last long

How do you like the shield? I was thinking about getting one but got the g43 instead. still might get a shield as well

I was leaning towards the rubber. wife wants granulated for her nano. We are both working on carry permits out of state and hope to try in spring for my Maryland.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    How do you like the shield? I was thinking about getting one but got the g43 instead. still might get a shield as well

I was leaning towards the rubber. wife wants granulated for her nano. We are both working on carry permits out of state and hope to try in spring for my Maryland.

I don't have the g43 yet (no HQL)... but not a huge fan of the Shield. It's a great gun but I've gotten way to used to the Glock trigger. So maybe not the most unbiased review. Plus the safety just seems like a bad idea... would prefer a longer, intentional trigger pull with a smooth (if mushy) roll.

Rubber grips are definitely better on a pocket pistol, but depending on the draw style you may find they also drag clothing with them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Rubber if you are just looking for a little added traction. The granular are basically skateboard tape with very hard and sharp mineral grit, they are rough on hands, snag clothing, and scuff most anything they touch, but do add about as much traction as you can get. The rubber grips just plain work, more traction than most factory pistols, but being textured soft plastic they do not scuff things, and are MUCH better on your hands. My Rubber talons never snag clothing any worse than a bare polymer grip.

I often carry an early Kahr PM9, fairly slippery out of the box, shifts easily with any sweat, tried granular grips and ended up removing them, just too rough, they wore my thumb raw on a couple range outings, went without for a couple years, and put Talon Rubber grips on about a year ago, and love them, traction is great, they are a bit softer and more comfortable than the bare grip. The grips are made out of very good 3M traction tape, the adhesive lasts for a long time, provided you prep them well. A perfectly clean surface is critical, as is lining them up correctly. I blended the overlapping edge on mine by skiving the edge a little with a dremel sanding drum, then matched the texture and blended it in with a soldering iron tip.

ruarkkustomz

Dec 24, 2015
    Salisbury,md
    I don't have the g43 yet (no HQL)... but not a huge fan of the Shield. It's a great gun but I've gotten way to used to the Glock trigger. So maybe not the most unbiased review. Plus the safety just seems like a bad idea... would prefer a longer, intentional trigger pull with a smooth (if mushy) roll.

Rubber grips are definitely better on a pocket pistol, but depending on the draw style you may find they also drag clothing with them.

I just received my hql the other day finally caved in and decided to get it. I've heard mixed reviews on them and wasn't sure if it was worth it. I did end up ordering rubber grips for them last night.

Rubber if you are just looking for a little added traction. The granular are basically skateboard tape with very hard and sharp mineral grit, they are rough on hands, snag clothing, and scuff most anything they touch, but do add about as much traction as you can get. The rubber grips just plain work, more traction than most factory pistols, but being textured soft plastic they do not scuff things, and are MUCH better on your hands. My Rubber talons never snag clothing any worse than a bare polymer grip.

I often carry an early Kahr PM9, fairly slippery out of the box, shifts easily with any sweat, tried granular grips and ended up removing them, just too rough, they wore my thumb raw on a couple range outings, went without for a couple years, and put Talon Rubber grips on about a year ago, and love them, traction is great, they are a bit softer and more comfortable than the bare grip. The grips are made out of very good 3M traction tape, the adhesive lasts for a long time, provided you prep them well. A perfectly clean surface is critical, as is lining them up correctly. I blended the overlapping edge on mine by skiving the edge a little with a dremel sanding drum, then matched the texture and blended it in with a soldering iron tip.

very good info just what I was looking for. Ended up ordering the rubber grips so we'll see how they work out. looked at the pm9 and almost bought one very nice gun.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Just shot 100 rounds through my Glock 19 today with the abrasive sandpaper talons and didn't notice any discomfort with my soft office hands. That would probably total a minimum of 500 since putting the grips on. I can't carry in our great state of MD, so I'm sure there is some stock in the skate board tape wearing your clothes, etc if you did.

Last edited:

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I went with the Talon rubber on my Kahr CM9 to reduce the bite of the stippling on the front strap. They've been on a couple of years now with no sign of wear or peeling. I followed the instructions to the letter, including the hair dryer treatment. I did not like the feel of the granulated texture, but I guess if your hands are bloody or greasy it might come in handy.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD

The shield is so far so good. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but pretty good. Slim for ccw, 8+1. I think I would have a better grouping with a glock (compared with 23), but I haven't shot the 43, so I can't comment on that. It shoots pretty good, especially with the talon grip and the extended mag that came with it. Shot approx close to 500 haven't had a hiccup, yet.

I carry the shield now instead of the 23. The only down side is that there's a gap between the mag and the mag well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom