• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    I am new to site. Have a Uberti High Wall in 45-70. Put Lee Shaver sights on it. Have worked up load for 300 grain jacketed bullet which gets me close to MOA. I would like to eventually shoot black powder. Anyone here shoot High Wall?

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I am new to site. Have a Uberti High Wall in 45-70. Put Lee Shaver sights on it. Have worked up load for 300 grain jacketed bullet which gets me close to MOA. I would like to eventually shoot black powder. Anyone here shoot High Wall?
    I'm also new. Not a high wall, but I got a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in .45-70, though my sight isn't as nice as yours. I've got a stash of 300 grain lead bullets and will work on a load for them, but my expectation is that if you're looking for long range (over 200 yards) you'll want a heavier bullet. I plan to try both smokeless and black powder in mine. I'll be curious of your results.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Horseman,

Glad to hear from you. I have started loading 405 grain Oregon Trail cast bullets with decent results. Also have some 350 grain cast to try. The Pederdolis I have seen are nice rifles. Maybe someday I will have one! I still have not tried black powder loads. Want to study on it some more.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I have a Miroku-manufactured Browning 1885 High-Wall, also in 45-70 with an aperture sight. I've loaded up some cowboy rounds for it and love shooting it at 100 yds -- no access to a longer range. I've also wanted to shoot black powder, but haven't started doing it yet.

JoeR

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Joe, if you want to move beyond a 100 yards, you can go to Vienna on Eastern Shore. Delmarva Sorting Clays. 100, 200, 300 target and a 500 yard dinger. Not a bad facility. I have been there few times but haven't tried the 45-70 yet. Maybe this spring we ought to organize a trip down to shore and give it a try.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    The Hap Baker range, which is Carroll Co., I think, also has a 200 yard range. It's a public one. I've just recently become aware of Delmarva but haven't been. It would be fun to do a trip. I plan to load up some smokeless and black powder loads here soon and see what they do.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    High Wall update

I have shot my Uberti quite a bit and it hits the 500 yard dinger at Delmarva when I can find a spotter. Easy enough when you interest another shooter into trying your rifle. I have yet to try BP in this. I'm working on a friend's original 1885 Win 38-55. Had to clean about 6 thousandths of lead out of the barrel but think may be getting some accuracy now. May try some BP through it since that is what it was made for.

Be interested in update from rest of folks who previously posted above. Maybe a shoot at Hap Baker one day and plan a trip to Delmarva. Going to Cheyenne in August to shoot long distance which should be a hoot.

Also planning to participate in Scheutzen match at Thurmond first of August.

Lots to talk about mongst us newbie single shot folks.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Good to hear. I had some decent results with both black and smokeless on 300 gr loads at 150 yds, and some 405 gr smokeless loads at 200 yds. I don't have good enough sight for farther than that right now anyway. I did pick up a mold for some 500gr boolits but haven't gotten started casting yet. I had a new baby last year, so hobby time is limited for a while.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    I just ordered some BP bullets and picked up can of Goex and book on BP loading. Going to try BP in 38-55. Oh and have plenty of Ballistol to help clean up afterward. Kind of daunting to load it. I am used to smokeless and this is whole new ball game.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I just ordered some BP bullets and picked up can of Goex and book on BP loading. Going to try BP in 38-55. Oh and have plenty of Ballistol to help clean up afterward. Kind of daunting to load it. I am used to smokeless and this is whole new ball game.
    It's not really that bad as long as you follow this rule: make absolutely certain there is NO air gap between the base of the boolit and the powder column. BP expands really fast, so no gaps. Beyond that, it's pretty straight forward. Not that you should take risks. It's just that those cartridges are meant to be fully loaded, so you really can't "over charge" them the way you can with smokeless.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    No gap seems to be the one constant with BP. Do you just seat the bullet on the powder with a bit of compression or do you use a wad between bullet and powder. I want to keep this simple for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom