• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nethinim

Mar 1, 2011
    good morning all

just over two years ago I joined this forum because I am living in Delaware and was shooting at elk neck and was seeking clarity on sb281.

my initial question was could I continue to bring my AR platform into Maryland to shoot. because as I read the law it was illegal and a felony to transport my ar in and out of Maryland. in 2013 I received two responses one said no and one said maybe.

have not shot ar's in over 2 years. no place to shoot them.

so

I now shoot at a private range near galena. I was their shooting my bolt gun talking to another Delaware resident. he showed me an email reply from a Colonel Pallozzi "md state police" whom he asked about bringing his ar into md.

the email states " as long as the ar was purchased prior to oct 1 2013 you may bring your firearm with you (to range). if your ar was purchased after oct 1 2013 you may not bring it into Maryland".

email cites criminal law 4-303 (b) (3) "lawfully possess" "have purchase order for" or "completed application to purchase an assault long gun" prior to oct 1 2013 may possess and transport an assault long gun or copycat weapon.

I would really like to shoot the ar's again they have only been out of cases to be oiled for 2 years.

my issue is I am a therapist and am required to be licensed to work. and will lose my license if convicted of felony "transporting an ar into md."??

so what I get from this other Delaware resident shooting in md response by md state police.

is that as long as I can prove that I purchased my ar's before oct 1 2013 I am not breaking law transporting my ar's into md.

like I said I cannot afford a felony charge I would lose my lively hood.

so some clairification / confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

it said as long as ar's

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    As long as the AR were purchased pre SB281, you are good to go. If after, they must be heavy barreled.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    good morning all

just over two years ago I joined this forum because I am living in Delaware and was shooting at elk neck and was seeking clarity on sb281.

my initial question was could I continue to bring my AR platform into Maryland to shoot. because as I read the law it was illegal and a felony to transport my ar in and out of Maryland. in 2013 I received two responses one said no and one said maybe.

so

I now shoot at a private range near galena. I was their shooting my bolt gun talking to another Delaware resident. he showed me an email reply from a Colonel Pallozzi "md state police" whom he asked about bringing his ar into md.

the email states " as long as the ar was purchased prior to oct 1 2013 you may bring your firearm with you (to range). if your ar was purchased after oct 1 2013 you may not bring it into Maryland".

email cites criminal law 4-303 (b) (3) "lawfully possess" "have purchase order for" or "completed application to purchase an assault long gun" prior to oct 1 2013 may possess and transport an assault long gun or copycat weapon.

I would really like to shoot the ar's again they have only been out of cases to be oiled for 2 years.

my issue is I am a therapist and am required to be licensed to work. and will lose my license if convicted of felony "transporting an ar into md."??

so what I get from this other Delaware resident shooting in md response by md state police.

is that as long as I can prove that I purchased my ar's before oct 1 2013 I am not breaking law transporting my ar's into md.

thanks

it said as long as ar's

So I have to ask, what is the actual cause of the fear you have of bringing your firearms into MD?
    Law enforcement doesn't pull everyone over and check their firearms at the state boarder.
    Law enforcement doesn't stand at every range and check every firearm pulled out of the case to be fired.
    Law enforcement doesn't pull anyone over going to or coming from a range and check their firearms.

So I have to ask, what is your actual fear? How do you perceive the possibility of coming under a situation that would require law enforcement to check your firearms?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So if it is not legal for him to bring them here, you are suggesting he ignore the law?

Many people don't want to break the law, even if there is little chance they will be caught.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    is that as long as I can prove that I purchased my ar's before oct 1 2013 I am not breaking law transporting my ar's into md

Since Maryland is still technically part of the USA, the state would have to prove you acquired it after 10/1/13. There is no burden on you to prove your innocence. It may be wise to keep receipts or transfer papers but you shouldn't need to carry them around with the rifle.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Gosh this thread got off to a great start.

The email you got was accurate.

If it is banned now you had to have it before the effective date of the law to continue to bring it in to MD. Burden of proof should fall on the state.

Remember AR15 HBARs are not banned so they don't matter.

You can transport a rifle for any legal purposes in MD assuming it is unloaded.

Transporting it loaded might run you afoul of DNR hunting regulations.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The one exception to bringing a post-SB281 rifle into MD is if and only if you are passing though, although i cannot remember exactly why, just it has to do with interstate travel laws. Some one care to confirm/cite that?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Why don't you email Colonel Pallozzi yourself and get the answers straight from the horses mouth instead of relying on random opinions garnered from a internet board?

nethinim

Mar 1, 2011
    thank you
    mac1 131

and thank you all who have attempted to be helpful.

unfortunately mac1 131 you can see why it has been 2 yrs since I have been on your forum

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Why not? The email he obtained says that he is GTG, all his AR's are pre SB 281. OP if you are still unsure send and email and/or look at the law itself.

He saw an email someone else had.

Before FSA 2013, most AR 15s were regulated in MD and registered. Now most are banned.
    He is not a citizen of Maryland, FOPA won't cover him as MD is his destination.

He says "AR Platform" AR10?? SBR? He's not clear.

Why take the chance, a mere arrest may ruin his career.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The one exception to bringing a post-SB281 rifle into MD is if and only if you are passing though, although i cannot remember exactly why, just it has to do with interstate travel laws. Some one care to confirm/cite that?
    He did state FOPA only protects you while passing through MD. That part is correct. If MD is your destination it would be illegal, if it's a post 10-1-13 non HBAR.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    good morning all

so

thanks

it said as long as ar's

You have to prove nothing. If it were to be questioned, the burden of proof is on the State.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    As long as the AR were purchased pre SB281, you are good to go. If after, they must be heavy barreled.

He did state FOPA only protects you while passing through MD. That part is correct. If MD is your destination it would be illegal, if it's a post 10-1-13 non HBAR.

The above true and correct. To my understanding of our crazy laws; I'm not a lawyer.

thank you
    mac1 131

and thank you all who have attempted to be helpful.

unfortunately mac1 131 you can see why it has been 2 yrs since I have been on your forum

Glad the advice helped, and sorry you feel out of place. I don't always agree with dblas, but I don't think he intended anything negative. Like he and several others have said, the police would have to prove you purchased after the new law went into effect; this would only happen if there were a problem.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Many people don't want to break the law, even if there is little chance they will be caught.

Sadly this. :sad20:

As complicated and oppressive the PRMDs laws are WRT 2A, I can easily see how the lawful citizen is fearful of doing the wrong thing.

These laws only impact the lawful, not the lawless.

Of course I realize I'm preaching to the choir here :rolleyes:

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    One of the (many) goals of SB281 was to make it exceedingly difficult to know exactly where the law stands. In essence, a deterrent to owning firearms as they may/may not be legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom